Comprehensive List of DC Universe Logo UPC Variants
12 12

1,398 posts in this topic

11,811 posts
50 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

How about 51 first print?

'Supposedly' the Green Lantern run is one of the easiest runs to get with #70 listed as the most difficult in the run. However, I got a copy, in the wild, easy enough .  (shrug)

Here's an article about this topic...............

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/12/12/rare-not-rare-dc-universe-logo-upc-variants/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,443 posts
22 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

'Supposedly' the Green Lantern run is one of the easiest runs to get with #70 listed as the most difficult in the run. However, I got a copy, in the wild, easy enough .  (shrug)

Here's an article about this topic...............

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/12/12/rare-not-rare-dc-universe-logo-upc-variants/

Thanks for the link. It was an interesting read that supported my speculation that some of these are easier/more difficult depending on region. For example, the author was leaning toward putting AOS #524 on his difficult list while I’ve seen that one pretty frequently. Such a fascinating series. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,322 posts
12 hours ago, mysterio said:
12 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

'Supposedly' the Green Lantern run is one of the easiest runs to get with #70 listed as the most difficult in the run. However, I got a copy, in the wild, easy enough .  (shrug)

Here's an article about this topic...............

https://comicbookinvest.com/2017/12/12/rare-not-rare-dc-universe-logo-upc-variants/

Thanks for the link. It was an interesting read that supported my speculation that some of these are easier/more difficult depending on region. For example, the author was leaning toward putting AOS #524 on his difficult list while I’ve seen that one pretty frequently. Such a fascinating series. 

I think in general I wouldn't pay more than $10 (and usually not more than $5) for a given issue in the wild UNLESS I've been specifically looking for that one for a long time OR Cpt Kirk says its rare OR its a high grade, OR its key/valuable for some other reason.  CBI's opinions on this issue are too arbitrary and subjective for me to base any financial decisions.

Edited by revat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,443 posts
Just now, revat said:

I think in general I wouldn't pay more than $10 (and usually not more than $5) for a given issue in the wild UNLESS I've been specifically looking for that one for a long time OR Cpt Kirk says its rare OR its a high grade, OR its key/valuable for some other reason.

Agreed. For me DCUs are all about the thrill of the chase. I'd rather find them myself, though I will buy from other DCU addicts to support the cause. I agree that $10 is about my maximum though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,811 posts
43 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Agreed. For me DCUs are all about the thrill of the chase. I'd rather find them myself, though I will buy from other DCU addicts to support the cause. I agree that $10 is about my maximum though.

So true, I recently turned down an offer from a Boardie to fill in large quantities for some of the holes in my DCU collection because I wanted to retain the thrill of the chase. Actually, I try to maintain a 5.00 max unless the FMV of the regular edition is higher, though they usually are not. My LCS has recognized people are collecting these and started asking a lot more, double to triple. I've passed on many books because of the price. I look at this as a cheap, fun chase to keep me satisfied from spending the bigger bucks on vintage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,443 posts
2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

So true, I recently turned down an offer from a Boardie to fill in large quantities for some of the holes in my DCU collection because I wanted to retain the thrill of the chase. Actually, I try to maintain a 5.00 max unless the FMV of the regular edition is higher, though they usually are not. My LCS has recognized people are collecting these and started asking a lot more, double to triple. I've passed on many books because of the price. I look at this as a cheap, fun chase to keep me satisfied from spending the bigger bucks on vintage.

Yep, these scratch the hunting/buying itch much more inexpensively!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
728 posts

I think that you guys are right on the money to limit spending on these DCU variants to about $5 or $10 if you think of them as investments.  For the most part, I don't think variants are a good investment but instead are just a fun part of the hobby.   Once the die-hard variant collectors have filled their want list, there just doesn't seem to be a demand for the remaining variants that are on the market.   I've seen survey variants, DCU variants, jeweler variants, newsstand variants, etc sit on the market for more than one year with no bites once the demand is satisfied.

The reason I offer bounties on the variants I still don't have is because I'm hoping it will entice others to keep an eye out for my want list.   That, and helping others find stuff they want, seems to really help me with finding the variants I am missing.

I've been collecting for 40 years and it still seems like the age-old advice still applies... if you are looking for an investment, buy high-grade golden-age popular super-hero comic books or landmark issues.    Of course, there are always exceptions but it would be very hard to guess which ones will pan out.   Here is one example of one that really did pan out well for me: only 8 years ago I paid what I thought at the time was a ridiculous price of $450 for a CGC 9.6 copy of Batman 608 RRP.  Now I think these sell north of $3K.   Even though this rarely happens, I sure am glad I decided to buy it when I did.  

Edited by Cpt Kirk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55,942 posts

I've said this before, and I'll echo you all above: the best part about these is that they are a fascinating little niche in the midst of some of the most monstrous print runs the industry ever saw. They're rare, but not *too* rare. They're young enough to be generally available in high grade, and old enough to be "collectible."  They are finite: they have a beginning, and they have an end. Plus, they are genuine variants, of the kind that quietly gets published, totally under the radar, and is ignored for a couple of decades, like the 30/35s before them.

They put back a lot of the thrill of the chase into an era that is flooded with garbage. I think $5-$10 is the most these should be worth; if they got to be worth much more than that, with some exceptions, it wouldn't be fun anymore, because everyone would run to find them and put them on their walls for 10 times what they are actually worth. That would be a shame if that happened.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,322 posts
11 hours ago, Pat Cook said:

Selling my collection after 30 years, while going through the copies I stumbled on these .. let me know if anyone is interested.

Batman515.jpg

DetectiveComics682.jpg

Robin13.jpg

Robin14.jpg

ShadowOfTheBat35.jpg

Very cool, but this is not an ideal place to directly hawk (hock?) your wares, there are other forums/threads for that.  Not that your one post is especially harmful or that its SUCH a big deal, but its a slippery slope, imagine if every third post was 'hey wanna buy these'? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 posts
1 hour ago, revat said:

Very cool, but this is not an ideal place to directly hawk (hock?) your wares, there are other forums/threads for that.  Not that your one post is especially harmful or that its SUCH a big deal, but its a slippery slope, imagine if every third post was 'hey wanna buy these'? 

 

Thanks and sorry my bad didn't mean any harm .. I've revised my post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,713 posts
20 hours ago, Pat Cook said:

Thanks and sorry my bad didn't mean any harm .. I've revised my post.

Nice copies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,713 posts
On 11/2/2018 at 10:18 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

They put back a lot of the thrill of the chase into an era that is flooded with garbage.

Yep, you've got that right.  Here are a few I've chased down -- the first 11 issues are from ebay lots, and the next 12 are the results of longbox searches.  Some are duplicates, some are upgrades, and a few are new additions!   It's fun to continue to find these and inch my collection closer to completion.

 

819122934_IMG_20181118_183221-Copy.thumb.jpg.b3cb387733e0ae9655a0f2089f0ec172.jpg1377476786_IMG_20181118_183430-Copy.thumb.jpg.3550b814f972f5c9dd8b747f84654804.jpg402745687_IMG_20181118_183521-Copy.thumb.jpg.3b719df4315505e6475dd8cc5c5df8b1.jpg1353284427_IMG_20181118_183714-Copy.thumb.jpg.eeadae9fc40e6d685579f796abff419b.jpg1235095902_IMG_20181118_183754-Copy.thumb.jpg.77796f4dec6a248219ec2826c0230eeb.jpg945396643_IMG_20181118_183839-Copy.thumb.jpg.02d8881728c5d2918ad78366434b516d.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
874 posts

Massive mail call today. Spent too much on them, but given the amount of books, it was though to resist. Only a few doubles. And I agree. They aren’t worth much but are fun to collect. My searching them out at local shows and shops are making more people aware of these. The sealed pack was bought from another seller.

15C35983-230C-4F72-8FBB-3F52D0BDE0CE.jpeg

D825ECAE-7431-47B2-B8FC-C5FF288B81F7.jpeg

6185B8BC-E943-48D8-99CE-E11C55F06934.jpeg

789327E5-98EF-4CE2-84A2-0997DAAF35F5.jpeg

B482979D-6BB1-4199-87A4-1FA64828E271.jpeg

E31A6AC0-ACEF-4EAE-BD95-D93C80A723E1.jpeg

1533BCC3-DBAA-4B3B-ABE0-E2EC4E90BF62.jpeg

80EDC73C-E8F6-4488-BFA8-3749B787167B.jpeg

Edited by bellrules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,443 posts

My first DCUs of the new year. The Action is a new book for my collection, the Advs of Superman is an upgrade. Picked them up from a dealer at the North Texas show.

CCI02042019_00002.jpg

CCI02042019_00001.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
801 posts

A few finds today, mostly as a way of resurrecting this thread!

CBSI (FWIW) tells me that GL 68 and Flash 101 are tougher books, and the Detective Annual 8 seems to do well on ebay.

DCU 1.jpg

DCU2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
728 posts
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Brock said:

A few finds today, mostly as a way of resurrecting this thread!

CBSI (FWIW) tells me that GL 68 and Flash 101 are tougher books, and the Detective Annual 8 seems to do well on ebay.

Those are some hard-to-find ones.  Good job!

Speaking of hard-to-find, following is a photo of Superman Man of Steel 50 DCU.  As far as I know, this is only the second one to surface on this thread.   I friend of mine found it in Germany, of all places.   It cost him just a couple bucks, but then $80 to get it in my hands via insured mail (I would hate to lose a rare item in the mail).   What a nutty pursuit!

The only ones I still haven't found are Superman 113 and 117 (I know they exists) and Superman 95, SM MOS 49, and Adv of SM 530 (I never seen those three, so really not sure they exist... Jerome thought they did but he admits he has made mistakes on his database).   To give some idea of rarity, I would gladly pay $100 for any of those DCU variants if someone found them and was willing to sell them me one.

 

 

SM MOS 50 DCU.jpg

Edited by Cpt Kirk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,727 posts

Seems like there's a much greater awareness now to DCU variants. I used to come across them on eBay all the time without being labeled as such, now most are labeled appropriately and overpriced of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,028 posts

I have a graded copy of Green Lantern #49 coming my way, not a DCU variant but it prompted me to pull this from my childhood collection.407C34CB-AB63-4970-A358-A57E90E26F80.thumb.jpeg.0ff918747b037870df01fe33b7df0d81.jpeg

I saw a 9.8 of this second printing but it was over $500. The book is no longer available and I don’t know if it sold or not. I would love to have this DCU in 9.8, but not for that price. My copy looks like a possible 9.4, not bad for a book I got as a kid and read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40,103 posts
14 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Seems like there's a much greater awareness now to DCU variants. I used to come across them on eBay all the time without being labeled as such, now most are labeled appropriately and overpriced of course. 

What's the meaning of overpriced? (It's only overpriced if it doesn't sell.) :grin:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
12 12