• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comprehensive List of DC Universe Logo UPC Variants
18 18

2,151 posts in this topic

On 7/13/2019 at 8:01 PM, Wolverinex said:

Found a second copy of Detective 690 with a DCU sticker. cover price.. debating if I should pick it up if it's rare enough... I already have 1 in my collection.  @RockMyAmadeus

Is it a DCU logo sticker? Those are absolutely fascinating. As Kirk said, I would pick it up.

1 minute ago, Wolverinex said:

2041501975_detective890dcu.jpg.c8c88c3bd1705ca1d80e0d95263bf4e9.thumb.jpg.046300372198dc7ff60290520614c3ab.jpg

Yeah, that's great. If I had to venture a guess, I would say that DC made those because they wanted the books to go in collectors packs, and, having had long experience with the potential for packs to be scanned as single book prices, they made these stickers to go on to copies that they already had on hand, instead of going back and printing more with the DCU logo printed on in the UPC box.

Which ALSO brings up another fascinating aspect that isn't discussed much, which is that publishers DID warehouse their books to some degree or another.

It's the opposite of books like Superman #75 2nd UPC, which had the Direct logo, and they needed a bar code to be scanned.

The glut era is filled with all sorts of oddities that wouldn't normally exist had there not been the glut.

On 7/21/2019 at 8:52 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yeah, that's great. If I had to venture a guess, I would say that DC made those because they wanted the books to go in collectors packs, and, having had long experience with the potential for packs to be scanned as single book prices, they made these stickers to go on to copies that they already had on hand, instead of going back and printing more with the DCU logo printed on in the UPC box.

Which ALSO brings up another fascinating aspect that isn't discussed much, which is that publishers DID warehouse their books to some degree or another.

It's the opposite of books like Superman #75 2nd UPC, which had the Direct logo, and they needed a bar code to be scanned.

The glut era is filled with all sorts of oddities that wouldn't normally exist had there not been the glut.

Awesome analysis.   Are there any other stickered DCUs?

On 7/22/2019 at 8:52 PM, bellrules said:

Just picked these guys up. I think the Wonder Woman and Superman issues were packaged together. B163DBAD-F535-4C4C-A46D-71745445A87D.thumb.jpeg.0252220f3da097e9ba5e23baeb439038.jpeg

626BA6E1-CCBE-4685-AA1F-7E9885351D5A.jpeg

Where did you nab these from? I had nice stacks of the same Wonder Woman and Batman issue in a collection I picked up a couple of years ago. I wonder if they came from the same source? Send me a PM if you would like to compare notes.

On 8/15/2019 at 11:47 PM, kimik said:

Where did you nab these from? I had nice stacks of the same Wonder Woman and Batman issue in a collection I picked up a couple of years ago. I wonder if they came from the same source? Send me a PM if you would like to compare notes.

I think they might have been sold at an auction house on 184 street back in the day. They were broken up and split into lots with copies of every issue scattered throughout. I've seen large numbers of these issues pop up at various locations since then. Wee Book has had a bunch, as well as Tony at Ultimate. I must have at least 40 copies of the WW 98.

1 hour ago, kimik said:

I thought that WW 98 was one of the more desireable ones not that long ago? 

not after posting that pic.  But I think in general (and DCU's included), the Bolland WW's ticked up a bit in the last few years.

The 'fun' part of these is that the market is mostly non-existent but potentially volatile.  No one knows how many there are of any given comic, and ones that WERE considered rare might suddenly be common, or ones that WERE sought after by three people willing to pay $50 each, might leave someone holding the bag if they OVERPAID for the FOURTH copy ever found.

It's great if one gets the opportunity, but it's largely folly to actively try to profit on these, other than picking them up for 25cents-$1 and trying to sell them for $2-$5.  So just sit back, hunt if you want, and share the love.