• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What? It's top ten time again?

8 posts in this topic

Blame Fleas - he started it.

I needed to jump quickly or I would have missed the bandwagon. Ten slabbed books that would survive if I had to get rid of nearly everything....I don't know - all of them *SPOON* it!

So - instead - how about ten books I would like to focus on in 2015. Ten books that I would like to add to my CGC sets in the coming year, if I am so lucky as to secure them in the desired grade.

#10 - Because everything doesn't have to be about me - Nyoka the Jungle Girl #15 (Charlton). Because I try really hard to find something each year for my buddy's shark cover collection, and someone turned me on to this excellent shark cover earlier this week. Since it is for my buddy - I think a well presented 7.0 or better with OW or better pages would be the thing.

#9 - For the Go-Go Check collection - Wonder Woman (series 1) #167. For some reason, I love this cover. The colors, the tension in the bodies - it is one of the better WW covers from the era.

#8 - For the Strange Adventures collection - Strange Adventures #50. I have some serious love for this cover, something about it really says "1950s Science Fiction" to me - and I will be keeping my eye out for this one.

#7 - For the Strange Adventures collection - Strange Adventures #21. Wow - so SA has a lot of covers featuring fishing, and a couple of covers featuring either 'fish-men' or 'frog-men' - but this could very well be the best of both worlds - what a great fish-man fishing cover - excellent color, excellent draftsmanship. Just a real pleasure to look at. Honestly, I'll probably buy a POD and hang this one in my study.

#6 - Go-Go Checks strike again - this time with Secret Hearts #115. The bloody romance books are the hardest to find in high grade - and I haven't secured any issues from the Secret Hearts run yet. This issue, if it becomes available and while I am at con, will be one of my priorities.

#5 - Strange Adventures again - this time it's issue #51. For those familiar with the run - this is a great cover with some of that amazing DC pink, and a beautiful blue hue as the background and an excellent theme - 'gas' pump, air helmets, and period clothes, oh that white dress. Again with the excellent 50s Science Fiction images.

#4 - Red heads - they mean trouble - and for the Go-Go Check collection, this means Young Romance #148, the last go-go check in the run, from the last book in the set (alphabetically). But it features a love triangle, a bad girl/good girl redhead, all on a beautiful white cover. This is going to be hard to find - but if it comes up, it'll certainly be a priority.

#3 - Fish-men - my other favorite fish-men cover, Strange Adventures #105 - maybe not the best cover ever drafted, but this one holds a special place in my heart. I think this is the first 1950s science fiction back-issue I ever purchased, and I still have it. I could have it slabbed - but I think 2.0 is probably just a little bit below what I want for my set.

#2 - Continuing with Strange Adventures - I give you an issue many people want #79 - Invaders from Ice World. I like this cover so much, that when a local artist asked me what comic cover I would like him to do a B&W copy of, this is the image I chose, and it still is hanging in my art studio. But I'd love to have a copy of the comic and I'm going to continue to try to buy one every time it comes up...

And finally...

#1 - The book I would most like to add to my collection in 2015 - for the Go-Go check collection: the Adventures of Bob Hope #102. The cover may be a little cluttered with words - but the go-go robot in the background is absolutely amazing. I don't have any Bob Hope issued in the Go-Go Check set yet - but I would love to add this one over the others as a priority.

So much fun

But it really is like hunting - I may go out looking for elk and come back with nothing, or I might just get a smaller elk than I was hoping for - but the joy is in the hunting, even if you never get to the eating.

Happy Hunting

and

Happy 2015

Lee K

P.S. - Image below is not my book - just an image from one I failed to win at auction before. But you can see the pretty...

16252.jpg

See more journals by Lee K

nice journal, cool idea to focus on the next year.

I hope you meet your goals.

Look at the can of worms I opened! :baiting:

Hahaaaaa! I love your list, Lee K! I have found myself thinking of you every time I see a GoGo check book. That set of yours is already amazing, but you keep at it and one day it will be absolutely monumental!!

I also love those old 50s style covers on comics, although I don't actually own any. I wish you the best of luck in achieving your goals for 2015, and if I come across any of these books you've listed here in the kind of grades I know you would prefer, I will let you know.

(thumbs u

I echo bagofleas comments. So does this list mean you would let all the books in your current collection go? If so I got first dibs, lol. I do see some romance and strange adventures in my LCS sometimes but I never know which you need and in what condition. Maybe shoot me your cell number and I can text you next time i see one.

Dude...ECCC is just a few months away!!!

Great list Lee!

You're right about that Wonder Woman #167 cover from Andru and Esposito, great colors and action, talk about a cat fight!

Young Romance #148 is a great cover too, she's getting called out and the tears starting!

Strange Adventures #79 is awesome, snowmen will never be the same for me...

Good luck in 2015, I hope you find some of these and more.

Happy New Year!

Y'know Surfer - if you'd just have a facebook presence like everyone else it'd be easier.

I sent you a PM with my cell #

Lee

Every extra set of eyes helps - I appreciate it.

Great list! You're lucky you have your 2015 goals set.

I'm not sure what I want to do as of yet... but I feel I need to be ambitious like the rest of 'em.

Can you share a pic of the B&W illustration that is a replica of SA 79?

Happy New Year!

SW3D