• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comprehensive List of DC Universe Logo UPC Variants
18 18

2,151 posts in this topic

On 4/24/2018 at 8:16 PM, Warlord said:

I've finished a complete review of my DCU collection.  I have about 2/3 of the known DCUs in my collection so I've covered a lot of ground but there are probably some more variations yet to be found.

A few notes -

• Every Contagion issue that I have is a "Second Printing".  They are listed below in plain-text, not bold.
  • Four issues were found that specifically indicate "First Printing" in the indicia.  I'd be curious to know whether the non-DCU version of these issues has a similar notation
  • I've taken pics of all of the indicia below, plus some of the ads inside the front cover and on the back cover.  I haven't noticed any differences in the ads between the collector's pack and the unmarked variations so the only difference detected is in indicia.  I could post some of the pics if that's of interest.
  • Every DCU that I have that is marked as a reprint with roman numerals on the front cover has the corresponding "X Printing" notation in the indicia, so I've not documented those issues.
  • I've tried to record the exact notations in quotes below.  Note that sometimes "Collector's Pack" is used, sometimes it is "Collector Pack"

• Azrael #15 - "Second Printing"
  • Azrael #16 - "Second Printing"
  • Batman #529 - "Second Printing"
  • Batman Chronicles #4 - "Second Printing"
  • Batman Legends of the Dark Knight #63 - "Collector's Pack First Printing"
  • Batman Legends of the Dark Knight #63 - unmarked, presumably 1st print
  • Batman Shadow of the Bat #48 - "Second Printing"
  • Batman Shadow of the Bat #49 - "Second Printing"
  • Catwoman #31 - "Second Printing"
  • Catwoman #32 - "Second Printing"
  • Detective #674 - "Collector's Pack First Printing"
  • Detective #674 - unmarked, presumably 1st print
  • Detective #695 - "Second Printing"
  • Detective #696 - "Second Printing"
  • Flash #91 - "Collector Pack First Printing"
  • Flash #96 - "Second Printing"
  • Green Lantern #36 - "Collector's Pack First Printing"
  • Green Lantern #47 - "Collector's Pack First Printing"
  • Robin #27 - "Second Printing"
  • Robin #28 - "Second Printing"
  • Showcase '94 #5 - "Second Printing"
  • Sovereign Seven #1 - "First Printing"
  • Steel #4 - "Second Printing"
  • Superman/Doomsday #1 - "First Printing"
  • Superman/Doomsday #2 - "First Printing"
  • Superman/Doomsday #3 - "First Printing"
  • Superman Man of Steel #30 - "Collector Pack First Printing"
  • Superman Man of Steel #30 - unmarked, presumably 1st print
  • Superman Man of Steel Annual #3 - "Second Printing"
  • Superman Man of Steel Annual #3 - unmarked, presumably 1st print
  • Superman/Toyman #1 - "Second Printing"

Re:Four issues were found that specifically indicate "First Printing" in the indicia.  I'd be curious to know whether the non-DCU version of these issues has a similar notation

Sovereign Seven #1 regular version is confirmed as having "First Printing" in the indicia, same as the DCU version's indicia.  That's one down, three to go.  Anyone have the Superman/Doomsday series handy so they can check and let us know?

Regular version - first image, DCU version - second image

IMG_20180608_193650.thumb.jpg.dff5a37890e119e9450793aca22c3482.jpg2040426720_SovereignSeven1DCU.thumb.jpg.0bc2f8fd919e6757e4025791d5e48a8c.jpg

1 hour ago, Warlord said:

Anyone have the Superman/Doomsday series handy so they can check and let us know?

You don't have the real versions of those? :baiting:

Yes, they do have the notation.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

You don't have the real versions of those? :baiting:

Yes, they do have the notation.

To be fair, I did ask if anyone had them "handy".    It could take hours for me to find my non-DCU versions.   :cry:

Thanks for checking and the confirmation!!

3 hours ago, Warlord said:

Re:Four issues were found that specifically indicate "First Printing" in the indicia.  I'd be curious to know whether the non-DCU version of these issues has a similar notation

Sovereign Seven #1 regular version is confirmed as having "First Printing" in the indicia, same as the DCU version's indicia.  That's one down, three to go.  Anyone have the Superman/Doomsday series handy so they can check and let us know?

Regular version - first image, DCU version - second image

(worship)

4 hours ago, manetteska said:

How "in demand" are the Animaniacs DCUs?

The list on the first page is great, but is it possible to put a "difficulty" level for each? Or a list of the rarer ones?

I don’t think any of the Animaniacs are easy, but some are tougher than others. (I know that’s not helpful, but I’m at a show and don’t have my list in front of me.) 

14 hours ago, mysterio said:
18 hours ago, manetteska said:

The list on the first page is great, but is it possible to put a "difficulty" level for each? Or a list of the rarer ones?

I don’t think any of the Animaniacs are easy, but some are tougher than others. (I know that’s not helpful, but I’m at a show and don’t have my list in front of me.) 

also, 'in demand' and rarity are not the same thing.  Additionally, the rarity is super subjective from person to person.  People have mentioned throughout the thread which ones they THINK are rare and which are common.  To KEY in on those extra rare ones, I'd say try to focus on the cpt kirk posts if you're willing to put in the legwork and go back through the thread.

On 6/14/2018 at 5:20 PM, manetteska said:

None of the principals on this thread want to put a "rare" label on any of them because they are still looking for some themselves, I'd have to believe.

Edited by Michael Browning

3 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

None of the principals on this thread want to put a "rare" label on any of them because they are still looking for some themselves, I'd have to believe.

It works both ways.  Sometimes people searching would rather have everyone seeking so they can buy it from them, even at higher prices

2 hours ago, SammyBComics said:

My annual haul at HeroesCon, many that I didn't previously have

Nice haul.  I'm guessing that HeroesCon is one the very best shows for people who like to find back issues.  I recall going through the convention booths before dealers knew anything about variants, and there was always lots of good stuff to be found.

14 hours ago, revat said:

It works both ways.  Sometimes people searching would rather have everyone seeking so they can buy it from them, even at higher prices

Very true Revat.

I am sure the ones I am looking for are rare.  I am OK with people thinking they are rare because I would gladly pay a large finders fee to anyone who can find them (in my mind, the more people look for them, the better).   I know several collectors who have been combing shops and conventions for almost 10 years now, and have not found some of the ones on my want list (or only one or two have been found).   Rare is Adv of Superman 521 (two found), 530(none found), Superman Man of Steel 49(none found), Superman Man of Steel 50(one found), Azrael 22 (I've yet to see a photo, but I did hear someone found it), Superman 95 (none found), Superman 113 (one found), Superman 117 (one found).   I'm offering $100 or more for these.

Some of the ones listed above that have never been found might have been typos or mistakes from the legendary Jerome Wenker list (he admittedly had mistakes on his list).

Some have been thought in the past to be non-existent but then popped up in quantities later.  Action 706 (I think at least 5 have been found now) and Superman 117(one found) are good examples.   

Edited by Cpt Kirk

52 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Some of those will end up like some of rare Whitmans that will take decades to finally show up like DC Presents 22.

I agree.   Some we thought might not exist eventually showed up.    And new ones keep showing up every year.... especially when LikeEmScanned keeps looking... he has uncanny ability to find new ones.

9 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Green Lantern 49 DCU worth 5 dollars?  VF+

seems about right, I think its one of the few that's sort of minor-keyish.  somewhere between $5 and $10 seems about right.