• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comprehensive List of DC Universe Logo UPC Variants
18 18

2,151 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, mysterio said:

A few thoughts came to mind on this...

I’ve lobbied successfully for at least one registry addition: the blacked out price variant of JIM #76. Others weren’t so successful. Obviously adding ~300 of these to the registry would require a serious overhaul. Such an overhaul might seriously irritate other collectors who don’t care about these variants, but would now feel compelled to seek them out. Of course, this would also go a long way towards publicizing them to a broader section of the collecting community. 

As for the software, they sure didn’t mind overhauling the boards (basically against the wishes of ALL of its users) and successfully migrated a ton of data over here. It could be done for the registry, if and when it becomes too expensive to maintain whatever legacy system they’re still running. 

I think we both know how difficult it is to get the Registry points adjusted. I lobbied for some adjustments to the 'formulas', assuming they could implement via some programming changes but they told me it can't be done. It is a manual effort with each entry of the individual tables changed one by one. The tables themselves are huge with all the permutations of grade, Resto Tiers, Signature Service, etc. Anyway, understanding this better, I have refrained from making any more requests. I still use the Registry but it is no longer competitive for me. Recognition of the DCU variant would be cool but it's not important to me as I have no intention of pursuing a slabbed collection of these. I also don't have the energy to discuss this further with RMA . :devil:

56 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think we both know how difficult it is to get the Registry points adjusted. I lobbied for some adjustments to the 'formulas', assuming they could implement via some programming changes but they told me it can't be done. It is a manual effort with each entry of the individual tables changed one by one. The tables themselves are huge with all the permutations of grade, Resto Tiers, Signature Service, etc. Anyway, understanding this better, I have refrained from making any more requests. I still use the Registry but it is no longer competitive for me. Recognition of the DCU variant would be cool but it's not important to me as I have no intention of pursuing a slabbed collection of these. I also don't have the energy to discuss this further with RMA . :devil:

I wasn’t even talking about the registry points, which are a hopeless mess I stopped caring about a long time ago. If they could get registry slots in the various titles that would serve the purposes (and cause the rage) I outlined. 

4 hours ago, mysterio said:

Such an overhaul might seriously irritate other collectors who don’t care about these variants, but would now feel compelled to seek them out.

I completely understand and agree with this observation, and think it's a damn shame that such feelings would even be considered by anyone. No one is compelled, by force, to collect anything. That we should sacrifice scholarship and completeness because some people don't want to be bothered with it is totally backwards. 

And to your point about the board overhaul...they did it twice. The 2007 overhaul was also done to howling protests. 

One more observation: I have absolutely no idea how their system works, but...they add new books...by the hundreds, if not thousands...every year. They also add different versions of existing books, as well (just examples that no one had submitted yet. I've done several myself, like obscure Image variants of the 90s. Again, I have absolutely no idea how their system works, but...if it's possible to add new books, a old books that haven't been added yet...what's the real reason for the pushback?

I have a question about something in the CBSI article. I appologize if this information is already in this thread here, but . . . the thread is long (and time is fleeting). From the article:

"And try to remember that they came in a multitude of different packs, not all 20 packs have DCU UPC editions. Because the packs were manufactured by month it’s likely that DC included reprints with the UPC logo to fill the packs and even went back to press to print DCUs to fill gaps. 20 packs from Toys R Us were packed by month so the packs have the same books."

Is it correct that the 20 packs contain comics released all in the same month? For example, if I found a 20 pack with Man of Steel 23 on the outside, I would know that all of the comics within have a cover date of July 1993 (and thus, no DCU variants inside)?

14 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I completely understand and agree with this observation, and think it's a damn shame that such feelings would even be considered by anyone. No one is compelled, by force, to collect anything. That we should sacrifice scholarship and completeness because some people don't want to be bothered with it is totally backwards. 

I simply meant that CGC would get complaints because people who did take the competitive nature of the registry (too) seriously would now need to concern themselves with the newly listed variants. I’d prefer to see them added someplace for the information. If they’re going to do a registry, it ought to serve as a store of information as much as possible. 

1 hour ago, mysterio said:
1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I simply meant that CGC would get complaints because people who did take the competitive nature of the registry (too) seriously would now need to concern themselves with the newly listed variants. I’d prefer to see them added someplace for the information. If they’re going to do a registry, it ought to serve as a store of information as much as possible. 

I understand and still agree. I'm not sure if anyone has considered this, but there need not be additions to the "regular set", if it's going to upset the "What?? Now I have to get that, TOO??" crowd. 

1 hour ago, bffnut said:

I have a question about something in the CBSI article. I appologize if this information is already in this thread here, but . . . the thread is long (and time is fleeting). From the article:

"And try to remember that they came in a multitude of different packs, not all 20 packs have DCU UPC editions. Because the packs were manufactured by month it’s likely that DC included reprints with the UPC logo to fill the packs and even went back to press to print DCUs to fill gaps. 20 packs from Toys R Us were packed by month so the packs have the same books."

Is it correct that the 20 packs contain comics released all in the same month? For example, if I found a 20 pack with Man of Steel 23 on the outside, I would know that all of the comics within have a cover date of July 1993 (and thus, no DCU variants inside)?

Yes. At least, that's typical. There's no telling if a different month might have slipped in of an issue or two, but generally, they're all the same month.

8 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Yes. At least, that's typical. There's no telling if a different month might have slipped in of an issue or two, but generally, they're all the same month.

I've opened quite a few 20-packs bricks and so have some friends of mine in the name of research.  In general, they contain comic books with the same cover date.   Every once in awhile there would be some in the pack from the prior or following month.  

Edited by Cpt Kirk

58 minutes ago, Cpt Kirk said:
9 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I've opened quite a few 20-packs bricks and so have some friends of mine in the name of research.  In general, they contain comic books with the same cover date.   Every once in awhile there would be some in the pack from the prior or following month.  

That's been my experience, too.

:news: Updated 9/4/18

:news:Added: Nothing since January 2018

Action Comics 684 3rd print, 686 2nd print, 695-710 (2 versions of 700), 712-715, 718, 722-726

Adventures Superman 498 4th print, 499 3rd print, 508-522, 524-532, 535-540, Annual 8

Animaniacs 1, 2, 4-7, 9-10, 15, 16, 18, Christmas 1

Aquaman 1, 3-9, 21-24

Aquaman: Time & Tide 1-3

Azrael 15, 16, 19, 20, 22

Batman 503-512, 514-524 (515 has two versions), 526-527, 529, 531 (2 versions)-535,

Batman Annual 13, 20

Batman Adventures 17, 18, 33, 35-36

Batman Chronicles # 4

Batman & Robin Adventures 1, 3, 4, 7, 8

Batman Legends Dark Knight 62-63

Batman: Shadow of the Bat 25, 29, 30, 35, 38 ,48, 49, 52-57

Catwoman 5-7, 9, 11-13, 15, 17-19, 31, 32, 36, Annual 2

Damage 0

DC vs Marvel #1, 4

Detective Comics 670-691 (675 and 682 have 2 versions), 694-704,

Detective Comics Annual 8-9

Flash 86-102 (100 has 2 versions), 104, 109-110, 114-117

Final night 1-4

Green Lantern # 36, 47-56 (51 has 1st and 2nd print), 58, 59, 61, 63-68, 70, 75-77, 79-81 (2 versions of 81),

Green Arrow 110-111

Guy Gardner 15-17

Impulse 3, 10, 14-16

Justice League International 60-63, 67

Justice League of America 69 4th print 84-93, 95, 97-99, 107-108, 112

Justice League Task Force 7, 17, 19, 20, 22, 23, 32

Legionnaires 10, 12, 16, 19, 21-22, 25-26, 29, 33

Looney Tunes 2-6, 8, 12-15

Nightwing 1, 2

Pinky & Brain 1

Parallax: Emerald Night # 1

Power of Shazam 1-4, 12, 16-17, 19

Robin 3-9, 11-22 (2 versions of 14), 25, 27-28, 30-35

Robin Annual 4-5

Showcase '94 1-10

Steel 1-9, 11-15, 17, 23, 24, 28-29, 31

Superboy 1-9, 11-16, 20, 23-24, 29-30, 32, Annual 3

Superboy and the Ravers 1-2

Supergirl (1994) #1-4

Supergirl (1996) #2-4

Superman 74 4th print, 77 3rd print, 85-106, 108-109, 113-118

Superman Annual 6, 8

Superman Man Steel 18 5th print, 19 3rd print, 20 2nd print, 29-38, 40-50, 52-53, 57-60, Annual 3

Superman: The Man Of Tomorrow # 1, 5

Superman Doomsday: Hunter/Prey 1-3

Superman Wedding 1 (2 versions)

Superman Toyman 1

Sovereign Seven # 1

Where in the World is Carmen San Diego? #1

Wonder Woman 82, 84-93, 95-98, 101, 106

* This list does not denote any variances in indices or advertisements that may or may not exist for any given issue.  There is some discussion about this in the last 5-10 pages or so.  Feel free to read through that and/or create your own sub list(s) if you're into it.

I just reposted the list.

And I wanted to pose a question:

Clearly there are a lot of 'Doomsday/Death of Superman' reprint DCU's.  Has anyone heard anything about Superman 75 having a DCU of any printing?  Of course Superman 74 has the 4th print DCU.

19 minutes ago, revat said:

I just reposted the list.

And I wanted to pose a question:

Clearly there are a lot of 'Doomsday/Death of Superman' reprint DCU's.  Has anyone heard anything about Superman 75 having a DCU of any printing?  Of course Superman 74 has the 4th print DCU.

I've never seen/heard of any, and with the values of the Doomsday/Death/Funeral DCUs being as high as they are I am willing to guess that any that existed would have been shaken loose by now. The examples of the two packs towards the top of this page are pretty good evidence that normal later prints were inserted in these packs.

I've never seen a DCU Supes #75. I would imagine, with the 4th printing, they printed a boatload, so they wouldn't have to print more...plus the TPB came out rather quickly.

There are NINE different versions of Superman #75 (1st Deluxe, 1st "regular", 1st newsstand, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd newsstand, 4th, 4th newsstand, "Platinum")

Crazy, huh?