• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comprehensive List of DC Universe Logo UPC Variants
18 18

2,162 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, mysterio said:

It's always nice to find a book in the wild that has eluded you thus far. Not super high grade, but a solid enough copy of what appears to be a pretty difficult book.

JLTF32.jpg

(thumbsu

On 4/24/2018 at 5:31 PM, mysterio said:

Thanks for doing all that research!

With GL #36 clearly being a reprint for a collector pack I’d be skeptical that there are alternative versions, but maybe some of the others may have them. 

I am, too. I think GL #36 is a special case, as is MOS #19 third, Advent of Supes #499 third, etc. That is, books that were published long before the collector's pack program kicked into high gear, and GL #36 was chosen to "fill out the pack." Interesting that they didn't pick #46 instead.

Finally for tonight...

As I think many of us have discussed before, I am certain that DC kept, during these years, these books warehoused to fill collectors packs as needed, since CPs were all the rage in the mid 90s. I suspect that DC may have "gone back to the well" numerous times, for numerous random issues, which is why there are oddballs...and they didn't keep a strict accounting of any of it. 

I think that's why you see some strange book like MOS Annual #3 as both an unmarked (first printing) AND a second print, both DCUs.

We KNOW that's exactly what happened with GL #36: there was a first printing that was published in Dec, 1992, with a Feb 1993 cover date, but, since they weren't doing specially marked CPs at that time, there is no corresponding "first printing DCU." But, in 1994, DC decided to do a GL collectors pack, so they reprinted #36, and now you have a reprint made specifically for collectors packs.

...and there was nothing preventing them from doing that again...and again...and again...so it would not surprise me at all to see 2 OR EVEN MORE "printings" of DCU (or bullet or zero hour) books made, to go with the original Direct/newsstand firsts.

If this is redundant information, please skip over...I find the process to be the most fascinating part of the puzzle.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

21 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Finally for tonight...

As I think many of us have discussed before, I am certain that DC kept, during these years, these books warehoused to fill collectors packs as needed, since CPs were all the rage in the mid 90s. I suspect that DC may have "gone back to the well" numerous times, for numerous random issues, which is why there are oddballs...and they didn't keep a strict accounting of any of it. 

I think that's why you see some strange book like MOS Annual #3 as both an unmarked (first printing) AND a second print, both DCUs.

We KNOW that's exactly what happened with GL #36: there was a first printing that was published in Dec, 1992, with a Feb 1993 cover date, but, since they weren't doing specially marked CPs at that time, there is no corresponding "first printing DCU." But, in 1994, DC decided to do a GL collectors pack, so they reprinted #36, and now you have a reprint made specifically for collectors packs.

...and there was nothing preventing them from doing that again...and again...and again...so it would not surprise me at all to see 2 OR EVEN MORE "printings" of DCU (or bullet or zero hour) books made, to go with the original Direct/newsstand firsts.

If this is redundant information, please skip over...I find the process to be the most fascinating part of the puzzle.

As always, a very thoughtful and interesting analysis.   I really appreciate you for putting this info out there.

What I find interesting about the whole DC Universe is looking at the list of confirmed issues out there (I know there are a few that aren't though). Some titles seem to be missing one or two issues in between larger runs. I can't see a reason why DC would skip an issue or two. My guess is that these probably exist. 

Just looking at the top of the list, Animaniacs to me should have a 3 & 8, Batman should have 513 & 525, Catwoman should have 8, 10, & 14, etc. I'll be on the hunt in a few places soon and will report any new findings. I'm sure stuff is just sitting out there with dealers who are unaware or don't care about them.

9 hours ago, Philflound said:

What I find interesting about the whole DC Universe is looking at the list of confirmed issues out there (I know there are a few that aren't though). Some titles seem to be missing one or two issues in between larger runs. I can't see a reason why DC would skip an issue or two. My guess is that these probably exist. 

Just looking at the top of the list, Animaniacs to me should have a 3 & 8, Batman should have 513 & 525, Catwoman should have 8, 10, & 14, etc. I'll be on the hunt in a few places soon and will report any new findings. I'm sure stuff is just sitting out there with dealers who are unaware or don't care about them.

I agree that we will eventually see some more of these pop up.    We were looking for 10 years before an Action 706 DCU was found, and then three more of them appeared within six months, so go figure.   I would not be surprised if some issues never surface though.   Batman 525, for example, was dated December 1994 (after the last of the 20-pack bricks) and from that same month we have never seen a Superman 95, Superman Man of Steel 39, nor a Justice League 94.   On the other hand, I think Adv of Superman 523 (May 1995) DCU should exist because all the other Superman/Batman titles from that month have a DCU variant.   Same thing with Justice League 96 (Feb 1995)

On 5/19/2018 at 8:47 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

here's a two-pack;  each of these DCUs are hard to find

1323844757_TEC685694pack.thumb.jpg.503b54d1a3aa2b6b11869d523214e8d4.jpg

1512541558_TEC685694packback.thumb.jpg.9bd14649cab9653d2495167642c36f6a.jpg

Cool find!  Interesting that Tec 682 (newsstand cover) was in a 2-pack w/ Batman 516, Tec 683 was in a 2-pack w/ Batman 515 (newsstand cover), Tec 684 was in a 2-pack w/ Batman 514 and this 2-pack breaks the pattern with two Tec issues and 9 months apart yet!

Would be interested to know where that price sticker was from.  It seems like the early 2-packs came from TRU but the later 1995/1996 2-packs seem to have come from K-Mart and 7-Eleven?  Just a theory based on some 2-packs that I own.

2 hours ago, LikeEmScanned said:

Cool find!  Interesting that Tec 682 (newsstand cover) was in a 2-pack w/ Batman 516, Tec 683 was in a 2-pack w/ Batman 515 (newsstand cover), Tec 684 was in a 2-pack w/ Batman 514 and this 2-pack breaks the pattern with two Tec issues and 9 months apart yet!

Would be interested to know where that price sticker was from.  It seems like the early 2-packs came from TRU but the later 1995/1996 2-packs seem to have come from K-Mart and 7-Eleven?  Just a theory based on some 2-packs that I own.

Interesting.   The dealer who snagged it for me said the seller only had this one pack (along with bunch of loose DCUs) and that seller originally bought the packs from K-Mart.   if only we had a time machine! 

9 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

How rare is Action 704 DCU ? I found it for 2 dollars today but it was in VF condition so I put it back... Should I go back?

I need a copy of it if you don’t need it. :foryou:

1 hour ago, Brock said:

And then there's this one... It seems to be pretty tough. Is this "equivalent" to a DCU from a larger pack, or is it something different? 

936993432_batmanbullet.thumb.jpg.3473bb8b0986616d0225de2af356d2c6.jpg

That’s a DC Bullet variant. It’s seen on books that sat on the outside of multipacks the month prior to the first DC Universe logos. Basically the same sort of variant as a DCU in a different format. Many of them are quite difficult. Somewhere in this thread is a full list of them.