• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comprehensive List of DC Universe Logo UPC Variants
18 18

2,151 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2018 at 6:45 PM, revat said:
On 8/12/2018 at 4:08 PM, bffnut said:

There is a list on CBSI listing the DCU variants by rarity.

For whatever thats worth. 

I don’t mean that as a shot, just that sample sizes are pretty small, and Hunters are very few.

This. And if none of the knowledge collected here was used (not that we are the be all end all, but the collective knowledge of DCUs in this group is pretty good) then I’d question how good this list is. 

We tend to be reluctant to tag anything as rare because we just don’t know. And these things can vary regionally. For example, Kirk has said he finds Action #718 to be difficult, while I’ve found three of them. Action #706 used to be practically unknown, but like 5 have surfaced in the last year (I’ve found a couple myself). There are other books that I consider hen’s teeth that others have found. So what do these scenarios tell us about rarity of any specific book? Your guess is as good as mine. 

The article does reference this thread (see below). I don't know who Steve Horn is, though.

It seems you people can't get enough of the DCU Logo UPC Variants so here comes an amazing guide by expert collector Steve Horn. Thanks a lot, Steve!

ADDITIONAL KEY CONTRIBUTORS: Trey Kenyon, Ben Stein (who maintains the illustrated DCU Checklist), Topher (who wrote the article that began it all), everyone who has posted their pickups on G+ and the Comprehensive List of DC Universe Logo UPC Variants thread on CGC and its key contributors (Capt Kirk and revat).

30 minutes ago, bffnut said:

The article does reference this thread (see below). I don't know who Steve Horn is, though.

It seems you people can't get enough of the DCU Logo UPC Variants so here comes an amazing guide by expert collector Steve Horn. Thanks a lot, Steve!

ADDITIONAL KEY CONTRIBUTORS: Trey Kenyon, Ben Stein (who maintains the illustrated DCU Checklist), Topher (who wrote the article that began it all), everyone who has posted their pickups on G+ and the Comprehensive List of DC Universe Logo UPC Variants thread on CGC and its key contributors (Capt Kirk and revat).

Interesting. It would appear that I spoke prematurely, at least to a degree. 

7 hours ago, mysterio said:

This. And if none of the knowledge collected here was used (not that we are the be all end all, but the collective knowledge of DCUs in this group is pretty good) then I’d question how good this list is. 

We tend to be reluctant to tag anything as rare because we just don’t know. And these things can vary regionally. For example, Kirk has said he finds Action #718 to be difficult, while I’ve found three of them. Action #706 used to be practically unknown, but like 5 have surfaced in the last year (I’ve found a couple myself). There are other books that I consider hen’s teeth that others have found. So what do these scenarios tell us about rarity of any specific book? Your guess is as good as mine. 

For whatever it is worth, I find very, very few of these in the course of searching in So Cal and at conventions. The vast, vast majority of the copies I own are in the form of 20 packs, 10 packs, and collector packs. I buy these whenever I run across them, but because so very, very few shops stock back issues, especially 90s back issues, I don't run across these very often.

However...the fact that many of these are available regularly on eBay is telling as to how many actually exist, and that number is probably not even remotely close to "single digits" for ANY book. There are, in my estimation, no less than 1,000 of any given issue in existence...they're just artfully hidden for now. Collectors just didn't throw out 90s books.

On 8/15/2018 at 3:21 PM, bffnut said:

Off topic, so if you can help please reply by PM to avoid a thread derail -- has anyone got advice for how to get the comicbookinvest.com ID/password to work on https://marketplace.comicbookinvest.com?   To log into the marketplace... website it says to first register on comicbookinvest.  I've done that with a couple IDs/emails over in the last couple days.  I can get onto comicbookinvest.com, but when I try to log into the marketplace... (which says it shares usernames with the other site) I get the "wrong username/password" error.   (shrug)

Edited by Warlord

I thought collecting the DCU books would be a fun and challenging project. While I still consider it fun, it has NOT been much of a challenge. I seem to find them without really trying. I have not bought  a single issue online, just finding them locally, and I have something like 120 unique issues already. This is after about a year of collecting them. (shrug)

9 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I thought collecting the DCU books would be a fun and challenging project. While I still consider it fun, it has NOT been much of a challenge. I seem to find them without really trying. I have not bought  a single issue online, just finding them locally, and I have something like 120 unique issues already. This is after about a year of collecting them. (shrug)

Wait til you get to the tough ones. lol

9 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I was in a similar position as you after my first 9-10 months, about a shortie worth of variants. The first 150 are like the gateway drug, nice shots of discovery adrenaline that set you up for collecting these seriously, and then finds become much fewer and farther between. You’ll keep finding those Superboy #4-5 like they grow on trees, but the #3 is elusive and the #2 is :censored: :censored: tough. Once you start getting to that level you may discover a new variant you need once every 3-4 months. I’ve found one that I needed in the wild this year (JLTF #32), and the others I’ve picked up either came from dealers that seek these out and mark them up appropriately, or other collectors in this thread. 

11 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

found an action 718 yet?

3 hours ago, mysterio said:
12 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I was in a similar position as you after my first 9-10 months, about a shortie worth of variants. The first 150 are like the gateway drug, nice shots of discovery adrenaline that set you up for collecting these seriously, and then finds become much fewer and farther between. You’ll keep finding those Superboy #4-5 like they grow on trees, but the #3 is elusive and the #2 is :censored: :censored: tough. Once you start getting to that level you may discover a new variant you need once every 3-4 months. I’ve found one that I needed in the wild this year (JLTF #32), and the others I’ve picked up either came from dealers that seek these out and mark them up appropriately, or other collectors in this thread. 

it gets harder and harder to match that high.  You find enough that you KNOW they're out there, but they're not usually the ones you want after awhile.  But its just enough for you to keep looking.  I think the fun is that most of the time you CAN find them in the wild, and you don't have to buy them online too often

4 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:
6 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

found an action 718 yet?

It's funny you mentioned that one as I recently saw it but passed because of the price. Is it that valuable/rare ?

It’s definitely on the uncommon/difficult list. What was the asking price?

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:
49 minutes ago, mysterio said:

It’s definitely on the uncommon/difficult list. What was the asking price?

Because they saw a Sold sale on E-Bay for 95.00 Best Offer, they are asking 75.00 .

wowsers.  Unless its one of the last 5-10 you need after collecting ALL of the rest (and searching for a few years), that's obviously way too high.  Unless its not....

1 minute ago, revat said:

wowsers.  Unless its one of the last 5-10 you need after collecting ALL of the rest (and searching for a few years), that's obviously way too high.  Unless its not....

No, it is way too high for me. I'm used to paying single digits for these. I wonder if anyone here paid 95.00 last month on E-Bay for it, or maybe it is Fake News.

On 8/20/2018 at 8:46 AM, mysterio said:

Mysterio -- I like your "gateway drug" analogy... LOL.   Once you get most of them, you might become willing to pay big bucks for the few really hard to find ones.

I'm down to six wanted, and I would gladly pay $100 if someone found any of them in VF or better.   Of these six wanted, I know for sure that three exist but the other three have never been seen.   They are Superman 95, 113, 117, Superman Man of Steel 49 and 50, and Adv of Superman 530.

I have a nice spare Action 718 DCU, and I offered it to Bomber-Bob for $5 (I might even have two of those spare 718's)... I'm more than willing find DCUs for others in hopes that someone will help find ones I need... just like you have done many times in the past, Mysterio.

Edited by Cpt Kirk