• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Movies/TV/Video Games Subforum General Discussion Thread
7 7

512 posts in this topic

WOW!

I don't remember anyone mentioning Walter Hill 2005 recut of The Warriors to look like a comic book movie.

I would have watched it sooner.

For some reason, I always avoided this one. I practically saw all of Hill's movies too (including Johnny Handsome.) lol

Tom Hardy on the First Season of ‘Taboo’ & Creating James Delaney

taboo-poster-slice-600x200.jpg

While at the FX portion of the TCA Press Tour, Collider got the opportunity to speak with actor/series executive producer Tom Hardy.

What do you find so fascinating about James Delaney?

HARDY: There’s a mythology to him. It’s about trying to find a character in a real world situation, who can also be a fantasy character, as well. He stands as a metaphor for change, but is also a very complex and varied character, who has equal parts dark and light. He’s somebody who’s capable of doing something pretty dark, but has a noble and ethical quality to him, as well. He’s a fantastical character.

When you came up with this concept, did you have those ideas about Delaney, right away?

HARDY: Yeah, I knew who Delaney was nine years ago. We just didn’t have a story.

Did you have any idea just how interesting and layered this character would ultimately turn out to be? Were you involved with the development, along the way?

HARDY: All the way through, yeah. Absolutely, I was part of that whole process. We were shooting on the floor, and we were casting and interviewing directors to find the right people to collaborate with. It was really important that there were no leaders. It was a collaboration, in the truest sense. We needed the -script. We needed to bring in talent that wanted to be passion about the project, so that the head of each department had a full say in what Taboo was going to look like and feel like. It was driven by the tonality of the scripts, but those were considered over a couple of years, between the writers’ room, Steve and Chips [Hardy] and I. There’s nothing in Taboo that I wasn’t part of, but I couldn’t really tell you what my job description was. I’m just a witness, I guess, but I witnessed quite a bit. I couldn’t tell you that any of the ideas were mine, but I was keeping track of the ideas that I thought were the best. I would say, “I think we should hang onto that one,” and encouraged everyone who had a better idea to speak up and put it in. That was a really wonderful experience.

How do you like working in television vs. film?

HARDY: I love television, theater, film, radio. I love it all. A goldfish grows to the size of his bowl. I love all mediums of storytelling.

Do you have any preference for genre?

HARDY: No preference. I’m pretty much into anything. I just love working.

I wonder if this means we could potentially see more of Hardy on TV.

For anyone looking to convert their superhero movie/TV show library over to digital, I just learned about a new VUDU service.

As long as you have a phone or tablet that allows for GPS so they can confirm your location and has the VUDU app installed, you can add digital copies of your movies to your VUDU account. All you have to do is scan the UPC off the back of the movie/TV show case. DVD to SD is $2, DVD to HDX is $5, and Blu-Ray to HDX is $2. But the cool promotion right now is the first scan is for free. Even if you are jumping a DVD scan from SD to HDX.

I just added Batman: Year One digital HDX to my library. The only thing I see not included is the added features - including the Catwoman short.

Injustice 2 releases today.  For those who don't know it is basically Mortal Kombat except with DC comic characters (the same company makes both games).

So far I absolutely love it.  Probably the best fighting game out right now (even above Street Fighter V).

9/10.  I would give it 9.5/10 if it wasn't for the dlc and in game money gouging (but that's more of an industry trend than anything else).

***Tip...Black Adam is an absolute powerhouse

Kevin Feige says R-Rated MCU movie is "not out of the question"

venom-marvel-r-rated.jpg

Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige was recently asked by AlloCine about the prospect of seeing such an R-rated movie come out of their shared universe, and to that Feige answered it’s a tilting, if not immediately actionable, idea:

"I don’t think it’s out of the question. When I started at Marvel seventeen years ago, the BLADE franchise was doing very well. A lot of people didn’t even know that it was based on a Marvel character because at the time they sort of hid the fact it was Marvel. So, not out of the question, but not something we’re working on right now."

Though Marvel movies are strictly PG-13 affair right now, the studio is no stranger to adult content. Their series of Netflix shows – like DAREDEVIL and JESSICA JONES – are suitably violent, sexual and foul-mouthed. However, as of now those characters are staying in their own realm, with no in-place plans to have the movies and shows crossover. Given the final part of the quote, it could be years before we see Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) ripping anyone apart or Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) calling someone an “.” That also includes the upcoming VENOM movie from Sony, which will have no ties to the MCU despite Spider-Man being shared between the studios:

"For now, there is no plan for Venom in the MCU. It’s a Sony Project."

I feel like I’m in the minority when I say I think Marvel needs to be the one studio that keeps their movies away from the world of “R.”

TANK GIRL And DOCTOR WHO Director Rachel Talalay Says She Has A "Strong Vision" For A SHE-HULK Movie

151834.jpg

During an interview with Vice, Rachel Talalay explains why Walters is the Marvel superhero she'd be most interested in adapting for the screen, and outlines her "strong vision" for the character:

“The difference between She-Hulk and Hulk is that she loved being She-Hulk. She was the Tank Girl of earlier days in terms of being able to say what she wanted, and when she became She-Hulk, it was like an opening of the door to freedom, to be the person that you wish you could be. That you’re stopped from being as a woman. And that’s the version of She-Hulk that I would love to embrace.”

Talalay is definitely no stranger to the genre, having not only helmed Tank Girl back in the day but more recently episodes of The Flash, Supergirl, and Legends of Tomorrow. She was also rumored to be on the shortlist to direct Captain Marvel, but tells Vice she was never actually in the running.

I was wondering if 'Mindhunter' was based on the FBI agent that was part of the serial killer profiling division that later published a book.

Mindhunter is an American television drama series slated to debut on October 13, 2017 on Netflix. It is based on the book Mind Hunter: Inside FBI’s Elite Serial Crime Unit written by Mark Olshaker and John E. Douglas. It has already been renewed for a second season.

The series will be set in 1979 and will revolve around two FBI agents, played by Jonathan Groff and Holt McCallany, who interview imprisoned serial killers in order to understand how such criminals think, and apply it to solving ongoing cases.

John E. Douglas was the role model for the character Jack Crawford in the movies 'Mindhunter' and 'Silence of the Lambs'.

Angelina Jolie Gives Update on 'Maleficent 2'

Maleficent fans rejoice! Angelina Jolie is reprising her role as one of Disney's most famous villains in Maleficent 2.

It was previously confirmed that the Disney sequel was entering pre-production with Jez Butterworth coming on board to rewrite the -script. Now, Jolie has confirmed that she is on board for the sequel as well.

Jolie, who is currently at Telluride Film Festival supporting her directorial efforts with First They Killed My Father, told Deadline that it was time for her to return to acting.

"I am now the breadwinner for the family so it's time," Jolie said.

2014's Maleficent was a box office hit for Disney, grossing $758 million worldwide and plans for the sequel were announced in 2015. While there were rumors that the actress might be taking on Bride of Frankenstein instead of returning to the Sleeping Beauty villainess, Jolie confirmed that she is already hard at work on Maleficent 2.

"We have been working on the -script and this is going to be a really strong sequel," Jolie said.

:news:

If you happen across this film at Redbox or Netflix - or anywhere else - and then check Rotten Tomatoes and see it received a 92% critic like overall...

17545159_1532298860113508_24376323929480

...RUN AWAY!

:fear:

I made the mistake of checking RT first versus reading reviews from actual fellow viewers. If I had been thinking straight, I would have checked what Redbox viewers had noted, and not been surprised by the mass 1 and 2 star ratings out of 5. There is one scene where the camera focuses on the lead actress eating pie as she cries over the death of someone she loved for 4 minutes while the ghost stands there, watching. FOUR MINUTES!!

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

If you happen across this film at Redbox or Netflix - or anywhere else - and then check Rotten Tomatoes and see it received a 92% critic like overall...

17545159_1532298860113508_24376323929480

...RUN AWAY!

:fear:

I made the mistake of checking RT first versus reading reviews from actual fellow viewers. If I had been thinking straight, I would have checked what Redbox viewers had noted, and not been surprised by the mass 1 and 2 star ratings out of 5. There is one scene where the camera focuses on the lead actress eating pie as she cries over the death of someone she loved for 4 minutes while the ghost stands there, watching. FOUR MINUTES!!

I've heard good things on this so this view is not expected.  Those that appreciated Mother! probably would like it more.  I've heard terrible things about Dunst's new Woodshock with people having no idea what it's about after seeing it.

15 minutes ago, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

I've heard good things on this so this view is not expected.  Those that appreciated Mother! probably would like it more.  I've heard terrible things about Dunst's new Woodshock with people having no idea what it's about after seeing it.

I really wanted to like it, as did my wife. We looked at each during some of the scenes like 'WTH was the director thinking' such as the 4 minute pie-eating scene. And quite a few Redbox reviewers felt the same way.

I read a few reviews that gave it 4 stars. They were noted as 'best comedy - EVER!"

On 10/8/2017 at 11:50 AM, 50 Cent #II (1st) said:

I bought it. I've been watching a lot "haunted" stuff lately with deeper meanings about one's existence in the world. It might click, who knows. Watching The Beguiled remake tonight though.

Personally, I love Sofia Coppola movies.

5a73ff382753be2bfdd829a9c9c89949.jpg.e6b98843f02742801b86242f8fe01d8c.jpg

Not really "acted" ones, but her direction is top notch.

004-the-virgin-suicides-theredlist.thumb.jpg.50ab126658328d590503de8c80af1e9f.jpg

I totally see her being one of the greats down the road, if not now.

She had a great Time magazine article on the body of her work this summer.

Sofia-Coppola.jpg.f304a603c910704a0b981986157c5f2a.jpg

The Virgin Suicides is in my top 20 movies of all time.

MV5BMTIwMzE2OTM0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDIwMDk4._V1_.jpg.57a7a1892bd6420fb1f11db99fe05f73.jpg

It still haunts me to this day.

the_virgin_suicides_10.thumb.png.11674f9ee2fee49d663bd39aa341aa97.png

4bf0903ece659ad67600bd90d78d7ba8-the-virgin-suicides.thumb.jpg.a877f5fe6858f2232ca958fd30467f82.jpg

So, I'm always surprised when someone doesn't bring up one of her upcoming projects like the remake of the 1973 classic "The Beguiled."

The_Beguiled_(2017_film).png.00370eda9577ee223d9a6daa616fa0dd.png

4.thumb.jpg.aea49be01154b6e764d2bb8d488fa703.jpg

screen-shot-2017-02-08-at-10-44-43-am.png.099b151df30437598df164ed9619ad47.png

Besides casting remake king Colin Farrell in it, she brings back some of her co-stars from previous movies as everyone seems to enjoy working with her.

sofia-coppola-kirsten-dunst-marie-antoinette-1108x0-c-default.thumb.jpg.4873b1a7dbc5bbad576cc16a0201b308.jpg

284874_600.jpg.643dd30c026bcbe982cea1ee7b165054.jpg

I just thought I would point it out, by this one time ingenue,

haunt6.jpg.dcff37378bf9b843d78bc0e9f5b84384.jpg

...now gifted filmmaker.

1120562.jpg