• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
27 27

4,098 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Actually yes, someone did say that...

Don’t have the time to produce an analysis, but I can tell you I certainly was not factoring in the last 15yrs lol. What key hasn’t increased multiples in that timeframe? None, so let’s just disregard that statement.

Spot checking various grades, going back a couple years, yields very “meh” results in price increase. But, data can be selectively sliced and diced to prove any point, so I’m cool with agreeing to disagree.

FF4 has a lot of room to grow imo...

"I've never seen a book increase in price so high so fast." - yes a different boardie said that...

I agree that data can be sliced & diced to illustrate a point. And I certainly did that.

However, overall, FF #1-6 are trending upward. Sharply in the past three years, compared to the prior three or thirteen.

FF has some hefty speculation buzz behind it with Disney acquiring the rights from Fox.

I'll absolutely agree with you that FF #4 has room to grow. (thumbsu

3 hours ago, Getoutandstayout said:

I bought a mid-grade FF #4 back in '90 or so for about $75, then like an id-iot sold it a few years later for some magic beans. Still kicking myself over that.

Yeah well, it sounds like you haven’t even tried to use the magic beans!  For goodness sake, man, USE the beans!!!

15 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Fantastic Four #4 is one of my favorite comics. I personally would rank it higher than #5, but I’m in a tiny minority there.

Every panel of this book feels historic to me. Sadly, this is my version of an upgrade!

4A0A98F4-84E6-44EF-A07A-073BC0616D5F.thumb.jpeg.1a3b33d0b77bf461d6229ef0e3bfdd4b.jpeg

your sad upgrade copy looks way better than my no copy

On 8/3/2020 at 4:59 PM, KirbyJack said:

Fantastic Four #4 is one of my favorite comics. I personally would rank it higher than #5, but I’m in a tiny minority there.

Every panel of this book feels historic to me. Sadly, this is my version of an upgrade!

4A0A98F4-84E6-44EF-A07A-073BC0616D5F.thumb.jpeg.1a3b33d0b77bf461d6229ef0e3bfdd4b.jpeg

I wish I were as sad as you :(

On 8/3/2020 at 12:01 PM, thehumantorch said:
On 8/3/2020 at 11:57 AM, KirbyJack said:

Much tougher than Avengers 4.

Indeed, it's a very early SA Marvel.

And yet, like every SA Marvel and most SA DC books now, as long as you are willing to pay you can buy a copy 24/7/365.

On 8/3/2020 at 2:39 PM, HighVoltage said:

Here's one data viewpoint for you.

FF 4 in cgc 7.0 (GPA)

The book roughly triples in value in a 15 year period (2002-2017)

Then it roughly triples in value again in a three year period (2017/18 to 2020)

I'd argue the run-up has already begun.

FF is just a title with some speculation/heat behind it right now, and the first 6 issues have jumped up the past 3 years (for the most part).

No - it's not unprecedented, but no one said that.

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 2.23.27 PM.png

My 7.0 sold for a nice price in the Clink July auction, but it will not be reported. 

This is the only Heritage book I have bought that I was disappointed to receive. The reason - I thought I was bidding on a copy of FF 5 but bid on the wrong book after a few beverages. When I got it I was pissed and went to quickly check the auction results thinking it was a shipping error. 😂

2 hours ago, kimik said:

And yet, like every SA Marvel and most SA DC books now, as long as you are willing to pay you can buy a copy 24/7/365.

???

Sure, maybe if you don't care about grade or raw vs. slabbed.  But if you're targeting high grade, FF 4's do not come along very often and when they do, they are usually priced very aggressively, daring you to pay well above GPA and requiring you to cave or show patience (in which case you do not get to buy the book).

2 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

???

Sure, maybe if you don't care about grade or raw vs. slabbed.  But if you're targeting high grade, FF 4's do not come along very often and when they do, they are usually priced very aggressively, daring you to pay well above GPA and requiring you to cave or show patience (in which case you do not get to buy the book).

Did the 9.4 Bob Storms sold last year resurface already? If not, it should soon based on a conversation with time owner earlier this year.

48 minutes ago, kimik said:

Did the 9.4 Bob Storms sold last year resurface already? If not, it should soon based on a conversation with time owner earlier this year.

Ah, I wish I knew the Owner of Time well enough to have a conversation with them.

I would have a lot of issues to discuss.

On 7/13/2020 at 4:04 PM, HuddyBee said:
On 7/13/2020 at 3:33 PM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Not to be argumentative, but you're forgetting Doll Man from Quality comics.

:facepalm: Thank you. How could I forget Doll Man?

To be technically correct (which is the best kind of correct), Shrinking Violet also preceded SA Atom by a few months.

As to silver age DC speculation, when's Metamorpho getting his own movie? (let the Shazam people handle it!)

8 minutes ago, solm4st3r said:

:whatthe:

I paid less than that for my 9.4 two years ago!