• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Movies/TV/Video Games Subforum General Discussion Thread
7 7

514 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, piper said:

I'm curious to see if they get relegated.

I started watching the show last night and 4 episodes I was surprised it actually all comes together. To include how the two coaches play off of one another.

On 7/11/2020 at 7:00 PM, Bosco685 said:

You're going to be surprised potentially. I know I was after seeing these films on Redbox due to someone's kind on demand freebie gifts.

MV5BMTg2NzI4NjY1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjUx

The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot (2018)

MV5BNjZjODI5NmUtZTM3ZS00ZDkyLWJiMDYtYjI4

Force Of Nature (2020)

I second these movies.  Had a crush on Stephanie Cayo since her Telemundo days.

“Schitt’s Creek” became the first series to win every major comedy award (including acting wins for Eugene Levy, Daniel Levy, Catherine O’Hara and Annie Murphy). “Watchmen’s” limited series win marked the first time a comic-book adaptation has taken home a top prize at the ceremony. Zendaya also made history with her win for lead drama actress, becoming the youngest-ever winner in the category (she turned 24 a few weeks ago) and becoming the second Black actor to take this trophy. A record number of Black actors were both nominated and won this year.

Holy “Schitt.”

“Schitt’s Creek” made history for tiny Pop TV on Sunday night — just as that network is easing out of the original programming business — by fully sweeping the major Emmy comedy categories, including outstanding series. And meanwhile, who watches the ‘Watchmen’? Turns out, quite a few Emmy voters.

The HBO limited series also dominated this year’s 72nd Emmy Awards, landing 11 total kudos — more than any other program this year — including the outstanding limited series category, best limited series actress for Regina King, limited supporting actor for Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, and writing for a limited series or movie.

Then there was HBO’s fan favorite drama “Succession,” which won best drama, drama actor (Jeremy Strong), writing for a drama and directing for a drama.

That made it a huge night for the folks at Home Box Office. “Watchmen,” “Succession” and repeat winner “Last Week Tonight” gave HBO plenty of wins on the tally board, but then what really brought it home for the pay cable network was perhaps “Euphoria” star Zendaya winning best actress in a drama. “I Know This Much is True” star Mark Ruffalo also contributed to the mix, winning for lead actor in a limited series.

HBO ended Emmy season with 30 wins, compared to Netflix’s 21.

A year ago, when both “Game of Thrones” and “Veep” ended its run, it also seemed like HBO had just lost its two most dominant, Emmy-winning series. But somehow, the WarnerMedia-owned pay cabler outdid itself. Last year, HBO had 34 wins total (including nine during the telecast), vs. Netflix’s 27 wins (including 4 during the show). This time, HBO won 11 during the telecast, far more than Netflix’s 2.

“Obviously there was a lot of questions about, ‘what will HBO do after Game of Thrones?’ This is a very nice way to answer that,” said HBO programming president Casey Bloys. “Netflix, of course, is a huge and formidable competitor. You want to be aware of your competition but not distracted by them. At some points, the volume game will probably win because that’s mathematics. But we’ll just continue to do the kinds of shows that we believe it with people we believe in.”

For anyone that grew up in the New Jersey/New York area back in the 80's or 90's, maybe you remember Action Park located at Vernon, NJ. HBO has rolled out a documentary about how five (5) people died there, it was so dangerous.

I worked there for a few years as a high school kid. Nuts!

Netflix has nabbed worldwide rights to “Heart of Stone,” a Gal Gadot-led espionage thriller that was developed by Skydance Media.

“Heart of Stone” marks the second major movie that Skydance has siphoned off this week. On Tuesday, Amazon Studios emerged as the frontrunner for “The Tomorrow War,” a science-fiction spectacle starring Chris Pratt. Amazon is reportedly shelling out $200 million for global rights, but insiders stress the sale hasn’t been finalized.

Unlike “The Tomorrow War,” which Amazon is purchasing as a completed film, “Heart of Stone” has not been shot yet and remains in the early stages of production.

Tom Harper, best known for “The Aeronauts” and “Wild Rose,” is directing the international action epic from a screenplay by Greg Rucka and Allison Schroeder. Plot details are being kept under wraps.

Skydance’s David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Don Granger are producing the film, along with Gadot, Jaron Varsano, Bonnie Curtis and Julie Lynn.

Skydance has been an active seller during the pandemic, recently auctioning off upcoming animated features “Luck” and “Spellbound” to Apple. Streaming services has been something of a salvation for traditional Hollywood studios and production companies, who rely on box office dollars to turn a profit on expensive movies. With U.S. cinemas mostly closed due to COVID-19, the few films that have opened theatrically have struggled to get out of the red.

Netflix and Skydance have previously partnered on films including “The Old Guard” with Charlize Theron, Ryan Reynolds’ “6 Underground” and the upcoming “The Adam Project” starring Reynolds and directed by Shawn Levy.

I feel like I haven't heard of 2003's MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD since its initial release but it's getting a little bit of attention in 2021 due to some online criticism it has received. The film's star, Russell Crowe, has never been afraid to voice his opinion and he responded to a tweet from musician Ian McNabb that suggested watching the film if you're having trouble sleeping during the pandemic.

McNabb actually tagged Crowe in the tweet that essentially said the film was boring. "Lots of folk complaining about lack of sleep during the Pandemic. May I recommend Master and Commander starring the always captivating, attention-grabbing Russell Crowe. I've never made it past the ten-minute mark." Even though McNabb posted his criticism of the film over a week ago, Crowe must've just learned of it over the weekend. There were various ways Crowe could've clapped back at the comment but he took the high road a bit, even though he suggested that McNabb may have an issue paying attention to the film because of his youth. 

Master and Commander received high notices from critics back in 2003. The film holds a fresh rating of 85% on Rotten Tomatoes and it went on to be nominated for Academy Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director. The movie only took home Best Cinematography and Best Sound Editing because The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King dominated in the other categories.

2 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Not exactly the type of movie that is going to win any Oscars, but I could watch that all day.

Once I saw him in The Purge I always felt he should have been given a shot as Frank Castle in the MCU.