• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comprehensive List of DC Universe Logo UPC Variants
18 18

2,151 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Very easy. They were already printing newsstand versions as well. Simple plate swap.

But my point was that books that aren't identical (in terms of ads and "collector's pack first printings") were printed after the fact, sometimes a couple of years after the fact (as with MOS #18 5th), and that explains the few anomalies. Not that it matters...I don't think anyone cares...just pointing out that the anomalies coincide with books that were sellouts, in general, when they were first published.

Makes sense, I think we are all in agreement on this. Not sure how far back you read, but this is really all about variations within the DCU variants themselves. Now that some research has been done they seem to be the exception, and yes, were done after the fact. Especially the Doomsday issues and books like GL #36.

Edited by mysterio

11 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Makes sense, I think we are all in agreement on this. Not sure how far back you read, but this is really all about variations within the DCU variants themselves. Now that some research has been done they seem to be the exception, and yes, were done after the fact. Especially the Doomsday issues and books like GL #36.

Yes, that's what I'm referring to as well, while noting some broader overlaps in the books in general. 

As far as the Flash #96 goes...it's a 1994 book, so it was produced during the DCU era. And, while #94 was second printed right away, #96 was not. It was just a plain old sellout. I imagine that, when it came time to do a Terminal Velocity collector's pack, they didn't have any #96s on hand, but had all the others, so they "second printed" #96. Then, some time later, they did it again, which is why the different ads.

Again, if I'm addressing things that have already been addressed, I'm simply trying to think through the process of how and when each of these was made.

18 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Also...any DCU that is not identical to the regular version was almost certainly a reprint, after the fact, because DC (or whomever assembled their collector's packs for them) had run out of a particular issue.

I am certain that MOS #30 is in that category, because Lobo was fairly popular at the time, it was an interesting gimmick, and sold better than surrounding issues. 

I do not know, but thinking about it, it makes sense that, in that era of overprinting everything, they would have extra copies to make collector's packs of just about everything, and would go back to press on the copies they didn't have on hand, creating more DCU versions. I suspect that's the case with Flash #96 (and keep in mind that Flash was hot around this time, and several issues sold out at the distribution level) and any others that might be out there.

Rock -- Thanks for the input... your analysis makes a lot of sense to me.  I agree that any DCU with cover date before Jan 1994 had to be a later printing.   I wonder if anyone has recollection or some sort of date stamp on when those 20-pack bricks and boxed sets arrived in the stores?   Here's what I know:

1.  20-pack bricks have copyright dates of 1993 and 1994 on the packaging (1993 for packs that contained DCUs with 1993 cover dates, and 1994 for packs that contained DCUs with 1994 cover dates)

2.  2-packs have copyright dates of 1993, 1994 and 1995 on the packaging (and the year of packaging seems to usually match the year of the cover date on the DCUs in the 2-packs.

3.  I saw boxed sets with dates as late as 1996 and 1997 with DCUs inside them.   That makes me think those DCUs were definitely made well after the original printing dates.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

Well, I’m still digging thru boxes but let me throw this in. 

My Sovereign Seven DCU states ‘First Printing’

The Man of Tomorrow from the same pack doesn’t

Superman/Toyman says ‘second printing’

Showcase ‘94 issue 5 says ‘second printing’. None of the other isdues in that run say anything

And Marvel vs DC states ‘First Printing’ on every book I have, whether it is a DCU, Direct Sales or Newsstand version. BUT I have one copy of isdue 3 that is a newsstand version that states ‘second printing’. 

I still have more books to examine but there’s some more confusion for the conversation. 

10 hours ago, ZillaCat said:

Well, I’m still digging thru boxes but let me throw this in. 

My Sovereign Seven DCU states ‘First Printing’

The Man of Tomorrow from the same pack doesn’t

Superman/Toyman says ‘second printing’

Showcase ‘94 issue 5 says ‘second printing’. None of the other isdues in that run say anything

And Marvel vs DC states ‘First Printing’ on every book I have, whether it is a DCU, Direct Sales or Newsstand version. BUT I have one copy of isdue 3 that is a newsstand version that states ‘second printing’. 

I still have more books to examine but there’s some more confusion for the conversation. 

Thanks for the info, Zillacat!

On 6/29/2017 at 1:05 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

And for everyone out there who's looking, I will gladly pay $200 if someone would find and sell to me a copy of a DC Universe variant of Adventures of Superman 521.     Crazy... I know.... but that's how hard these things are to find, in my opinion.

Looks like someone beat you to it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Comics-ADVENTURES-OF-SUPERMAN-Mar-1995-521-HTF-Rare-DCU-VARIANT-Ships-FREE/292460073439?hash=item4417fa91df:g:fpEAAOSwDZlaj3Zf

Unlessss....

Nah... Cant be...

On 4/19/2018 at 6:30 PM, Aweandlorder said:

LOL... it was me who bought it.   I would have gladly paid $200 for it, but seller came down to $100 when I pointed out the flaws and informed him that it would be very unlikely that anyone would be nutty enough to pay $100 for a Adv of SM 521 DCU in that condition except for me.   Seller told me that he just wanted to start at $400 to see if anyone would bite at that price.   Seller was a great guy by the way, and I really appreciate him for selling it to me.

4 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

What in the hell is that black cover? Is it just a bad angle of a flash 100 holo cover or something I missed out on hm 

It’s the Detective deluxe cover. 682, I think?