• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE HULK #181 CLUB
24 24

1,668 posts in this topic

On 6/21/2019 at 1:15 PM, DST said:

My new keeper copy.  One of the nicest I’ve ever seen with a perfect wrap and centering and bright colors.  Had to have it:cloud9:

47232448-96F0-4C18-AB03-4E74191BB31E.thumb.jpeg.763239fbcdaea06da2bcac6b9c553f88.jpeg 

Wow. Probably the best I have seen yet. Congrats. Man it’s a beauty  

Curious if people find any good deals at local comic shows still.  

38 minutes ago, rokstarr99 said:

Picked this up online for $1500.  Sent it to my presser and subbed for grading.  Came back a 9.0 with grader notes that said cockling front and back cover.  Subbed to CCS for repress and ended up with this...:bigsmile:.  Never thought I'd own one. Of course the wife thinks i should sell it.....lesson learned...no matter how childish your lady thinks you are for collecting comics, never tell her what they're worth...lol.

hulk.jpg

Wow! Congrats! glad you stuck to the pressing to make it work :) 

Cockling is from using the wrong materials, glad it worked out in the end for you. I remember paying 2500 for my 9.4 ow/w back in the early 2000s. Don't have it anymore since I traded it away for some magic beans.  

4 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Cockling is from using the wrong materials, glad it worked out in the end for you. I remember paying 2500 for my 9.4 ow/w back in the early 2000s. Don't have it anymore since I traded it away for some magic beans.  

According to CGC........

Cockling is caused by an excessive amount of heat or humidity applied during pressing.

Cockling occurs on the front and / or back cover of an improperly pressed book, giving the appearance of waves throughout the cover. This defect is common to pressed books — either in an isolated area of the cover or over the entire cover — and it occurs when an excessive amount of heat or humidity is applied during pressing. Signs of cockling may not become apparent until some time has passed after pressing. Cockling can be corrected nearly 100% of the time with a proper pressing.

5 minutes ago, justin said:

And also this just came in. They finally started putting “Ad for Incredible Hulk 181” on the label! However I have to send it back because it should be PG instead of NG

CDBDB369-BB27-4661-8631-D7C5A85B65B3.jpeg

will they for real put "PG"?

Also do they now put it on the label of Marvel Premiere 19 ad page?

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
10 minutes ago, justin said:

And also this just came in. They finally started putting “Ad for Incredible Hulk 181” on the label! However I have to send it back because it should be PG instead of NG

will they for real put "PG"?

Also do they now put it on the label of Marvel Premiere 19 ad page?

GetImage.aspx?c=3206904&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=

Here is my old label

2 hours ago, justin said:

Hey just curious did you have to request that you wanted the side of the page where the ad is to be on the front of the slab? 

I honestly don't know how they decide whether it gets an NG or a PG designation? Anyways why would that be important to you? It looks great the way it is

Edited by MGsimba77

9 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Hey just curious did you have to request that you wanted the side of the page where the ad is to be on the front of the slab? 

I honestly don't know how they decide whether it gets an NG or a PG designation? Anyways why would that be important to you? It looks great the way it is

I'm purely guessing, but I believe that on his the ad is on the front side in the book, as you can see i MP #19 it is on the "front" too, I believe most MVS are on that side of the page...

I don't know if that helps :foryou: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm purely guessing, but I believe that on his the ad is on the front side in the book, as you can see i MP #19 it is on the "front" too, I believe most MVS are on that side of the page...

Yeah you're right. I'm wondering since I want to submit a page to be slabbed  but want the back side of the page to be on the front of the slab. I'm pretty sure I'd have to request that in writing.

Just now, MGsimba77 said:
11 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yeah you're right. I'm wondering since I want to submit a page to be slabbed  but want the back side of the page to be on the front of the slab. I'm pretty sure I'd have to request that in writing.

ya I don't know how they handle it on a case by case, but when your flipping through comics the MVS usually shows up first so I guess that is the "front" lol 

but if they did start adding "Hulk Ad" to the slab, I think that would make it look sweet, since it would be on front.....

I'm sure there are other issues worth the pages, I just kind of fell into MP#19 lol, even though I might have over paid idk lol 

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

I didn’t request. I just assumed that they would put the ad on the front because other graded pages had the ad on the front.

PG is important to me because I have other graded pages that are PG and I want it to match. Also, I just noticed that CGC accidentally wrote “Page 10 only” twice on the label. 

On 7/1/2019 at 7:38 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

According to CGC........

Cockling is caused by an excessive amount of heat or humidity applied during pressing.

Cockling occurs on the front and / or back cover of an improperly pressed book, giving the appearance of waves throughout the cover. This defect is common to pressed books — either in an isolated area of the cover or over the entire cover — and it occurs when an excessive amount of heat or humidity is applied during pressing. Signs of cockling may not become apparent until some time has passed after pressing. Cockling can be corrected nearly 100% of the time with a proper pressing.

I was thinking pebbling for some reason  

On 7/1/2019 at 6:38 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

According to CGC........

I'm surprised no one asked who the original presser was.