• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE HULK #181 CLUB
24 24

1,668 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Laita said:

I fell out of the 181 club hard this week selling both my 9.4 and 9.0....  such mixed emotions lol... but I think the time is right, will get back in the club when the next recession hits, haha ;)

Hmmn, not sure that's a good idea. If the 09 calamity could only effect 9.8s I'm not sure a standard recession would have much effect on most grades. Prices could be out of reach by that point. 

14 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Hmmn, not sure that's a good idea. If the 09 calamity could only effect 9.8s I'm not sure a standard recession would have much effect on most grades. Prices could be out of reach by that point. 

I'll be ok if I never have one in my safe again, plenty of other decent keys in there, lol. I just don't think the sudden 2018 doubling/tripling in price (not just in 181's, but in many keys) is sustainable.  Bound to be a correction, add that to the fact that people are willing to spend many times more than a book is worth simply because there is an appearance of a booming economy.. well, just putting my bet on a big reversal in the economy and in these prices in the coming years.  Who knows.. 

33 minutes ago, Laita said:

I'll be ok if I never have one in my safe again, plenty of other decent keys in there, lol. I just don't think the sudden 2018 doubling/tripling in price (not just in 181's, but in many keys) is sustainable.  Bound to be a correction, add that to the fact that people are willing to spend many times more than a book is worth simply because there is an appearance of a booming economy.. well, just putting my bet on a big reversal in the economy and in these prices in the coming years.  Who knows.. 

Agree with you. Any "boom" going on while the national debt clock will soon run out of space to fit all the numbers in is as trustworthy as a 3 dollar bill. It's laughable & gotten beyond Monopoly money at this point! 

I just think there would have to be some crazy catastrophic shock worse than 10 years ago for comic values to take a systemic hit. Just an opinion but if someone really wants a 181 now's the time

18 hours ago, Laita said:

I fell out of the 181 club hard this week selling both my 9.4 and 9.0....  such mixed emotions lol... but I think the time is right, will get back in the club when the next recession hits, haha ;)

Good time to sell IMHO, hope they did well for you. (thumbsu

I want to sell my 7.0 WP copy but haven’t been able to get myself to do it.... I was offered $3,600 cash a few days ago and that offer is still on the table. Been seriously thinking about it. I’m open for opinions. I bought it last year for $1,500. 

Edited by Turb0wned

15 minutes ago, Turb0wned said:

I want to sell my 7.0 WP copy but haven’t been able to get myself to do it.... I was offered $3,600 cash a few days ago and that offer is still on the table. Been seriously thinking about it. I’m open for opinions. I bought it last year for $1,500. 

If you need the cash, sell it.

If you don't need the cash, keep it.  Hulk 181 will always sell, now, tomorrow, and beyond...... just a matter of how much do you want.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:23 PM, pickycollector said:

Here is my unpressed 9.0 copy. Better eye-appeal than a 9.4 that I previously owned.

Gorgeous spine and corners but it has a small non color breaking ding on upper left corner.

One reputable Forum member saw the book in hands and told me that with pressing and cleaning, this book could get 9.4/9.6.

Well, that will NOT happen, I like it like this !

img372.thumb.jpg.2aa3f378898b68d79b6792e07d0a5593.jpg

sweet copy.

funny story I will share, many years ago a co-worker had about $800 and ask me he wanted to invest his money into a comic book- so I bought off eBay a hulk 181 cgc 9.0 copy for around $700 years back. maybe couple months later he came back and ask me to sale the copy he needed the money back. now that copy its many times more valuable. Switch jobs and lost contact with him in 2006. Will like to share this story with him if I ever come across him.  

9 hours ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

I bought this copy back in 1981 for a whopping $15.00 , the book guided  $5.25 in the Overstreet  that year . The thing I remember most  is the dealer selling it to me said it was mint......yeah right. 

I had it slabbed in the early 2000s it came back 9.2 WP  not mint like the comic dealer told me but for what I paid how could I complain.

IH181(92w)-BJ0+.jpg

$15 WOW how times have changed.

On 9/28/2018 at 11:26 PM, Chaos_in_Canada said:

I bought this copy back in 1981 for a whopping $15.00 , the book guided  $5.25 in the Overstreet  that year . The thing I remember most  is the dealer selling it to me said it was mint......yeah right. 

I had it slabbed in the early 2000s it came back 9.2 WP  not mint like the comic dealer told me but for what I paid how could I complain.

IH181(92w)-BJ0+.jpg

That's a beautiful, great wrapped copy.  Back in 81, many dealers used the G, F & M grading scale.  He was pretty close.