• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comprehensive List of DC Universe Logo UPC Variants
18 18

2,151 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

543192379_ScreenShot2018-07-01at9_52_34PM.png.81a9dd54de6c4e8dd4fe01ccc341c822.png

Found these in the dollar bin.  The Dectective comics 690 has a sticker on it.   Are any of these rare?

The Action is on Kirk's list of difficult DCUs. The one on the right is no cakewalk either. Bonus points for a sticker book.

1 hour ago, mysterio said:
18 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

543192379_ScreenShot2018-07-01at9_52_34PM.png.81a9dd54de6c4e8dd4fe01ccc341c822.png

Found these in the dollar bin.  The Dectective comics 690 has a sticker on it.   Are any of these rare?

The Action is on Kirk's list of difficult DCUs. The one on the right is no cakewalk either. Bonus points for a sticker book.

I'm still not really sure what to think of the sticker books.  Did anyone mention how they came 'originally'?  I get that they're somewhat rare, but I'm not sure if they're somewhat arbitrary or if there was some method to the madness.

1 minute ago, revat said:

I'm still not really sure what to think of the sticker books.  Did anyone mention how they came 'originally'?  I get that they're somewhat rare, but I'm not sure if they're somewhat arbitrary or if there was some method to the madness.

I think that a few copies of that Detective have been found stickered, so that may be some indication of a pattern. I seem to remember only like 3-4 books are known to exist with stickers at all, so it’s a pretty tiny sample overall. 

On 7/1/2018 at 9:58 PM, Wolverinex said:

yes, those are both hard to find.   I've seen about 3 copies of the Action 718 and the TEC 690 with sticker.   RockMyAmadeus raises a good point about the stickers being easy to fake, but I've seen several copies of the stickers now and I think the original sticker would be hard to reproduce exactly the same each time.   Makes me wonder if CGC would ever go to the extremity of trying to verify validity of stickers... I sincerely doubt it since there's only about 3 collectors out there who care to chase them down.

I have myself pulled a Superman 104 stickered DCU variant out of a sealed Superman Greatest Foes 6-pack once.  The sticker was not visible from the outside of the package, so I can't explain why they felt the need to put a sticker on that issue.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

30 minutes ago, Cpt Kirk said:

yes, those are both hard to find.   I've seen about 3 copies of the Action 718 and the TEC 690 with sticker.   RockMyAmadeus raises a good point about the stickers being easy to fake, but I've seen several copies of the stickers now and I think the original sticker would be hard to reproduce exactly the same each time.   Makes me wonder if CGC would ever go to the extremity of trying to verify validity of stickers... I sincerely doubt it since there's only about 3 collectors out there who care to chase them down.

I have myself pulled a Superman 104 stickered DCU variant out of a sealed Superman Greatest Foes 6-pack once.  The sticker was not visible from the outside of the package, so I can't explain why they felt the need to put a sticker on that issue.

Either of these worth grading?  Action 718 is in pristine condition.  TEC has a bunch of Stress marks.  I actually found a bunch more DCU variants but they were really messed up, below 5.0 grades so I ended up skipping them.  However, now that I realized a few of these are rare, I wonder if I should have picked them up anyway... I wonder if it was part of someone's collection in the past

13 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Either of these worth grading?  Action 718 is in pristine condition.  TEC has a bunch of Stress marks.  I actually found a bunch more DCU variants but they were really messed up, below 5.0 grades so I ended up skipping them.  However, now that I realized a few of these are rare, I wonder if I should have picked them up anyway... I wonder if it was part of someone's collection in the past

just my opinion:

1.   I would not grade the TEC 690.  I only know of two people who try to get these stickered copies, and both of us have those.   I would instead put it up for auction on ebay and see what happens.

2.   Same thing on the Action 718.  Even though uncommon, you never know what you will get for these when they go up for auction.  Most of the people who would drive the price up on this variant already have it.   So if there's no competition, it might not even sell for $10.   I would instead take good photos, and put it up for auction with minimum price of $20.   If no bites, hang onto it.   Eventually someone else will get the DCU variant bug and will be willing to pay at least $20 (if not more) because he won't be able to find it after a year or two of looking, especially in that condition.   

On 7/3/2018 at 11:03 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

just my opinion:

1.   I would not grade the TEC 690.  I only know of two people who try to get these stickered copies, and both of us have those.   I would instead put it up for auction on ebay and see what happens.

2.   Same thing on the Action 718.  Even though uncommon, you never know what you will get for these when they go up for auction.  Most of the people who would drive the price up on this variant already have it.   So if there's no competition, it might not even sell for $10.   I would instead take good photos, and put it up for auction with minimum price of $20.   If no bites, hang onto it.   Eventually someone else will get the DCU variant bug and will be willing to pay at least $20 (if not more) because he won't be able to find it after a year or two of looking, especially in that condition.   

Another 2c to consider, the Tec would probably get a green label or hammered gradewise for the sticker. They’d likely treat it the same as a price sticker. Not worth it. 

2 hours ago, mysterio said:

Another 2c to consider, the Tec would probably get a green label or hammered gradewise for the sticker. They’d likely treat it the same as a price sticker. Not worth it. 

Really?  for a sticker that was placed by the manufacturer?  That really stinks... has anyone ever gotten these graded? 

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Really?  for a sticker that was placed by the manufacturer?  That really stinks... has anyone ever gotten these graded? 

Playing devils advocate, how would CGC know that the manufacturer placed it? Not only that, but a sticker on the cover is a sticker on the cover. 

Just now, mysterio said:

Playing devils advocate, how would CGC know that the manufacturer placed it? Not only that, but a sticker on the cover is a sticker on the cover. 

I just guess that the likelihood of someone making counterfeit stickers would be really unlikely

3 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:
4 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I just guess that the likelihood of someone making counterfeit stickers would be really unlikely

I don't disagree, which is where the second part comes in. Anything foreign stuck to the cover would be a defect, even a manufacturer sticker. Best case would be a green label.

20 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I don't disagree, which is where the second part comes in. Anything foreign stuck to the cover would be a defect, even a manufacturer sticker. Best case would be a green label.

guys -- Interesting discussion... I've never seen a stickered comic book with CGC label.   I have some spares and might send one off to CGC just to see how they handle it.   Besides DC Universe stickers, recall there are several newsstand issues that had stickers placed on them to correct an error on the bar code (Superman 677, Action 759, Batman 568 come to mind)

51 minutes ago, Cpt Kirk said:

guys -- Interesting discussion... I've never seen a stickered comic book with CGC label.   I have some spares and might send one off to CGC just to see how they handle it.   Besides DC Universe stickers, recall there are several newsstand issues that had stickers placed on them to correct an error on the bar code (Superman 677, Action 759, Batman 568 come to mind)

I would be very interested to see what happens!

7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Stickered copies will either get a green label, or be hammered for the sticker. 

I have a Superman slab around here somewhere that has a "Celebrity Authentics" sticker....it's an 8,5, on an otherwise 9.8 copy.

thanks for the info!

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:09 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

are these DC universe logo Variants worth more then the normal issues ?  I had ignored these,  but a friend told me some are going much higher than guide

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:03 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

just my opinion:

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:03 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

36 minutes ago, jeffharris said:

are these DC universe logo Variants worth more then the normal issues ?  I had ignored these,  but a friend told me some are going much higher than guide

Some of them are, some of them aren't.  I think in general they go for more than guide, but in many cases it might literally be pennies more, if any.  And they still might sit for a LONG TIME before selling.  And it might depend on the grade.  And its very luck based with very small sample sizes for sales.  You probably won't get rich on them, but there's probably quite a few that if they were worth $1-2 for a regular edition you might be able to get $3-$6 for.  They're fun to hunt and collect as a hobby, and maybe try to sell your extras along the way, but you'd need a lot of knowledge and LOT of FREE TIME to make any kind of sustained coinage.  If you're really interested, you can read through the thread to see which are the most rare and MIGHT have some value. 

But yes, if you've got a pile at home of random DCU's, you could probably just post it on Ebay in an auction and at least have a chance to move it vs a pile of non-DCU's.  Doesn't take too much time to do that.

4 hours ago, revat said:

Some of them are, some of them aren't.  I think in general they go for more than guide, but in many cases it might literally be pennies more, if any.  And they still might sit for a LONG TIME before selling.  And it might depend on the grade.  And its very luck based with very small sample sizes for sales.  You probably won't get rich on them, but there's probably quite a few that if they were worth $1-2 for a regular edition you might be able to get $3-$6 for.  They're fun to hunt and collect as a hobby, and maybe try to sell your extras along the way, but you'd need a lot of knowledge and LOT of FREE TIME to make any kind of sustained coinage.  If you're really interested, you can read through the thread to see which are the most rare and MIGHT have some value. 

But yes, if you've got a pile at home of random DCU's, you could probably just post it on Ebay in an auction and at least have a chance to move it vs a pile of non-DCU's.  Doesn't take too much time to do that.

I agree with Revat.... he is right on the money with his assessment.    I will say that if you find the ones I'm looking for, then you just hit a small stakes lottery.   I'd gladly pay $100 for Adv of Superman 521 & 530, Superman 95, 113, 117 and Superman Man of Steel 49 and 50 DCU variants in VF or better.