• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE HULK #181 CLUB
24 24

1,668 posts in this topic

On 7/31/2017 at 7:21 PM, Califelix said:

Just back from CGC after a press and reslab. #181 presents much better than the grade due to a small whole on the back cover. Still love my set regardless!

20170731_145646.jpg

20170731_145441.jpg

Love the set - especially the matching 7.5's across the three - really cool IMO!

12 minutes ago, Ryanfromottawa said:

Just picked this up from my man Harley!

IMG_0825.PNG

Wow!  Sweet book, sir! 

I haven't seen Harley since the last year of Wondercon at the Moscone Center.  Wish he had a real website. 

14 minutes ago, scooter99 said:

Wow!  Sweet book, sir! 

I haven't seen Harley since the last year of Wondercon at the Moscone Center.  Wish he had a real website. 

Thanks. He s at fan expo this weekend in Toronto. And it would be amazing if he had a website. However , no matter what I ask for , he always finds it for me

17 hours ago, jhkunc said:

Happy to join this club, I know it's no 9.8 but I'm grateful to have found this while visiting my folks! Onwards to my next grails.... ?

IMG_8190.JPG

Hard to say without seeing the back, but that easy looks 8.5 or higher.

Love seeing all these well preserved copies in here.  I'm saving up for an expensive car so I opted for a raw ratty copy from ebay from the original owner that had the MVS cut out and restored back into it, so I'm not expecting much once I get it graded but aside from the price being covered with black marker it looks in decent enough shape to display on the wall. 

Last night I was actually at my parents house and found a stash of Wizard magazines.  Grabbed an issue that was January 1993 and looked up Hulk 181.  $270 back then, in I assume mint or NM condition is what Wizard listed prices for?  If only I had bought back then!

52 minutes ago, davebo357 said:

Love seeing all these well preserved copies in here.  I'm saving up for an expensive car so I opted for a raw ratty copy from ebay from the original owner that had the MVS cut out and restored back into it, so I'm not expecting much once I get it graded but aside from the price being covered with black marker it looks in decent enough shape to display on the wall. 

Last night I was actually at my parents house and found a stash of Wizard magazines.  Grabbed an issue that was January 1993 and looked up Hulk 181.  $270 back then, in I assume mint or NM condition is what Wizard listed prices for?  If only I had bought back then!

Prices still seem to be pretty steady, but IH 181 is still sold at the prices it is "at" often enough that prices might continue to rise. I was looking for a 7.5, and I saw several come and go while I was getting the funds together. :) I wanted an 8.0 but prices grew, and although they didn't sell at the "new" prices, I didn't have the patience to wait lol I'm still happy.

Here is what I got this past weekend ;) 

Incredible Hulk CGC 7.5 OW-W pages pic 2.jpg

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Prices still seem to be pretty steady, but IH 181 is still sold at the prices it is "at" often enough that prices might continue to rise. I was looking for a 7.5, and I saw several come and go while I was getting the funds together. :) I wanted an 8.0 but prices grew, and although they didn't sell at the "new" prices, I didn't have the patience to wait lol I'm still happy.

Here is what I got this past weekend ;)

Looks great!  As a newbie to comic grading I have a question.  When you buy a CGC comic from someone do they relay to you the "notes" they originally receive after the grading process or are you just left with what's on the label?  Is having the white line on the edge from the rear what they call "centering"?

2 hours ago, davebo357 said:

Looks great!  As a newbie to comic grading I have a question.  When you buy a CGC comic from someone do they relay to you the "notes" they originally receive after the grading process or are you just left with what's on the label?  Is having the white line on the edge from the rear what they call "centering"?

Grader notes are only free when you submit your own Comics to your own account at cgc. You can always buy them through cgc or ask the seller to give them to you if he or she already has them. Go to cgc and type in the barcode number on your graded comic to verify and it will offer you graders notes if they are available... As far as centering... That's how well the cover is wrapped... Like part of the front cover goes around to the back cover Etc or it is cattywampus or crooked at the spine and part of the front is on the back and vice versa Etc ...that's centering

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Hi all --

You can normally find me in the Silver Age section, but I just picked this up and wanted to show it off -- it's a book I've been waiting to buy for years.  I've really enjoyed seeing everyone's copy thus far in this thread, so thanks for sharing.  I'm really excited to get this copy; less enthusiastic about having to pay for it. :busy:

Dan

Hulk 181.jpg

2 minutes ago, Drummy said:

Hi all --

You can normally find me in the Silver Age section, but I just picked this up and wanted to show it off -- it's a book I've been waiting to buy for years.  I've really enjoyed seeing everyone's copy thus far in this thread, so thanks for sharing.  I'm really excited to get this copy; less enthusiastic about having to pay for it. :busy:

Dan

Hulk 181.jpg

Great centering and page quality!!

5 minutes ago, Drummy said:

Hi all --

Dan

Hulk 181.jpg

Fantastic copy. That 7.5 above is boner worthy as well.   :applause:

-J.

1 hour ago, Drummy said:

Hi all --

Dan

Hulk 181.jpg

Spectacular copy!  I'm glad you're paying for it and I'm just admiring it.  (worship)

Well, I got the 181 I won on ebay today.  The pages are a little more brown on the bottom than I had hoped from the mediocre photos in the auction, so I'm not expecting much once I get it graded.  I figure I'll get my money's worth out of it though, as the cover is in decent enough shape to display.  I swear though if this thing comes back with a really bad grade due to the brown pages and original stamp "restoration", it's gonna cause some real grade envy and I might have to flip it for a 7.5 some day.  Here's some photos for reference.  A question for you experts: should I not get this "pressed" due to the tape used on the stamp?

LCp0M6Il.jpgft8rK3gl.jpg

3xUjBUtl.jpg