• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another Top 10 list for 2014 posted by Comix4Sale

9 posts in this topic

Darn you Bagofleas, now I feel compelled to write one.

This is a difficult list as the last two years seem to blur together. In January of 2013 I got back into comics after a 10 year hiatus. I have never felt as youthful.

I've made some great friends at the cons along the way and that would have been my #1 item of a 2013 list.

10 - Crisis on Infinite Earths #7 CGC SS 9.8 (George Perez). The death of Supergirl cover is a classic. Honorable mention to CGC SS #8 which saw the heroic death of Barry Allen.

9 - Fifteen different Superman and Man of Steel issues in CGC SS 9.8 signed by Dan Jurgens and Louise Simonson respectively. Others broke the rules with multiples in a single listing so I will continue with the anarchy :) I also have a number of Jerry Ordway signed issues at CGC now.

8 - Fifteen different X-Factors issues from #1-39 in CGC SS 9.8 signed by Walt and Louise Simonson.

7 - Sandman Overture #1 blank cover with interconnected Sandman and Death sketches by Serena Guerra (Mouse Guard colorist) at NYCC 2014.

6 - Batman: Dark Knight of the Round Table #1 and 2 CGC SS 9.8 (Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez). I own an original art page from #2 where Bruce in armor lays the sword Excalibur on Arthur's chest at his funeral.

5 - Dreamwalker #0 CGC SS 9.8 (Eric Powell - 1st Goon appearance). I submitted this at Baltimore Comic Con 2014. I originally purchase this directly from the Dreamwalker creator, Jenni Gregory, when she had a table next to mine at a con back in 1999.

4 - Justice League of America #11 blank cover CGC SS 9.8 with a Black Canary pouting sketch by Kevin Maguire. I've been a big fan of his since his work on Justice League in 1987. The JL #1 from 1987 CGC SS 9.8 (Maguire, Giffen, DeMatteis) would have been my #2 in 2013 (see opening paragraph for #1).

3 - Invaders #1 blank covers CGC SS 9.8 (x3) with interconnected sketches of Human Torch, Captain America and Submariner by George Perez. Poor George... He doesn't know what I have planned for him in 2015.

2 - An original comic art watercolor by David Wenzel from the Hobbit #1 published by Eclipse in 1989. I purchased this directly from David at NYCC 2014. I was shocked that there was still a page available.

1.5 - Strangers in Paradise v2 #1 variant cover - Terry Moore was at NYCC 2014 this year so I got his signature on this cover. I had not anticipated that Jim Lee would be at the show and that Mike J, a CGC witness, would be facilitating his signature. What makes this double signature so significant is that I own the original cover art to this issue. What makes it a half grade is that the comic is at CGC going through the grading process so... BONUS... I get to list it next year too when I actually get it back.

1 - An original Joe Giella Batman and Riddler painting. Joe generously donated this made for charity piece to support a Long Island, NY children's charity for Grasshopper's Comics annual charity raffle (www.JTCF.org). It is like Make-a-Wish for Long Island kids. I was absolutely stunned when my name was called for the first pick. Next year I pledge to pay it forward with a larger donation and to contribute some CGC books to the raffle to support this worthy cause.

All artwork and sketch covers mentioned above are featured in my Comic Art Fan gallery (linked below). Stop by and leave a comment if you wish.

Have a Happy New Year!

James

See more journals by Comix4Sale

Thanks Griff. I guess that would be #11 on my list. Another shocker that it was available from Garcia-Lopez' agent, Spenser Beck, at NYCC 2014. I even got the signature and a photo with Jose at the con.

I have a lot to be thankful for this year.

James

Just thought of #12, although I think I would make this #1-A and bump the others down the list. Did anyone call "No Backsies?"

I met the late Stan Goldberg on Free Comic Book Day 2014 at Grasshopper's Comics. He drew a sketch for me of Veronica that extended my Betty #94 original art cover off the page.

RIP Stan - you made countless children (and many adults) happy with your art.

James

I would say that I'm sorry for compelling you to do a top ten list, James, but I'm glad you did!!

Very cool!!! I love the original art!!! I have a few pieces myself, but nothing on a par with what you have going on there! Very, very niiiice!

Here's to hoping that 2015 brings all of us more of what we love, as well as more time with each other, and hopefully more memories to share!

Thanks BOF. I'm looking forward to the 2015 convention season already and hanging with you, Tnerb, Garlanda and non-boardie guy (sorry for forgetting his name (shrug) ) who we met in Baltimore and the new friends we will meet along the way.

James

Thanks Surfer. If framing wasn't so expensive I'd have more art on the walls instead of in a portfolio.

That's a great X-Men:Hidden Years set. I love the concept of this and you have some really nice books.

James