• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE HULK #181 CLUB
24 24

1,668 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, joeypost said:

I am assuming he is no longer pressing books for him. 

I never get those kinds of graders notes from the guy I use :cloud9:

I assume without the MVS it would get a green label.  I'd get it slabbed just because I'd definitely want that displayed on my wall and the cgc cases display well in frames. I'm... assuming the after 5 years story you're telling was at least two years ago?

Actually, if you specifically request a blue label will they just deduct a set point number for the missing MVS and keep it a blue label?

1 hour ago, davebo357 said:

I assume without the MVS it would get a green label.  I'd get it slabbed just because I'd definitely want that displayed on my wall and the cgc cases display well in frames. I'm... assuming the after 5 years story you're telling was at least two years ago?

Actually, if you specifically request a blue label will they just deduct a set point number for the missing MVS and keep it a blue label?

Nah I got the book back 2014 but I had been hunting for it since 2009 when I got back into collecting. I had no idea I could request the blue label! Never heard of that. I wonder what grade that would knock me down to. Thanks!

On 8/13/2019 at 2:33 PM, davebo357 said:

i didn't know you could request a blue label...  that bullsh!t on cgc's part for allowing that.

On 8/20/2019 at 7:57 PM, engelhard said:

i didn't know you could request a blue label...  that bullsh!t on cgc's part for allowing that.

That's why I said "will they" and put a question mark at the end. I thought I remembered reading that somewhere but I was just asking, I have no idea if they'll do that.  But honestly why wouldn't they?  What difference would it make?  Seems like the green label should be the special request where you're saying hey, what kind of decent grade could this get were it not for this huge glaring problem with the book.  If you had a 9.8 quality book but it had a page ripped in half that took it down to an 8.0 or something, wouldn't that be worth way less than a green 9.8 anyway?

7 hours ago, davebo357 said:

That's why I said "will they" and put a question mark at the end. I thought I remembered reading that somewhere but I was just asking, I have no idea if they'll do that.  But honestly why wouldn't they?  What difference would it make?  Seems like the green label should be the special request where you're saying hey, what kind of decent grade could this get were it not for this huge glaring problem with the book.  If you had a 9.8 quality book but it had a page ripped in half that took it down to an 8.0 or something, wouldn't that be worth way less than a green 9.8 anyway?

if i bought a hulk #181 for example CGC blue label no matter the grade.... i would expect the book to be a 100% complete.

green label does not equal bad for me... i just like to know what im getting

i have a book on its way back from cgc and i know its coming back with a green label because of the sig on the front cover

On 7/29/2019 at 1:20 PM, justin said:

So I got it back from CGC and they fixed the initial problems but then they removed the text “ad for Incredible Hulk 181”!!! Grrrr 😡. Back to CGC it goes 

CE4B9E8C-7A65-4829-A75B-8158BABAB4FD.jpeg

I got it back again from CGC and guess what? They didn’t change a damn thing. It’s gotta go back again 😡

On 8/22/2019 at 7:19 AM, engelhard said:

if i bought a hulk #181 for example CGC blue label no matter the grade.... i would expect the book to be a 100% complete.

I am guessing blue label with the MVS missing would be NG incomplete?

The only raw comic I've had graded was Hulk 181, and my untrained eye would have given it about a 6, except that the MVS had been cut out by the original owner, placed in the MVS collector book with tape, then placed back in 181 with archival tape in the proper location, so the fact that there was a cut along the page and tape on it ended up giving it a 4.5 blue label grade.  That was submitted through my LCS so I don't have the graders notes or anything.  Frankly I would love to grab a 5.0 for the price that presented like a 9.8 on the front and back covers but that some chimpanzee had chewed on the pages inside to get it that grade.  I like displaying these cgc's so I'm always more concerned with the covers.

Nice centering. Very nice Apollo. I actually won a Hulk 181 9.6 in a raffle on IG.  Crazy huh?  Cost me around $120 in entry fees. ;) Can’t wait to get it...currently just have a 8.5. 

Keep,posting  never get tired of this one  

Edited by Gruson