• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess which comic is a Rare and desirable 1956 DC key #1 ?

115 posts in this topic

Not sure what the OP's motives are in the thread, but as probably the closest thing to a Sugar and Spike collector in this thread I can say that if the same book he is talking about came up for auction again, it may get closer to 5K, but not more I suspect.

It is a rare book, but it's not my grail. I don't expect to ever get a complete run, but do expect to get more issues than I have. Many of the first 30 issues have way cooler covers than the 1.

A number 2 is just as scarce and a 8.0 graded copy sold for about 1K in the last year. I didn't even bid. Don't get me wrong, I would, but I was buying a lot of very nice Don and Maggies last year, and I preferred to buy the later issues and some of the very hard to find middle issues numbers.

S and S is a very cool title, there isn't anything like it, I love the books and think SM was a comic book genius. SaS 1 is a cool book, but here is the key, most SaS collectors want affordable copies, not the best copy. That however doesn't apply to me, a 7.0 would be my minimum copy, but I am not going to break the bank for one either.

Sheer comic and artistic brilliance.

All your posted covers are awesome. I have in particular loved the #23 cover for a long time.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Me too ! I want a #23 ! man that is a unique and masterful cover !!!

Edited by 1950's war comics

When Art Spiegelman was working on his treasury of children's comics, he told me he considered there to be four kings of American humor comics and one was Mayer, so yeah, very well regarded.

OTOH, Mark Evanier listed Fox and the Crow as his favorite series of all time (high praise considering the source) so let's not disparage that one!

When Art Spiegelman was working on his treasury of children's comics, he told me he considered there to be four kings of American humor comics and one was Mayer, so yeah, very well regarded.

OTOH, Mark Evanier listed Fox and the Crow as his favorite series of all time (high praise considering the source) so let's not disparage that one!

I personally would never disparage Fox and Crow, but I don't think they are collected as much as SaS.

Here is a little mini set of books I have been collecting with Fox and Crow:

cc47.jpg

cc49.jpg

cc51.jpg

cc52.jpg

cc53.jpg

cc54.jpg

cc56.jpg

cc58.jpg

cc60.jpg

cc63.jpg

I personally would never disparage Fox and Crow, but I don't think they are collected as much as SaS.

Here is a little mini set of books I have been collecting with Fox and Crow:

cc47.jpg

cc49.jpg

cc51.jpg

cc52.jpg

cc53.jpg

cc54.jpg

cc56.jpg

cc58.jpg

cc60.jpg

cc63.jpg

UNBEFREAKINLIEVABLY IMFREAKINPOSSIBLE!

jawdrop_zpsabcb8082.gifjawdrop_zpsabcb8082.gifjawdrop_zpsabcb8082.gifjawdrop_zpsabcb8082.gifjawdrop_zpsabcb8082.gifjawdrop_zpsabcb8082.gifjawdrop_zpsabcb8082.gifjawdrop_zpsabcb8082.gifjawdrop_zpsabcb8082.gifjawdrop_zpsabcb8082.gifjawdrop_zpsabcb8082.gifjawdrop_zpsabcb8082.gif

I love Fox and the Crow!

Wish I could get my hands on a few nice copies!

Happy new years ! and I shouldn't have dismissed Fox and Crow so quickly, sounds like they might have a devoted following too although nothing like the

Suga N Spike following !!

Don't worry I will not get into bidding wars in the foreseeable future for S&S as I am a 1950's war collector but maybe when that phase is over I will lol!!

A number 2 is just as scarce and a 8.0 graded copy sold for about 1K in the last year. I didn't even bid. Don't get me wrong, I would, but I was buying a lot of very nice Don and Maggies last year, and I preferred to buy the later issues and some of the very hard to find middle issues numbers.

You are a wise man. Veteran collectors such as yourself know that #2 issues are typically harder to find than #1 issues because the #2 issues have not been hoarded to the same extent, and that the best values taking both price and scarcity into consideration are the middle issues from later in the run.

Here are some issues I really like that I have:

sas16.jpg

sas23.jpg

sas26.jpg

sas37.jpg

sas38.jpg

sas40.jpg

sas44.jpg

sas46.jpg

Those are all things of beauty!

(thumbs u

Edited by Hepcat

My views are basically in accordance with those of Mark. There's more to comics than just superheroes.

Here are scans of the oldest Fox and the Crow comics in my collection:

Shock20001_zpsccd341ac.jpg

FoxCrow54.jpg

FoxCrow65.jpg

FoxCrow82.jpg

12-07-2011105344PM.jpg

I think they're even tougher to find in high grade than are the Sugar and Spike comics quite simply because Sheldon Mayer has been drawing accolades in comic fandom for decades which has resulted in more Sugar and Spike comics being collected, i.e. saved, than Fox and the Crow comics. Whatever few collectors appreciate tends to be very hard to find.

:preach:

I love Fox and the Crow! Wish I could get my hands on a few nice copies!

:o

No, no, they're absolute junk! Just leave them to me ... please!

Right...next are you going to go out & tell us to buy Fox & Crow 1?

fox and who?????????????????? zero demand.. DREK !!!

Truth! Oh, you wouldn't have a bunch you'd like me to take off your hands to clear out some valuable storage space now would you?

:devil:

Edited by Hepcat