• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE HULK #181 CLUB
24 24

1,668 posts in this topic

I bought a Blue Bolt 108 from Ted at superworld comics a few months back. 

Ted has been a pretty big dealer for long long time. In passing conversation he said that two books that always have huge demand are AF15 and Hulk 181.  If 150k high grade copies hit the market tomorrow, demand would still be there. 

The price isn't artificially inflated. The demand for this book is huge. Also, i'm not sure what the print count is on this book...  That would require like 4 minutes of research...  but, I doubt 150k uncirculated copies are out there 40+ years after production. That would be a huge % of the total printed books. 

Didn't Danny Dupack claim to find a warehouse full of uncirculated high grade SA books? Only to find out he was just buying raw copies and doctoring them to make them look high grade? 

Stories of uncirculated boxes of key comics are like stories of pirates treasure.  There may be some truth to it, but there are allot more disappointed old men with metal detectors walking the beaches of cape cod. 

On 1/1/2021 at 8:17 AM, Archaeos said:

Pretty new to forums and for my first post wanted to make it a good one....finally joined the club.

95C2B968-7710-412E-8743-23E43C71F550.jpeg

That's a nice off-white pager. Super looking, it's the grade I could afford after "working" in school for it ...

5 hours ago, www.alexgross.com said:

this 9.0 just sold on HA for the pretty dull price of $5,280. well under recent sales. perhaps because it is shockingly overgraded. this would be lucky to get an 8.0 if graded now. check out all the spine ticks. 

Seriously?  I'd jump at the chance to own a 9.0 for that price... but not that one.  Does it come with EXTRA Marvel Value Stamps inside or something?

On 1/6/2021 at 10:56 AM, www.alexgross.com said:

this 9.0 just sold on HA for the pretty dull price of $5,280. well under recent sales. perhaps because it is shockingly overgraded. this would be lucky to get an 8.0 if graded now. check out all the spine ticks. 

766CFF74-5114-42B4-8864-A16513954170.jpeg

46F84581-4578-4DC8-A165-6FA356D3F6BA.jpeg

I need to be a part of this club again.  What are 9.0 and 9.2 going for now? What's the GPA?

14 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

gocollect is free to see fair market values. check it out. 

Just did thanks.  I have not seen a 8.0 for $4200 in a long time. The 9.2 price seems low too. Thanks for the info and I will keep my eyes open. :wishluck:

15 hours ago, carter3175 said:

Just did thanks.  I have not seen a 8.0 for $4200 in a long time. The 9.2 price seems low too. Thanks for the info and I will keep my eyes open. :wishluck:

it is low, all their FMV err on the low side. if you're financially secure enough to be looking at some key purchases, you might want to spend the small amount for a gocollect subscription. then you can see all sales results, to give you a clearer picture of recent sales. it's worth the pesos. 

My 1 goal this year is upgrade my 181 from 7.0 to 9.0. Am I best off trying to do this at a con if they come back? Would a dealer accept a trade and cash usually and not destroy me on the price for the 7.0?

Not ready until summer; saving now. 

15 hours ago, jason4 said:

My 1 goal this year is upgrade my 181 from 7.0 to 9.0. Am I best off trying to do this at a con if they come back? Would a dealer accept a trade and cash usually and not destroy me on the price for the 7.0?

you'd prob do better to sell the 7.0 here and just put the cash into a 9.0 when you find the right one. most dealers at cons are not paying top end of the market for books as there is significant overhead involved to appearing at cons. and books like hulk181 are usually pricey to buy at cons too as they are what everyone is seeking. just my two cents, as someone who's been in this same situation. 

Hey, 

Any thoughts on trying to trade or sell my 181 CGC 9.0  for a low mid grade of ASM 1, maybe even paying some extra cash for the ASM 1. 

I've always been more of a spidey fan and I feel like long term the ASM 1 will do better .

Thoughts? 

Thanks everyone! 

And conversely, I have a beautiful copy of 181 that i was told by an expert in the industry was at least a 9.0. Sent it to CGC and it came back and 8.0 WP I was pissed so I sent it to CBCS and it came back a 9.0 WP. That's a pretty big swing and I feel like CGC is more inconsistent in its grading, just saying. I've seen some wack copies that are clearly worse than my copy but have higher grades.  

On 1/13/2021 at 12:00 AM, www.alexgross.com said:

you'd prob do better to sell the 7.0 here and just put the cash into a 9.0 when you find the right one. most dealers at cons are not paying top end of the market for books as there is significant overhead involved to appearing at cons. and books like hulk181 are usually pricey to buy at cons too as they are what everyone is seeking. just my two cents, as someone who's been in this same situation. 

I agree totally. 

It's tough to get full value in a trade with a dealer.  You could try finding a trade partner on the boards who wants to down grade. 

But the easiest thing to do is sell and put the $$ toward an upgrade. 

Hideous 9.0

On 1/12/2021 at 8:37 AM, jason4 said:

Do not do this...I implore you...sell the 7.0 privately if possible, have the cash on hand when the right 9.0 comes along