• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Movies/TV/Video Games Subforum General Discussion Thread
7 7

512 posts in this topic

Just finished A24's "A Ghost Story."

Definitely a thought provoking journey. It's a movie about loss and mourning, as well as waiting and observing. As well as I had originally thought, man questioning his own place in the Universe in the vast scheme of things.

It definitely continues A24's string of distributing fascinating movies, Ex-Machina, Room, The Witch, Green Room, It Comes at Night. Heck even their more slick productions are good: The Bling Ring, The Spectacular Now and The Captive.

I'm not going to lie, this isn't for everyone, because of it's tone it establishes. It reminds me a lot of A24's other movie that left it's audience at a loss, Under The Skin. It doesn't make me some kind of intellectual because I get what it's trying to say in some of it's long and quick takes. I think you just have to be in a similar mood as the story unfolds in front of you. 

Can't wait to watch it again with the commentary on.

***1/2 out of four stars.

Not a comic book movie, TV show or even video game. But game-focused nonetheless. But for those that collect game figures which you take from comic show to show for actual play, and wondering if there are trustworthy carry cases out there. And the reviewers makes this quite the entertaining experience.

lol

Turns out Christopher Reeve was not pleased with Marlon Brandon's contributions to the Superman: The Movie production. I had read before he had 'phoned it in' with his Jor-El role. This definitely confirms it.

'...he took the two-million and ran.'

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:51 PM, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

Watched a Polish musical (oh, that’s odd) about a pair of man-eating Mermaid sisters that get jobs at a strip club and sing in a band. No, I’m not kidding. The Lure (2015).

This is why this one was so familiar to me. You had mentioned it here.

Went back to Barnes & Nobles today, to buy more Criterions on sale and saw this title was sold out.

Must be in demand.

Saving mine for a rainy day. (thumbsu 

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:40 PM, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

I'm a big Virgin Suicides fan also, enjoy Sofia's body of work.  Saw The Beguiled in the theaters.  Dunst is a favorite also.

Just finished the Criterion edition of "Picnic at Hanging Rock."

Supposedly, it inspired Sofia's filmmaking.

If you haven't seen it, it might be right up your alley.

I really enjoyed it. (thumbsu 

On 11/11/2017 at 6:11 PM, NewEnglandGothic said:

A classic I've seen, thanks.  It's been a long time since, so maybe I'll add it to my queue and give it a reviewing.

No specific genre or order, but here's some movies I've watched from Netflix that I enjoyed in the last 4 months (yeah, it's been pretty sparse in good movies lately).

Your Name. (anime)

Maudie (drama)

Shot Caller (action)

The Big Sick (comedy)

How to Be a Latin Lover (comedy)

The Exception (thriller, drama)

Gifted (drama)

Their Finest (drama)

The Sense of an Ending (drama)

Land of Mine (action)

I loved Witching & person_without_enough_empathying (Spanish) and have recommended it a couple times, but nobody has posted they saw it.  Too bad, it's got some great visuals and love how the story does a 180 early on.

If you're looking for more recommendations, I posted a list of about 60 smaller independents or foreign movies I would recommend, previously that should be found in my old posts.  Here's the link from almost 2 years ago. 

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

2 hours ago, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

A classic I've seen, thanks.  It's been a long time since, so maybe I'll add it to my queue and give it a reviewing.

The Big Sick (comedy)

I figured you would have caught that one.

I started out so well watching all the inderendents during the 90's, but I just outright wasted over a decade of watching every funny book movie that came out no matter how bad. Now, I get excited whenever I find something I never watched before.

After watching A few Ingmar Bergman movies, revisting the early Hitchcocks, I feel like I wasted my life. lol 

Before last Friday, I watched Ghost Rider 2 twice and never watched The Hidden Fortress. That's been remedied now.

Good list.

Enjoyed The Big Sick. Looking forward to catching a few others when I get time.

Saw Ingrid Goes West in the theater.  Was a bit of a odd one, but worth watching.  Always like shows filmed near the area I grew up in, this was in Venice.  There's also a Netflix series starring Will Arnett that was filmed in the same area of Venice that's worth watching, 2 seasons have come out.

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

On 11/11/2017 at 6:11 PM, NewEnglandGothic said:

Watching this 1975 (Netflix lists 1979, which is the year it was released in the U.S.) movie again, it's a bit of a devilish idea to put a message before (as the book does) that it's based on actual events when it's fiction.  Wonder how often this has been done before?  The idea of no ending was actually the publisher of the books idea, he suggested that author remove the last chapter (the 12 pages were later published separately).  The flow and music of the move remind me of another movie, even though it has nothing to do with the subject, Miracles Still Happen (1974) that came out about the same time, that's about a sole survivor who's plane crashed in the Amazon jungle.

The director's most recent movie The Way Back (2010) was pretty good by the way.

I chuckled here and there throughout the new-ish “Baywatch” movie.

I started think that this wasn’t as bad as critics made it out to be.

Some of the jokes were downright idiotic though, despite the game cast, who awaited a sturdier plot.

As soon as it was over, I realized that it had indeed sucked. lol

22 Jump Street it’s not.

Warner Bros. dates DC Comics movies for Valentine’s Day and Summer 2020

Earlier today we learned that Warner Bros. is planning to announce the release date of Wonder Woman 2 at Comic-Con, and just now they set two release dates for DC Comics movies in 2020.

The first will be released on February 14, 2020… aka Valentine’s Day. The second DC Comics movie in 2020 will be released in the summer on June 5, 2020.