• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE HULK #181 CLUB
24 24

1,668 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Hulksdaddy1 said:

Pretty low result for the 9.8 that ended on ComicConnect. In fact, quite a few lower results than the Comiclink auction.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/909917

Yeah that's not the best looking copy ever but CC hasn't been doing too hot with auctions. I don't know why they have a buyers premium for some lots and not others? They should never have changed their website. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INCREDIBLE-HULK-181-NM-1ST-FULL-APPEARANCE-OF-THE-WOLVERINE-HIGH-GRADE/303908633982

I have a question about this current listing on eBay. I am just curious. I am not mining for information in order to snipe the book. It is way out of my price range. This looks like a very nice copy so there is a lot of interest. With 5 days left the bidding is already at $4000 so it may very well end up close to $10,000? I can see the potential in acquiring this book and making a lot of profit if it grades high but I am curious as to its value it gets a grade above 9.0 but a Purple Label. The description states there is some retouching of the color on the spine. How badly would a Purple label be for its value?

On 3/5/2021 at 11:19 AM, Poekaymon said:
On 3/5/2021 at 9:33 AM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

Pretty low result for the 9.8 that ended on ComicConnect. In fact, quite a few lower results than the Comiclink auction.

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/909917

Not a great looking 9.8. What's with all that rubbing.  And a bad wrap.  And off white.  So not a bad result, imo. 

Yeah, if that scuffing running down the left hand side is actually on the book and not on the holder, then it most certainly should not be sitting in a CGC 9.8 slab.  hm

If it's on the holder, that's the fault of the consignor for not getting it reholdered and also CC if they did not bother to inform the consignor.  doh!

7 hours ago, Greatwhite said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/INCREDIBLE-HULK-181-NM-1ST-FULL-APPEARANCE-OF-THE-WOLVERINE-HIGH-GRADE/303908633982

I have a question about this current listing on eBay. I am just curious. I am not mining for information in order to snipe the book. It is way out of my price range. This looks like a very nice copy so there is a lot of interest. With 5 days left the bidding is already at $4000 so it may very well end up close to $10,000? I can see the potential in acquiring this book and making a lot of profit if it grades high but I am curious as to its value it gets a grade above 9.0 but a Purple Label. The description states there is some retouching of the color on the spine. How badly would a Purple label be for its value?

beatlebluecat. Hard pass.

7 hours ago, Greatwhite said:

They should have left it alone. Better off just getting a lower grade blue label for that money. 

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

I've given up on finding a 181 yellow with just a Wein and Trimpe signature. Never seen one. 

I had a 182, but even I added Roy Thomas to it lol and Roy did a wolvie sketch as well, just couldn't resist!

On 3/6/2021 at 9:21 PM, Greatwhite said:

That seller is a notorious con artist. 

He's been exposed on these boards many times. Notice all his books are raw? He buys midgrade slabbed books that present well, cracks them, and lists them as "High grade NM" 

He also buys books he knows are restored (purple label), cracks them and in very small writing says "there may be some color touch". 

In short, I'm sure that's a restored 6.5 and people who don't check the small print are going to pay $10k for a NM Hulk 181.  

Stay away! 

On 3/6/2021 at 8:21 PM, Greatwhite said:

Sold for $8300...

On 3/4/2021 at 8:39 PM, lou_fine said:

WTTB and be sure to report back to let us know if CGC catches the color touch (if any at all??) and what their grade on the book is?  hm  :taptaptap:

Fresh back from grading today. I should have asked them about restoration possibility since the color touch is B1, but my guess was they could have removed it but it probably would drop in grade if they did, soooo I didn't ask.

Going to list for sale shortly.

20210316_180641.jpg