• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess which comic is a Rare and desirable 1956 DC key #1 ?

115 posts in this topic

I think Hepcat has a bunch of nice ones.

What doesn't Hepcat have...?

Sugar and Spikes lol

I scrupulously adhere to our longstanding gentlemen's agreement. Sugar and Spikes (and Superboys from the fifties) are all yours, while Fox and the Crows and Bob Brown Challengers are all mine!

;)

Edited by Hepcat

This thread has me thinking about "kiddie" comics. Nearly everybody not singularly focused on superhero books recognizes the genius of Barks' Duck books and Stanley's Little Lulu, and perhaps to a slightly lesser degree Mayer's Sugar and Spike, but it seems there are plenty of lesser known faves out there. I can't recall reading any Fox and Crow, though I recall liking Stanley and his Monster as a kid, so I'm sure I read the F&C stories in some of those issues.

What are some other favorite, perhaps B list, funny animal and little kid comics that boardies enjoy?

Not 50s, but for awhile I was going for a slabbed run of mutt & Jeff 1-30.

I got 18 of them before selling. 1's common, but 2-4 are evil to find. Heritage sold a raw 2 last weekend - only the third copy I'd seen for sale ever.

This thread has me thinking about "kiddie" comics. Nearly everybody not singularly focused on superhero books recognizes the genius of Barks' Duck books and Stanley's Little Lulu, and perhaps to a slightly lesser degree Mayer's Sugar and Spike, but it seems there are plenty of lesser known faves out there. I can't recall reading any Fox and Crow, though I recall liking Stanley and his Monster as a kid, so I'm sure I read the F&C stories in some of those issues.

What are some other favorite, perhaps B list, funny animal and little kid comics that boardies enjoy?

There are so many, and they are so great. Little kid comics, humor, funny animal, teen humor, etc.

Little Dot

Little Lotta

Little Lulu

Richie Rich

Casper

Hot Stuff

Li'l Abner

Blondie

Archie (of course)

Mutt and Jeff

Katzenjammer Kids

(and tons of awesome funny animal ones too)

just off the top of my head.

There are so many, and they are so great. Little kid comics, humor, funny animal, teen humor, etc.

Little Dot

Little Lotta

Little Lulu

Richie Rich

Casper

Hot Stuff

Li'l Abner

Blondie

Archie (of course)

Mutt and Jeff

Katzenjammer Kids

Thanks for your input.

I tend to think of teen humor as not really "kiddie comics" though obviously little kids read them, but the amount of GGA and dating scenarios in the heyday of these books makes me think the target audience was out of elementary school. I was thinking more of books squarely aimed at pre-adolescents, yet written well enough to appeal to all ages.

Like many collectors my age, I cut my comic teeth on Harvey humor, but have to say beyond a nostalgic appreciation for the clean "house style" and the wordless gags on many of the SA covers, they didn't hold up for me when I bought a few readers to share with my daughters, and they didn't respond with the same enthusiasm they had for Scrooge and Lulu.

So was Stanley and his Monster any good, or was it just that as a 9 year old the idea of a pet monster was incredibly appealing?

Little Dot

Little Lotta

Little Lulu

Richie Rich

Casper

Hot Stuff

Li'l Abner

Blondie

Archie (of course)

Mutt and Jeff

Katzenjammer Kids

Don't forget Melvin Monster by John Stanley. It's one of the funniest things I've ever read from ANY era in comics. Stanley was at his apex with this series. Worth searching out the Fantagraphics HCs. I think there are 3 of them. I love them, the kids in my class are in virtual tears when they read them. My own kids love 'em. Hilarious!

I also really like the DC Rudolphs. Great (if sporadic) series!

I had a beat-but-complete Fair copy of Sugar & Spike #1 that I thought was overpriced when I bought it but I didn't know when I would find another. Eventually I upgraded to a VG+ (which was not cheap). That was years ago and I believe I've seen another copy at SDCC since then. I don't really know how strong the demand is but I think all the low numbers are pretty uncommon.

I had a beat-but-complete Fair copy of Sugar & Spike #1 that I thought was overpriced when I bought it but I didn't know when I would find another. Eventually I upgraded to a VG+ (which was not cheap). That was years ago and I believe I've seen another copy at SDCC since then. I don't really know how strong the demand is but I think all the low numbers are pretty uncommon.

I, for one, would like to see that S&S #1, Peter!

I think I posted it on the boards somewhere before but here it is again. Nothing fancy, but a solid copy.

SugarandSpike1.jpg

Thats a solid copy! (thumbs u

+1

Way cool, Peter! Might qualify as one of the top-100 rarest comics in your collection. hm

I think I posted it on the boards somewhere before but here it is again. Nothing fancy, but a solid copy.

SugarandSpike1.jpg

don't be so modest about your sugar n spike #1 that is a great copy !!!!

It's always special to see this book- especially in such nice condition.