• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comprehensive List of DC Universe Logo UPC Variants
18 18

2,151 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Mysterio -- I like your "gateway drug" analogy... LOL.   Once you get most of them, you might become willing to pay big bucks for the few really hard to find ones.

I'm down to six wanted, and I would gladly pay $100 if someone found any of them in VF or better.   Of these six wanted, I know for sure that three exist but the other three have never been seen.   They are Superman 95, 113, 117, Superman Man of Steel 49 and 50, and Adv of Superman 530.

I have a nice spare Action 718 DCU, and I offered it to Bomber-Bob for $5 (I might even have two of those spare 718's)... I'm more than willing find DCUs for others in hopes that someone will help find ones I need... just like you have done many times in the past, Mysterio.

Nice!  I just found a really pretty copy of Superboy 30 DCU today... do most people have this issue?

4 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Mysterio -- I like your "gateway drug" analogy... LOL.   Once you get most of them, you might become willing to pay big bucks for the few really hard to find ones.

I'm down to six wanted, and I would gladly pay $100 if someone found any of them in VF or better.   Of these six wanted, I know for sure that three exist but the other three have never been seen.   They are Superman 95, 113, 117, Superman Man of Steel 49 and 50, and Adv of Superman 530.

I have a nice spare Action 718 DCU, and I offered it to Bomber-Bob for $5 (I might even have two of those spare 718's)... I'm more than willing find DCUs for others in hopes that someone will help find ones I need... just like you have done many times in the past, Mysterio.

Happy to help! Once I get settled into my new place I’ll post a list of my doubles and the ones I still need. I’m always happy to trade for what I need, or buy if the price is fair. 

Maybe we could host a DCU trade weekend where everyone who’d like to participate could lay their doubles list out. May help some of us fill gaps, though I’d bet most of us are missing a lot of the same ones. lol

By the way...if anyone reading this has the opportunity, please ASK people like Paul Levitz if he knows how and why this program came about, or if he could direct you to someone who does know. People who are likely to know would be folks like Bruce Bristow, Paul Levitz, Bob Wayne, maybe Bob Rozakis. They may be able to point you in the right direction. 

They may think it's odd, but maybe not!

Heh. Bob Wayne and Bruce Bristow both work for DC... heh.

12 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

By the way...if anyone reading this has the opportunity, please ASK people like Paul Levitz if he knows how and why this program came about, or if he could direct you to someone who does know. People who are likely to know would be folks like Bruce Bristow, Paul Levitz, Bob Wayne, maybe Bob Rozakis. They may be able to point you in the right direction. 

They may think it's odd, but maybe not!

Heh. Bob Wayne and Bruce Bristow both work for DC... heh.

When I discovered the Man of Steel raffle edition and the 1992 Batman Blind Justice retailer giveaway, the first person I went to was Paul ... who told me that the books didn't exist and that DC had no record of it ever being printed. I had to do a lot of research on my own to find all the info on these. Paul is a GREAT source and a friend, but someone like Bob Rozakis might be the best person to go to. I'll see if I can get him to remember how these came about.

2 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

When I discovered the Man of Steel raffle edition and the 1992 Batman Blind Justice retailer giveaway,

Still not sure how you discovered the Man of Steel raffle edition, when there's a postcard insert in MOS announcing it. ;)

And the Blind Justice "giveaway" was in 1989, not 1992.

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Still not sure how you discovered the Man of Steel raffle edition, when there's a postcard insert in MOS announcing it. ;)

And the Blind Justice "giveaway" was in 1989, not 1992.

I DISCOVERED them by finding the first copies that were sold and had those sales recorded for the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide and Comics Buyer's Guide. Before that, no one knew, besides their owners, they even existed -- and most of them didn't have any idea what these were or that they were different/variants. My mistake on the Blind Justice. That's one thing you were correct on, it was 1989 and not 1992. I did the work on getting those listed in the Guide and I wrote the articles in Comics Buyer's Guide that told of their sale and existence. Same as I did the Miracleman Gold #1s and Blue #1s, the SoMuchFun! variants and the MPI cassette tape variants.

Just now, Michael Browning said:

I DISCOVERED them by finding the first copies that were sold and had those sales recorded for the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide and Comics Buyer's Guide. Before that, no one knew, besides their owners, they even existed -- and most of them didn't have any idea what these were or that they were different/variants. My mistake on the Blind Justice. That's one thing you were correct on, it was 1989 and not 1992. I did the work on getting those listed in the Guide and I wrote the articles in Comics Buyer's Guide that told of their sale and existence. Same as I did the Miracleman Gold #1s and Blue #1s, the SoMuchFun! variants and the MPI cassette tape variants.

Again..not at all sure how anyone could "DISCOVER" them when the MOS raffle edition was ANNOUNCED in the MOS mini. I'm pretty sure the first issue. The reason Blind Justice was known was because it was the only TPB of the series until "the real" TPB came out in 1992. 

I don't doubt that Overstreet didn't know about them. Bob doesn't care about modern books, and the OPG has been behind on that stuff for decades.

MM #1 Gold was listed in the OPG in the early 90s; the blue was incorrectly listed as "silver", as you pointed out earlier.

But collectors were well aware of these books, even if the OPG was not.

I've owned my MOS raffle for a very long time. Same with my Blind Justice TPB. No doubt, they aren't on a lot of people's radar....but that doesn't mean nobody knew about them outside their owners. 

For anyone to claim credit to "discovering" something, it can't be something that others are already aware of. It's like Jon McClure pretending he "discovered" the 30/35 cent variants. 

He did not.

Not even close.

In fact, they'd been appearing, in scattered form, in the OPG for nearly 20 years before he "discovered" them.

1 minute ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Again..not at all sure how anyone could "DISCOVER" them when the MOS raffle edition was ANNOUNCED in the MOS mini. I'm pretty sure the first issue. The reason Blind Justice was known was because it was the only TPB of the series until "the real" TPB came out in 1992. 

I don't doubt that Overstreet didn't know about them. Bob doesn't care about modern books, and the OPG has been behind on that stuff for decades.

MM #1 Gold was listed in the OPG in the early 90s; the blue was incorrectly listed as "silver", as you pointed out earlier.

But collectors were well aware of these books, even if the OPG was not.

I've owned my MOS raffle for a very long time. Same with my Blind Justice TPB. No doubt, they aren't on a lot of people's radar....but that doesn't mean nobody knew about them outside their owners. 

For anyone to claim credit to "discovering" something, it can't be something that others are already aware of. It's like Jon McClure pretending he "discovered" the 30/35 cent variants. 

He did not.

Not even close.

In fact, they'd been appearing, in scattered form, in the OPG for nearly 20 years before he "discovered" them.

Jealous much? I'm not sure how you don't understand because I've told you this time and time again. If you'd done the research and the interviews to find out all about these -- and got them listed in the Overstreet Price Guide and Comics Buyer's Guide like I did -- then I'd give you the credit for discovering them. However, you did not. Matter of fact, I don't know of anything you have contributed to these threads or to comic fandom and history.

Jon McClure can be credited as discovering the 30/35 cent variants because he was the first to research them and their sales and he got that research listed in the Guide. So, I (and many other collectors) do consider him to be the person who "discovered" those variants.

Here's an idea to help you better understand: You go to work for Overstreet like I did for 15 years and dig up stuff previously not listed or not known to exist and record the sales of those rarities and then get that information listed in the Guide. Or, contribute something of note to these threads. That's really all I'd like to see you do.

15 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

Jealous much?

Not even slightly. I have actual, genuine discoveries under my belt. Why would anyone be jealous of claims of "discoveries" that are anything but?

I'm not sure how you don't understand because I've told you this time and time again. If you'd done the research and the interviews to find out all about these -- and got them listed in the Overstreet Price Guide and Comics Buyer's Guide like I did -- then I'd give you the credit for discovering them. However, you did not.

Good for you, However, that doesn't mean you discovered them. It's kinda like Columbus discovering America...the vikings had known about it for centuries.

Getting something listed in the OPG is hardly the same thing as "discovering" them. As well...the MM #1 gold and blues were available, to the public, at SDCC in 1985. MM #1 was a big deal in 1985. No discovery there.

Matter of fact, I don't know of anything you have contributed to these threads or to comic fandom and history.

No doubt, as a newb, you don't. However, it's pretty extensive.

Jon McClure can be credited as discovering the 30/35 cent variants because he was the first to research them and their sales and he got that research listed in the Guide. So, I (and many other collectors) do consider him to be the person who "discovered" those variants.

No he can't. 30 and 35 cent variants were listed IN THE GUIDE for nearly two decades before he "supposedly" discovered them.

Here, look:

DSCF4907.thumb.JPG.a5162d4e6390ea7731b7a8668eff82b4.JPG

That's the 1988 Overstreet Update, #7. See the listing for X-Men #98 and #99? Notice the "30 cent variant" notation...?

EUREKA! I discovered them! See? They're right there! 

:whee:

And NO, Jon McClure was NOT the "first to research them." He was just the first to make Overstreet aware of their scope. That's not the same thing as DISCOVERING them. Anyone who considers him to have "discovered" them is enabling credit theft.

Here's an idea to help you better understand: You go to work for Overstreet like I did for 15 years and dig up stuff previously not listed or not known to exist and record the sales of those rarities and then get that information listed in the Guide.

There's tons of stuff in the OPG that isn't listed. That doesn't mean they're undiscovered. When you actually discover books that are not previously known to have existed, get back to me.

Or, contribute something of note to these threads. That's really all I'd like to see you do.

lol

I have contributed more to these boards than 99% of the people who post here. If you're not aware of that, you're welcome to check out my posts. Until then, if you're going to claim to have "discovered" what many people were already aware of, which means you didn't discover them, then you ought to be prepared to be challenged. Nobody cares who worked at Overstreet for how long. All that matters are the facts.

(thumbsu

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

13 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I have contributed more to these boards than 99% of the people who post here. If you're not aware of that, you're welcome to check out my posts.  (thumbsu

With over 51,00 posts you have posted more than 99% of the people who post here. And if we could count words, make it 100% ! :baiting:  :jokealert:

13 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

I DISCOVERED them by finding the first copies that were sold and had those sales recorded for the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide and Comics Buyer's Guide. Before that, no one knew, besides their owners, they even existed -- and most of them didn't have any idea what these were or that they were different/variants. 

Rockmyamadeus is right about this book.  I won the Man of Steel Raffle in 1987 and still have the book and letter.  Collectors knew about the book.  It wasn't considered to be worth anything significant because Man of Steel had been purchased by everyone in multiples at the time, and it was just the books thrown into a cheap cardboard cover.  I was never tempted to sell it for the few bucks over the cover price of the comics contained therein I'd have gotten.  It used to be available for purchase cheaply, has that changed?  

Edited by sfcityduck

16 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I have contributed more to these boards than 99% of the people who post here. 

Spoiler

Until a few days ago, I'd never seen nor heard of your posts.  Personally, I place guys like Bangzoom, Gator, Bedrock, etc. at the top of my list for consistently contributing information of value to comics fandom on these boards, and the neatest "discoveries" I've seen were posted by guys like ECcomics, Soticollector, jpepx (sp?), etc.  I think a couple of threads I put up also revealed neat "discoveries," and that's true for a lot of posters on these boards.  So your reputation might benefit more if you avoided the Trumpian boast, and instead recognized that there are many many great contributors to these boards.

Feel free to ignore this sidebar.

Edited by sfcityduck

3 hours ago, sfcityduck said:
15 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I have contributed more to these boards than 99% of the people who post here. 

Until a few days ago, I'd never seen nor heard of your posts.....(snip)

Spoiler

Huh. Interesting. 

I wonder...this is the first time you've ever posted in the Copper section of the boards. I didn't do a deep search, but I think I can make that claim with accuracy.

So....how is it that, for the first time in 10 years, you manage to find your way here today, of all days....? (See: "CGC census sets new highs" thread in General.)

Oh, and for the record, no, it's not the first time you've ever "seen or heard" of my posts. We've interacted before. You just don't remember. And you don't get 51,000+ posts by being a ghost. 

Now, it's clear to me that you and I don't see eye to eye...for whatever reason, whoever is at fault, I'm not placing blame. But it's true nevertheless. This post is a great example of that...you fail to understand the rhetorical value of meeting boastful hyperbole with "boastful hyperbole", pluck that single line out of context, and then engage in more personal critiques that derails threads...not to mention being a violation of the boards' "No Politics" rule.

This board is not served by such commentary, anywhere, by anyone. In a perfect world, personal issues would be left outside the door.

So...I am asking, for your sake, for my sake, and for the board's sake, to please disengage. 

I don't think it's an unreasonable request.

Thank you.

For an example of my opinion of this board and its contributors, I'll point to this thread here:

My apologies to this thread and its readers for this post, but I felt it necessary. :(

Spoilered, so as not to disrupt this thread.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
Spoiler

Huh. Interesting. 

I wonder...this is the first time you've ever posted in the Copper section of the boards. I didn't do a deep search, but I think I can make that claim with accuracy.

So....how is it that, for the first time in 10 years, you manage to find your way here today, of all days....? (See: "CGC census sets new highs" thread in General.)

Oh, and for the record, no, it's not the first time you've ever "seen or heard" of my posts. We've interacted before. You just don't remember. And you don't get 51,000+ posts by being a ghost. 

Now, it's clear to me that you and I don't see eye to eye...for whatever reason, whoever is at fault, I'm not placing blame. But it's true nevertheless. This post is a great example of that...you fail to understand the rhetorical value of meeting boastful hyperbole with "boastful hyperbole", pluck that single line out of context, and then engage in more personal critiques that derails threads.

This board is not served by such commentary, anywhere, by anyone. In a perfect world, personal issues would be left outside the door.

So...I am asking, for your sake, for my sake, and for the board's sake, to please disengage. 

I don't think it's an unreasonable request.

Thank you.

Spoiler

No mystery.  I was wondering why you'd dropped off the discussion on the other thread.  I decided to post (in support of your position, by the way) because I'd won the Man of Steel raffle and it appeared that some misinformation needed to be corrected.

I only commented on your boast because the arrogance was jarring.  I think you do appear to have helpful contributions to make, but your desire to endlessly argue is a flaw - one which I sometimes share - and realizing that you are just one of many in the play we call life, not its star, would help you immensely.  We can both do better for that matter.  You are correct that I see no value to "meeting boastful hyperbole with boastful hyperbole."  Better to lead by example.  

You are correct we've probably interacted and I've forgotten.  You are incorrect I've never posted on copper threads before.  My collecting heyday was 1976 to 1989 so this is a topic which interests me.  I have also posted on modern (which is a much more odd thing for me to do).  But, most of my activity is Gold.

More boring stuff that can be ignored.

Edited by sfcityduck

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

No mystery.  I was wondering why you'd dropped off the discussion on the other thread.  I decided to post (in support of your position, by the way) because I'd won the Man of Steel raffle and it appeared that some misinformation needed to be corrected.

I only commented on your boast because the arrogance was jarring.  I think you do appear to have helpful contributions to make, but your desire to endlessly argue is a flaw - one which I sometimes share - and realizing that you are just one of many in the play we call life, not its star, would help you immensely.  We can both do better for that matter.  You are correct that I see no value to "meeting boastful hyperbole with boastful hyperbole."  Better to lead by example.  

You are correct we've probably interacted and I've forgotten.  You are incorrect I've never posted on copper threads before.  My collecting heyday was 1976 to 1989 so this is a topic which interests me.  I have also posted on modern (which is a much more odd thing for me to do).  But, most of my activity is Gold.

One more time: your insulting and inaccurate personal opinions and critiques of other members, regardless of how valid you believe them to be, are inappropriate, unwelcome, and have no place here. They serve only to provoke conflict. 

I am asking you again: for your sake, for my sake, and for the board's sake, please keep your personal opinions about others to yourself and disengage.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

41 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

One more time: your insulting and inaccurate personal opinions and critiques of other members, regardless of how valid you believe them to be, are inappropriate, unwelcome, and have no place here. They serve only to provoke conflict. 

I am asking you again: for your sake, for my sake, and for the board's sake, please keep your personal opinions about others to yourself and disengage.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

You hate conflict?  You are concerned with derailing threads?  ;)  News to me.

In any event, I'm happy to forego further analysis of what might be motivating you to act the way you do or my attempts to convince you to act otherwise.  I doubt you will change, so there's no point.  But, don't expect outrageous comments to get a free pass.  Do expect good comments to get a "like."