• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE HULK #181 CLUB
24 24

1,668 posts in this topic

On 2/10/2021 at 7:39 PM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Seeing the huge spike in prices for X-Men #1 recently made me nervous about not having a copy of this one.  I decided I had better grab one before it was too unreasonable.  It just came in the mail today.  So pretty.

1 Incredible Hulk #181.jpg

Smart move and nice comic! 

8 hours ago, drbanner said:

This sold for $21,350 on Clink last night...the other 9.4 copy (bottom pic) in the same auction sold for $13,550 a week ago. :whatthe:

00000162394000113769853001.jpg

RAD0F5A9202122_163620.jpg

That 21k 9.4 is as much of an earthquake as the 40k GSXM. I can't help but to think that's going to reset the market. The sellers with bin listings up can't afford to snooze unless they're asking like 30k for 9.4s

And btw, there hasn't been a sale of 180 in 9.8 in like a year or so. All this has to be spilling over to 180s!

Edited by MGsimba77

13 hours ago, drbanner said:

This sold for $21,350 on Clink last night...the other 9.4 copy (bottom pic) in the same auction sold for $13,550 a week ago. :whatthe:

But I thought that W pages does not fetch a premium..........:devil:

6 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:
14 hours ago, drbanner said:

Expand  

That 21k 9.4 is as much of an earthquake as the 40k GSXM. I can't help but to think that's going to reset the market. The sellers with bin listings up can't afford to snooze unless they're asking like 30k for 9.4s

There seem to be a lot of last minute bidding (i.e. 6 bids) in the last 30 seconds of the first auction last week that finished up at only $13,550.  (thumbsu

Maybe 2 of the losers from last week's auction didn't want to miss out this time, because in the second auction last night, the bidding went up to only the $14K mark before 2 atomic bomb style bids came in during the last 20 seconds of the auction to bump it up into the $21K+ price range.  Hence, probably more of an outlier than the new normal for now, unless you can see a confirming auction that takes it up to this price point on a one incremental step by step basis.  hm  (shrug)

32 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

There seem to be a lot of last minute bidding (i.e. 6 bids) in the last 30 seconds of the first auction last week that finished up at only $13,550.  (thumbsu

Maybe 2 of the losers from last week's auction didn't want to miss out this time, because in the second auction last night, the bidding went up to only the $14K mark before 2 atomic bomb style bids came in during the last 20 seconds of the auction to bump it up into the $21K+ price range.  Hence, probably more of an outlier than the new normal for now, unless you can see a confirming auction that takes it up to this price point on a one incremental step by step basis.  hm  (shrug)

For whatever its worth, there was a 9.4 on HA in January with maybe some color fading (I'm not sure) that hammered at well over 15k. I think that result may have played into these auctions. If there's a 9.4 a comes up with perfect centering and deep red I would suspect it gets close to the 20k result so I'm not sure that's going to be a wild outlier. To me there's no such thing as an "unappealing" 181, they're all appealing but I don't think any of these latest 9 4s auctioned were copies that you'd think would fetch these #s. 

I don't think we can assume too much from the last second sniping other than maybe some FOMO creeping in.

Edited by MGsimba77

5 hours ago, kimik said:

But I thought that W pages does not fetch a premium..........:devil:

I wonder what ever happened to our favorite white pages don't matter advocate? lol

If page quality and miniscule differences between 9.2/9.4/9/6/9.8 didn't matter then every high grade book would just be in "nice shape with great pages" and the Church collection wouldn't be so special. I find the dissing of "label chasers" the same as the dissing of page quality chasers, we can all disagree with CGC grades but a book with no spine stresses is much more desirable than a book with a 1 mm spine stress...condition matters in every collectible field, not just comics.

46 minutes ago, drbanner said:

I wonder what ever happened to our favorite white pages don't matter advocate? lol

If page quality and miniscule differences between 9.2/9.4/9/6/9.8 didn't matter then every high grade book would just be in "nice shape with great pages" and the Church collection wouldn't be so special. I find the dissing of "label chasers" the same as the dissing of page quality chasers, we can all disagree with CGC grades but a book with no spine stresses is much more desirable than a book with a 1 mm spine stress...condition matters in every collectible field, not just comics.

Yup. W pages matter for all books, just like newsstand copies matter for Copper..........

1 hour ago, drbanner said:

lmao! i didnt know said person was not posting as i blocked them long ago. 

21k may be an outlier but with whats happening with far lesser books these days, i'm guessing it's only the beginning of even higher prices. this book in most higher grades has been pretty flat for a few years so it's probably due for a bump, just not such an enormous one. 

i personally would never buy a 181 with cream to off white pages, and so far, of the three i've bought, they've all been white pages. there's clearly a premium for them, and plenty of collectors like myself that buy nothing else.

8 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

lmao! i didnt know said person was not posting as i blocked them long ago. 

21k may be an outlier but with whats happening with far lesser books these days, i'm guessing it's only the beginning of even higher prices. this book in most higher grades has been pretty flat for a few years so it's probably due for a bump, just not such an enormous one. 

i personally would never buy a 181 with cream to off white pages, and so far, of the three i've bought, they've all been white pages. there's clearly a premium for them, and plenty of collectors like myself that buy nothing else.

Yeah, generally speaking Bronze age books are plentiful enough to be picky about PQ. Gold and some silver...not so much but WP still desirable (and more $$). 

19 hours ago, drbanner said:

you'd think CL could do a more consistent job of scanning their books. notice how the blacks on the label for the owwp book are not black, but on the wp book they are. a simple levels adjustment on the scanner or in photoshop would show that these books are more similar than they appear here. it's not the book, it's the scan. 

35 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

:takeit:....I just picked up a C/OW last night. For my price range (barely). Just to get in with a decent presenting copy is much more important than a sealed book with higher page quality. Not that I wouldn't  mind. Had to move quick and I did just to get it. 

Bought this in 1990 from a shop in Virginia Beach, think I paid 100 bucks or so. It was stored in a bag and board til I submitted to PGX in 2012 (yeah I didn't do much homework meh). I just cracked it out this week and subbed to CGC (needed to do a page check for MVS and overall page quality). Will see what it comes back as. Darned if I can find the PGX declared color touch. :wishluck:

20210223_080532.jpg

1 hour ago, EasyCo. said:

Darned if I can find the PGX declared color touch. :wishluck:

WTTB and be sure to report back to let us know if CGC catches the color touch (if any at all??) and what their grade on the book is?  hm  :taptaptap: