• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comprehensive List of DC Universe Logo UPC Variants
18 18

2,151 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, mysterio said:

It’s the Detective deluxe cover. 682, I think?

It is Batman 515 deluxe.    

That one always reminds me of the "Back in Black" album cover from AC/DC.  

Edited by Cpt Kirk

5 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

So both 682 & 515 deluxe are plain black with the cover embossed? hm

thank you for that information 

yes!    Plus went you put the deluxe Robin 14, TEC 682 and Batman 515 side-by-side, they give the appearance of "fading to black'

10 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

So both 682 & 515 deluxe are plain black with the cover embossed? hm

thank you for that information 

The Detective is fading that way. My memory was just a book off. 

2 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

yes!    Plus went you put the deluxe Robin 14, TEC 682 and Batman 515 side-by-side, they give the appearance of "fading to black'

It's in reverse. Batman #515 is the black cover and the first part of the storyline, while each successive cover of the storyline got lighter and lighter, until the big "reveal" of Batman being back at the end.

It was NOT executed very well.

You cannot tell, for instance, which part is next...Shadow of the Bat #35? Detective #682? Robin #14? Who knows?

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It's in reverse. Batman #515 is the black cover and the first part of the storyline, while each successive cover of the storyline got lighter and lighter, until the big "reveal" of Batman being back at the end.

It was NOT executed very well.

You cannot tell, for instance, which part is next...Shadow of the Bat #35? Detective #682? Robin #14? Who knows?

Aha... I forgot all about that.... thanks for chiming in!

3 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Id like to have that issue just because its really unique like an ASM 36 newsstand.

??? How so? Every enhanced Batman 515 has a white UPC box marring the black cover. The Direct ASM (v.2) 36 didn't have a UPC box on the cover.

19 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
23 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Id like to have that issue just because its really unique like an ASM 36 newsstand.

??? How so? Every enhanced Batman 515 has a white UPC box marring the black cover. The Direct ASM (v.2) 36 didn't have a UPC box on the cover

Probably not best choice example,  but it looks different from the UPC or Newsstand and stands out to me .

I've finished a complete review of my DCU collection.  I have about 2/3 of the known DCUs in my collection so I've covered a lot of ground but there are probably some more variations yet to be found.

A few notes -

• Every Contagion issue that I have is a "Second Printing".  They are listed below in plain-text, not bold.
  • Four issues were found that specifically indicate "First Printing" in the indicia.  I'd be curious to know whether the non-DCU version of these issues has a similar notation
  • I've taken pics of all of the indicia below, plus some of the ads inside the front cover and on the back cover.  I haven't noticed any differences in the ads between the collector's pack and the unmarked variations so the only difference detected is in indicia.  I could post some of the pics if that's of interest.
  • Every DCU that I have that is marked as a reprint with roman numerals on the front cover has the corresponding "X Printing" notation in the indicia, so I've not documented those issues.
  • I've tried to record the exact notations in quotes below.  Note that sometimes "Collector's Pack" is used, sometimes it is "Collector Pack"

• Azrael #15 - "Second Printing"
  • Azrael #16 - "Second Printing"
  • Batman #529 - "Second Printing"
  • Batman Chronicles #4 - "Second Printing"
  • Batman Legends of the Dark Knight #63 - "Collector's Pack First Printing"
  • Batman Legends of the Dark Knight #63 - unmarked, presumably 1st print
  • Batman Shadow of the Bat #48 - "Second Printing"
  • Batman Shadow of the Bat #49 - "Second Printing"
  • Catwoman #31 - "Second Printing"
  • Catwoman #32 - "Second Printing"
  • Detective #674 - "Collector's Pack First Printing"
  • Detective #674 - unmarked, presumably 1st print
  • Detective #695 - "Second Printing"
  • Detective #696 - "Second Printing"
  • Flash #91 - "Collector Pack First Printing"
  • Flash #96 - "Second Printing"
  • Green Lantern #36 - "Collector's Pack First Printing"
  • Green Lantern #47 - "Collector's Pack First Printing"
  • Robin #27 - "Second Printing"
  • Robin #28 - "Second Printing"
  • Showcase '94 #5 - "Second Printing"
  • Sovereign Seven #1 - "First Printing"
  • Steel #4 - "Second Printing"
  • Superman/Doomsday #1 - "First Printing"
  • Superman/Doomsday #2 - "First Printing"
  • Superman/Doomsday #3 - "First Printing"
  • Superman Man of Steel #30 - "Collector Pack First Printing"
  • Superman Man of Steel #30 - unmarked, presumably 1st print
  • Superman Man of Steel Annual #3 - "Second Printing"
  • Superman Man of Steel Annual #3 - unmarked, presumably 1st print
  • Superman/Toyman #1 - "Second Printing"

So in reviewing all other reported findings, I think the only one that's been reported that is not included in my list above is the Flash #96 unmarked version.... right?  Also after pondering this report, I am thinking you'd probably expect that unmarked versions of Flash #91 and Green Lantern #47 could well exist.  Maybe even GL #36, but as it's such an early issue I feel it's much more of a longshot.

1 minute ago, Warlord said:

So in reviewing all other reported findings, I think the only one that's been reported that is not included in my list above is the Flash #96 unmarked version.... right?  Also after pondering this report, I am thinking you'd probably expect that unmarked versions of Flash #91 and Green Lantern #47 could well exist.  Maybe even GL #36, but as it's such an early issue I feel it's much more of a longshot.

Thanks for doing all that research!

With GL #36 clearly being a reprint for a collector pack I’d be skeptical that there are alternative versions, but maybe some of the others may have them. 

1 hour ago, mysterio said:

Thanks for doing all that research!

With GL #36 clearly being a reprint for a collector pack I’d be skeptical that there are alternative versions, but maybe some of the others may have them. 

It was quite a marathon to check all of them, including all the duplicates.  Glad to be done.  Whew!!! :gossip:    After this I'll be sure to keep checking all new additions as they are obtained!

5 hours ago, Warlord said:

Warlord -- Nice work!   (worship)

In the name of research, I had to open the "The Batman Collection" pack that I showed on page 41 of this thread.   The Detective 674 DCU with "Collector's Pack First Printing" came from that pack.  You would then think the Batman LODK 63 DCU from that same pack would also say "Collector's Pack First Printing" but instead it was blank in the indicia... go figure.  :ohnoez:   doh!

I presume the unmarked version of TEC 674 DCU came from the 20-pack brick with issues dated May 1994.

Edited by Cpt Kirk