• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel film & TV rights shell game - who owns what?
5 5

345 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I am so sorry I missed this post. :foryou:

I think the last news article is the status-quo right now. Disney working out some deal with Universal so both parties benefit could be the path forward.

Thanks Bosco! I’m convinced Marvel could do a bang up job with this character.

On 3/9/2018 at 4:23 PM, Bosco685 said:

Marvel Studios

Sony Pictures

Some big Spider-Man decisions to be made in 2019-2020 that benefits both parties.

Interesting CNBC article on the Hulk, his continued film rights limitation, and his potential future.

Marvel’s post-‘Endgame’ anger-management issue: The Incredible Hulk’s future

Key points:

• Disney CEO Bob Iger said this week that “Avengers: Endgame” dropped many clues about the future of Marvel Cinematic Universe movies.
  • The Incredible Hulk battled with the Infinity Gauntlet and was injured, but unlike other key Avengers, like Captain America and Iron Man, the Hulk’s future remains unknown.
  • Hulk’s history at the box office as a stand-alone film vehicle has been hit or miss. Like Spider-Man, the character is caught in a complicated rights relationship between Universal Studios and Disney’s Marvel.

The Hulk has fronted his own films in the past, which were produced by Comcast’s Universal Studios, with lackluster results, especially by recent Disney-Marvel box-office standards. Although Marvel owns the character rights to the Hulk, Universal owns the rights to any solo picture. Back in the early 2000s, when the two Hulk movies were released through Universal, Marvel had not yet been acquired by Disney, a deal that was struck in 2009 for over $4 billion.

The 2008 “The Incredible Hulk” is considered part of Marvel’s larger cinematic universe, despite starring Edward Norton instead of Ruffalo and being a Universal film. Prior to being acquired by Disney, Marvel was also distributing its content through Paramount Pictures, a Viacom Company. It distributed the first two “Iron Man” movies, “Thor” and “Captain America: The First Avenger.”

Making solo Hulk movies isn’t easy, according to Mark Ruffalo himself. “A standalone ‘Hulk’ movie will never happen,” Ruffalo said to Variety in 2017. “Universal has the rights, and for some reason, they don’t know how to play well with Marvel. And they don’t want to make money.”

The Hollywood Reporter wrote in 2015 that part of the problem between Universal and Disney is that Disney wants the Marvel theme park rights that Universal possesses. Both companies are not only locked in box-office competition but the lucrative and increasingly important theme park business tied to blockbuster films.

With the death of Robert Downey Jr.’s “Iron Man” in “Endgame,” Robbins believes that the Hulk is now the bonafide genius of the Avengers, especially since the latest Avengers installment conveyed the Hulk as “Professor Hulk,” a comic book adaptation that provides the character with Bruce Banner’s intellect but with the powerful physique of his counter monster.

“There are a lot of cool things they can do with Professor Hulk, especially with characters like the Fantastic Four and Reed Richards now available to Marvel,” added Marvel connoisseur Jeremy Conrad, a media influencer and editor-in-chief of MCUCosmic. “I know a lot of people really want to see him show up in a movie with Wolverine.”

“He is literally a huge part of the Marvel legacy, and there is more green to be made with this essential character,” Dergarabedian said. “Ruffalo as Hulk is one of the standout highlights of ‘Endgame,’ and there is certainly many directions they could go, and within the no-limitations creative options in any superhero universe, there are more angles to take on this great character.”

I didn't even consider Universal and Disney fighting over theme park rights and how this factors into the Hulk film rights.

:news:UPDATE: Since Marvel TV and film rights got so much simpler to determine. :news:

CONFIRMED:

Marvel Studios

Sony Pictures

Universal Pictures

UNCONFIRMED/UNCLEAR

Edited by Bosco685
Added Fox properties

17 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

It's a rumor right now. So time will tell if this is reality.

ANY Marvel movie character rights coming back to Marvel & the MCU is GOOD NEWS!!!

Would love to see Namor in the MCU.

Now..... they gotta spend the bucks to bring Spidey back into the fold.  They NEED him.

3 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm still ever so slightly disappointed that Hulk made it out of Endgame alive. Thor, too, kind of. I'd kinda like to see a Prime Thor on-screen, though.

For me, there should have been a revisit of that Thanos-Hulk fight as a big shocker to close out their first battle. But that's me.

I'll leave the Thor topic alone, as I was not a fan of the Endgame Thor.

This is a bit unrelated to movies, but I guess anything Marvel puts out now is pretty much a promotion for a future movie or tv show. 

I've been playing/collecting on the Topps Marvel Collect app since it launched last summer and have noticed the absence of some characters that should be fair game following the Disney/Fox deal. To date, no Fantastic Four-related characters have been included, but the X-Men are featured quite prominently. What's strangest of all is that the app includes pretty much every x-men or mutant but Gambit or Nightcrawler are nowhere to be found. Topps has even gone out of its way to black out Nightcrawler (see below) on cards featuring certain covers.

This is a bit in the weeds, but one can assume that the app was developed before the deal due to the fact that the X-Men/Mutants have their own 2019 "base" sets which rolled out separately from all other characters. For example, the app was developed pre-Disney/Fox deal and featured Disney-owned -> the deal happened, and Topps created a separate base set for mutants/fox-owned characters. New 2020 base sets feature all characters in the same series  

I'm assuming it's only a matter of time before FF appears, but is something in limbo as it relates to the rights to Gambit and Nightcrawler?

Notice the difference?

119912EA-AD07-4CF2-AA70-6F8392AD392A.thumb.jpeg.129d9575d11effdeab4a3cdab4976244.jpeg

A308CDC9-78C1-4885-97ED-4F14FDFEBA9D.thumb.png.a61a9a36e17d3821921d30a2423660db.png

Edited by awakeintheashes

The live-action rights to Jessica Jones and The Punisher have reverted back to Marvel Studios after a multi-year tenure with Netflix. The characters were the subjects of tremendously popular shows, along with Daredevil, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage. When Disney had revealed plans to launch their own streaming service which would rival Netflix, Netflix canceled all of their Marvel titles in a move which shocked fans of the successful properties. The rights to the characters remained with Netflix for two years after they were cancelled and that window has now officially closed, meaning Jessica Jones and Punisher are now eligible to used by Marvel Studios.

With Jessica Jones and The Punisher having been the last shows to be cancelled by Netflix, this now means all of the Marvel characters which were licensed to Netflix have now reverted their rights to Disney.

It is unclear whether or not Marvel Studios will incorporate the casts and characters off the Netflix shows which were developed separately by Jeph Loeb and his Marvel TV banner. Recently, Charlie Cox was spotted on the set of Marvel's Spider-Man 3, but it is unclear what role he would be playing in the joint venture from Marvel Studios and Sony Pictures. The Defenders-based shows may not remain on Netflix, as the streamer does not have exclusive distribution rights to the shows. There is no update on whether or not they will be moving anywhere yet.

"It's unbelievably humbling how much people sort of responded to this version of Frank, and I can't tell you how much it means to me because he means so much to me. He's in my blood, he's in my bones," said Punisher star Jon Bernthal in an interview on Geek House Show. "So it's not about whether we do it, it's about getting it right, and doing the version that the fans really deserve. We'll see. I mean, all of those decisions are made in rooms I am not invited into... But Frank's always there, he's always a part of me. And when we get the call to go, I'll be ready, and I'll make sure that I do everything I can to make sure that we do it right, or we won't do it at all."

An MCU Punisher Reboot
It’s been rumored that Marvel could be considering an MCU reboot with the Punisher. Castle has led his own movie before, and could do so again, potentially with more success if made in the MCU. Marvel has expressed a commitment in making every MCU movie different than the last, and The Punisher certainly serves as example of a property that would stand on its own. Marvel hasn’t made a movie as dark and grim as The Punisher would have to be, and a grounded story about a man going on a killing spree against the gangsters is a story Marvel hasn’t tried to tell yet. Plus, the news that the studio is willing to make an R-rated Deadpool 3 does indicate that a Punisher movie made by Marvel could happen at some point in the future. Of course, whether or not that happens could depend on how well Deadpool 3 performs. As for how it would be pulled off, The Punisher could be rebooted with the same actor who portrayed him before. Because of the multiverse, Marvel can press the restart button on Bernthal’s Frank Castle and start over from the beginning. It could be established that Netflix’s take on the Punisher existed in an alternate reality or timeline, and that this new version takes place in the same timeline as the one depicted in all other MCU movies and shows.

The Punisher Joins Moon Knight
Instead of giving Jon Bernthal’s anti-hero his own movie, he could act as an exciting guest star in another character’s show. Arguably the best fit for him is Disney+’s Moon Knight. Frank Castle would likely feel at home in the world of Marvel’s Crescent Crusader. Moon Knight’s dark tone would complement the Punisher well. Given that Marc Spector isn’t a household name yet, Castle’s inclusion would give the series a big boost. As for what his role would be, Punisher could appear as a ruthless vigilante who sets his sights on Oscar Isaac's Moon Knight. Whatever battle they engage in could lead to a team-up against a greater threat.

Guess we may receive a confirmation on Captain Britain sometime soon.

Right, so here’s some interesting information for you guys – Henry Cavill was in the Disney offices in London a few weeks back and I’m being told that it was to meet with Marvel representatives in person. [Editor’s note: We received this information back in May, but opted not to publish it until we could verify the source.]

This comes to me from a source close to Disney.

What I was told was that Cavill and members of his team were meeting with people at Marvel Studios so that they could talk face to face.

Was this for an upcoming project? Well, I wasn’t told anything about that.

I was informed that Cavill visited Disney’s London offices and “was flanked by a number of people”.

My source went on to specify that Cavill was there to “have a chat with some of Marvel’s people in London”, and that he was very intent on seeing people “face-to-face”.

However, my source did add that everyone was adhereing to the correct COVID-19 protocols, i.e. everyone were wearing masks in the bulding and social distancing as much as they could.