• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE HULK #181 CLUB
24 24

1,668 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, TheBrownWolverine said:

When guys like @Callaway29  don't get sarcasm. 

When guys like @TheBrownWolverine join a board and immediately start taking jabs at people.

Sarcasm is easily lost via text. Assumed a genuine post that included a typo because, well, it IS a very nice upgrade from a press/resubmit.

Edited by Callaway29

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:16 PM, lou_fine said:

Probably Yes, as the CGC 9.6 graded copy went for over $13K in the last Heritage Auction:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/the-incredible-hulk-181-marvel-1974-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7187-92391.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Of course, that copy had the much dreaded White Pages, which Jaydog would say should have really knocked the price down.  lol 

Of course I have never said that.

I say that it doesn't make a difference in any consistent or quantifiable way.

And of course, it doesn't:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Incredible-Hulk-181-CGC-9-6-WHITE-1st-Wolverine-Nov-1974-Marvel/263718226054?epid=85340044&hash=item3d66d4c886:g:mZMAAOSwkKBbCx4H

And yes, 9.6's definitely seem to be caught in a no-man's land of pricing.  $1,000 price difference between a 9.4 and a 9.6 and a $15,000 price difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8? 

That's just wonky.

-J.

3 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
On 8/2/2018 at 10:16 PM, lou_fine said:

Of course, that copy had the much dreaded White Pages, which Jaydog would say should have really knocked the price down.  lol 

JD, you are nothing but a little party pooper trying to take the fun out of everything here.  (tsk)

Doesn't my interpretation of what you said sound a lot better than having you come on here to clarify everything with your little salty grains of truth. lol

How dull and boring.........after all, this is a long weekend and we should all be here to have some fun.  :whee:

11 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

JD, you are nothing but a little party pooper trying to take the fun out of everything here.  (tsk)

Doesn't my interpretation of what you said sound a lot better than having you come on here to clarify everything with your little salty grains of truth. lol

How dull and boring.........after all, this is a long weekend and we should all be here to have some fun.  :whee:

:shy: 

-J.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

And yes, 9.6's definitely seem to be caught in a no-man's land of pricing.  $1,000 price difference between a 9.4 and a 9.6 and a $15,000 price difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8? 

That's just wonky.

I would say much less than 15K diff between 2

Sale just 2 days ago ...

http://comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch_adv.asp%3Fall%3Dy%26TITLE%3D%26TITLEOPT%3DALL%26ISSUE%3D%26Condition%3D%26ConditionTo%3D%26CensusRank%3D%26Pedigree%3D%26PRICEF%3D500%26PRICET%3D%26DESCRIPTION%3D%26DESCRIPTIONOPT%3DALL%26SearchRemarks%3D%26SearchCGC%3D%26EXCLUDE%3D%26CATEGORIES%3D-1%26WCATEGORIES%3D-1%26SORT%3DNEW%26_where_forsale%3Dy%26_where_auctions%3Dy%26x%3D17%26y%3D10%26where_forsale%3Dy&id=1270280

wwcomics also sold one for 20K several weeks ago.

http://www.wwcomics.com/comicdetail.asp?Product_ID=IncredibleHulk_181_63665

Edited by Gotham Kid

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:
On 8/3/2018 at 1:16 AM, lou_fine said:

Probably Yes, as the CGC 9.6 graded copy went for over $13K in the last Heritage Auction:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/the-incredible-hulk-181-marvel-1974-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7187-92391.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

And of course, it doesn't:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Incredible-Hulk-181-CGC-9-6-WHITE-1st-Wolverine-Nov-1974-Marvel/263718226054?epid=85340044&hash=item3d66d4c886:g:mZMAAOSwkKBbCx4H

You're literally the only one that says that.

All other things being equal, you are incorrect.

I can't see the link to the eBay sale you provided as eBay obscures it now but the Heritage example looks like an exceptional copy, which would net a strong price regardless of the page quality.

But if all things were equal (which they are not in this case) nicer page quality fetches a stronger price.

This hobby is built on paying more for better. Period.

14 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

The WWComics copy was the 100th 9.8 on the census. In just over a couple months 11 new copies were added.

Actually according to CGCdata the 100th (blue label) copy was graded about a year ago and only 11 additional 9.8's have been graded since then.  

-J.

46 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

You're literally the only one that says that.

All other things being equal, you are incorrect.

I can't see the link to the eBay sale you provided as eBay obscures it now but the Heritage example looks like an exceptional copy, which would net a strong price regardless of the page quality.

But if all things were equal (which they are not in this case) nicer page quality fetches a stronger price.

This hobby is built on paying more for better. Period.

"Better" is in the eye of the beholder, and "all things" are rarely ever "equal".(thumbsu

-J.

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

"Better" is in the eye of the beholder, and "all things" are rarely ever "equal".(thumbsu

Thanks for agreeing for once. lol

7 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Actually according to CGCdata the 100th (blue label) copy was graded about a year ago and only 11 additional 9.8's have been graded since then.  

-J.

If you check the wwcomics description it is mentioned there. I saw it and went to confirm myself. At the time of that sale there were 100 Universal 9.8 copies. I checked today and the total is at 111.

I took note of their description because it also mentions "highest graded" which we all know is incorrect.

http://www.wwcomics.com/comicdetail.asp?Product_ID=IncredibleHulk_181_63665

Edited by Gotham Kid

4 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

That's just wonky.

For some perspective, at the start of this year 9.6 were averaging roughly and I do mean roughly ~7,600 they're now averaging ~12k.

9.4 most recent GPA results are in the mid to high 7 thousand range. There's a good deal more than 1k difference between 96 & 94

9.8 at start of year was ~20,500 rough average it's now ~24k. There's always been a weirdly large distance between 98 & 96

9.8 probably been the slowest increase of all but just by a bit

Edited by MGsimba77

3 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Check the stats directly here.  It extracts directly from the CGC census:

http://cgcdata.com/cgc/search/comicid/16

-J.

Jay,

I saw the book listed and I also saw it sell ( about a week or so later). I checked the census the day it was listed ( because of the description) and there were 100 copies . Of that I have no doubt. I checked today and there were 111 copies. That's all I know.

Edited by Gotham Kid