• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Emotionally Stimulating Modern Series List

84 posts in this topic

One that I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but Pride of Baghdad was also really good. It's another BKV thing. Was done in OGN format.

Apparently I'm a sucker for books with animals as the main characters.

LUCIFER is a well thought out series with quite a few "WTF?" moments that really get you. It's actually better on subsequent reads because you can spot the seeds Mike Carey plants early to be harvested later on. This series also contains one of my favorite self contained one and done stories in LUCIFER 33 :cloud9:

So what did you think about I Kill Giants?

I can't think of anything else on that level. The Essex County Trilogy was emotionally stimulating for me as well, but only when read as a whole.

For me personally I Kill Giants ranks among one of the most moving series I've read. Extremely powerful in such a short series.

One that I don't know if it was mentioned yet, but Pride of Baghdad was also really good. It's another BKV thing. Was done in OGN format.

Pretty much any BKV work I've read has grabbed me in some way. I really want to check out his Swamp Thing work but know he's up against some phenomenal ST work from the past.

I agree, when animals are involved it does tend to hit me a bit more than usual. Although I felt WE 3 missed the mark (It may just not have been for me though) you may want to check it out if you haven't. Every employee at my LCS said it pushed them to borderline tears.

Pretty much any BKV work I've read has grabbed me in some way. I really want to check out his Swamp Thing work but know he's up against some phenomenal ST work from the past.

I agree, when animals are involved it does tend to hit me a bit more than usual. Although I felt WE 3 missed the mark (It may just not have been for me though) you may want to check it out if you haven't. Every employee at my LCS said it pushed them to borderline tears.

I've mentioned this in other threads, but one often overlooked BKV comic is THE ESCAPISTS. A four-issue mini from Dark Horse about 10 years ago. Readily available now in trade. Excellent read!

There's a lot of good suggestions here. I'm going to have to check out 'I Kill Giants.' No one's mentioned it, but I thought Maus was one of the most moving comics I've read. I'd also put Miller's Ronin right up there.

Transmetropolitan had it's moment of emotion. At it's heart it was a fun ride but there were a few moments that pulled at the heart strings.

If you want to read a love story to a city read Charles Soules Graphic Novel Strange Attractors. I can never say enough about how good this book is.

:news:

The first post of the thread has been updated. Please note that the second list will not stay. If you feel a series mentioned on it is deserving to be cast in stone among the most reccomended list just post a list for voting purposes. I see a few but am trying not to be bias lol. The list will act as nothing more than a quick cheat sheet of highly recommended series. I would really like to compile a list that is of the greatest series of modern times.

If you want a fun mainstream read and like seeing long held characters torn down a bit, check out the Sins of the Past arc in ASM #508-515. It is great fun if you are not a diehard Spidey fanboy. (thumbs u

:o

I apologize to the OP, but I have to state this: that was not only – or simply – bad writing, but utter idiocy (even bringing back N. Osborn alone). To state that this is a good story "if you are not a diehard Spidey fanboy" is an insult to writers which developed the characters for decades, and also to generations of readers which grow up loving and nurturing its values.

And Straczynski should be ashamed to have accepted whatever request Marvel made to him to produce this shameful stupid thing.

This also produced absurd and unlikely side effects, like having stories written by good writers (Roger Stern) featuring Norman Osborn, and all that came afterwards.

I like BKV and all, but 50% of the top list seems a bit much. Especially considering PRIDE OF BAHGDAD is a GN. And not a single Ennis story?

I think I'm gonna have to make my own list :foryou:

No doubt it's BKV heavy. I'm a huge BKV fan but originally set out to find other recommendations. Please feel free to make a few suggestions, as of now the list is made up of other people's feedback. I'd love to add a few on the list even for my own personal read pile.

I like BKV and all, but 50% of the top list seems a bit much. Especially considering PRIDE OF BAHGDAD is a GN. And not a single Ennis story?

I recommended an OGN too but I don't think anyone else recommended that same one so it didn't get listed. I'm not sure what the rules here are, but it's all good.

I do agree with you on the Ennis front and on how BKV heavy it is, but damn it, he is that good.

I recommended an OGN too but I don't think anyone else recommended that same one so it didn't get listed. I'm not sure what the rules here are, but it's all good.

I do agree with you on the Ennis front and on how BKV heavy it is, but damn it, he is that good.

My apologies Square. I must have missed it late last night. I'll update it. No rules on my end, I just enjoy all the suggestions for future reads.