• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE HULK #181 CLUB
24 24

1,668 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

There's no way I would have that book signed, if it were mine.  

may i ask why?  considering romita and thomas are the only ones left alive?

2 minutes ago, god503 said:

I don't like  names written on the cover of my books.   Also, it's a big risk cracking a 9.6 book of this caliber, getting it signed, witnessed and re-graded.  

3 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I don't like  names written on the cover of my books.   Also, it's a big risk cracking a 9.6 book of this caliber, getting it signed, witnessed and re-graded.  

point taken on the regrade risk.  based on the pics posted that 9.6 book looks the same and if not better than the 9.8's i just got back from the todd father signing. (still trying to understand some of these grade calls between 9.4-9.8... O.o  low risk, high reward here?  

4 hours ago, god503 said:

point taken on the regrade risk.  based on the pics posted that 9.6 book looks the same and if not better than the 9.8's i just got back from the todd father signing. (still trying to understand some of these grade calls between 9.4-9.8... O.o  low risk, high reward here?  

High risk.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 11:15 AM, god503 said:

IS IT TRUE THAT JOHN ROMITA SR. DID WORK ON 181???????  AND IF IT IS TRUE....  WOULD YOU LET HIM SIGN 181???   

Legend has it he remarked the Hulk head over Trimpe's version. IMO, Hulks head always looked topo small in that picture.

On 3/6/2020 at 12:32 PM, god503 said:
On 3/6/2020 at 12:20 PM, comicdonna said:

There's no way I would have that book signed, if it were mine.  

Thomas brainstormed the character but his sig wouldn't really command too much of a premium so maybe not worth running the risk (albeit small) of a corner ding or whatever. Romita may be but its tricky on that particular book. Yes there's a group of collectors that would pay a healthy markup but I suspect it's a small group. Romita was the art director at the time so he put pencil to paper and designed the original costume at the behest of Thomas. People get finicky about sigs from those who didn't work on the book even if they partly created the character. 

The potential reward of a Romita sig is high but the pool of buyers is likely much smaller. You also have to consider black or silver ink and the location of the sig. That gets more tricky. If it's a book he worked on then hell yeah it's all worthwhile but again, I don't know if it's ideal on IH181. Just my opinion I would pay a higher markup with a Wein or Trimpe sig on that over a Romita. RIP to both :(. Wein had more involvement in the development of the character. Signatures are complicated in the open market!

I think keeping it signature free is the best way to go (thumbsu but to each their own

On 3/6/2020 at 12:32 PM, god503 said:

may i ask why?

I wouldn't have it signed either. At a 9.6, any handling can lower the grade. No use in jinxing that. Plus, there is a great charm to having a book that looks as fresh as when it was first on the shelves and signing it would take a bit of that untouched mint feel away, simply by it not being like that when it was first released. Those would be my personal reasons.

With respect to the pricing trend for the Hulk 181's, copy that sold for $31,200 still within the average GPA range for a CGC 9.8 graded copy:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/the-incredible-hulk-181-marvel-1974-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7224-91062.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, The Incredible Hulk #181 (Marvel, 1974) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

Just wondering since I remember a copy going for $59K last year, but that one there was most definitely more of an :screwy: outlier than anything else, as I believe prices have generally been in the low $30K to high $30K range for the Hulk 181's in this grade for the past year or so.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

With respect to the pricing trend for the Hulk 181's, copy that sold for $31,200 still within the average GPA range for a CGC 9.8 graded copy:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/the-incredible-hulk-181-marvel-1974-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7224-91062.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Superhero, The Incredible Hulk #181 (Marvel, 1974) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

Just wondering since I remember a copy going for $59K last year, but that one there was most definitely more of an :screwy: outlier than anything else, as I believe prices have generally been in the low $30K to high $30K range for the Hulk 181's in this grade for the past year or so.  hm

The 59k has been discussed tossed around once or twice here lol

Was it because of the cva the mile high 2 (not even a pedigree anymore btw) or the color depth and centering maybe a combination of all? I happen to think because of the history of cva on CLink its because of that plus it "appears" to have exceptional color depth. Either way it was a wild departure from normal range even for a Clink CVA. 

I'm guessing that's something you may see again if MCU ever makes a serious announcement involving Wolverine. Not before I don't think 

14 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Was it because of the cva the mile high 2 (not even a pedigree anymore btw) or the color depth and centering maybe a combination of all? I happen to think because of the history of cva on CLink its because of that plus it "appears" to have exceptional color depth. Either way it was a wild departure from normal range even for a Clink CVA. 

Well, I guess it's really a matter of whether a consignor is willing to pay for the CVA check or not then?  :pullhair:

I assume CL must be hoping that if books don't have it, then bidders will see them from a visual presentation point of view, similar to how bidders view raw books as compared to slabbed books from a grading condition point of view.  hm  (shrug)

12 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I have stepped up to a higher level. I traded my IH #181 CGC 5.0 and cash for a IH #181 CGC 8.5. Thanks to @Omaha-CGC-Comics for working with me on this transaction.

IH181.jpg

That's a ^^

Congrats all around!

6 minutes ago, GAMBIT said:

Stuck at home and updating my Membership cards!

:cloud9: :x

11.jpg

Oldish label check! 

Great centering check :)

congrats! :tink:thought about upgrading mine, but may take it easy and live vicariously lol

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Oldish label check! 

Great centering check :)

congrats! :tink:thought about upgrading mine, but may take it easy and live vicariously lol

Haha thanks! ..! I remember when these where the "newish" labels... I'm getting old! Ahh lol

Edited by GAMBIT

12 hours ago, TTony said:

Maybe not for the next couple of months.  :mad: Just saw about a 10% drop on a 7.5.  Is that common across all grades?

definitely a buyers market. "IF" you can spare the cash...  negotiated a few deals off ebay that seemed not doable a few weeks a go