• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you know when a Marvel GN is 1st print?

10 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Does anyone know how to tell when an early Marvel graphic novel is a 1st print? I am eyeballing a really nice copy of the Dreadstar GN, but I've been told that there is no real way to determine the printing with the early Marvel GN's.

Thanks.

You mean the original numbered series of Marvel gn's are cheap?

The numbered series gn's were reprinted four or five times, and they folks at Marvel were pretty fast and loose with indicating the print run. I was hoping maybe somebody had some insight into whether the barcode indicated the print run.

Yeah. I think all of the numbered Marvel graphic novels were basically one-shots; the Dazzler and New Mutants graphic novels come to mind.

You don't happen to know if the barcode (if there was one) would indicate the print run on those books, do you?

Hey all,

Does anyone know how to tell when an early Marvel graphic novel is a 1st print? I am eyeballing a really nice copy of the Dreadstar GN, but I've been told that there is no real way to determine the printing with the early Marvel GN's.

Thanks.

For #1-5...maybe more...the first prints have a single price....$4.95 or $5.95. If it has an additional Canada price, it's a later printing. If it has a price higher than $5.95 (which was a flat TON when standard books were only 60 cents!), it's not a first print.

Some of the later printings ARE marked, you just have to look.

Also, look for the Printer's Key...this is the 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 you see on many books. The first printing will start at 1..a 3rd printing will have 3 as the lowest number. If you don't see a 1, it's not a first printing.

Confusing, but not insurmountable.

BE CAREFUL!!! CGC has slabbed several later printings, and not noted them as such!

Ok...good to know.

Yeah, I had heard that this practice was more common in the 70's and 80's with most books, but I didn't know if Marvel necessarily adhered to those rules with the early graphic novels.

Thanks again.