• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

On 1/4/2015 at 2:38 PM, Robot Man said:

Hi Gang. My name is Robot Man and I am obsessed with junk! I have lurked on these boards for a while now and thought I'd sign up for the fun.

I have been collecting since the early '60's. I first bought Batman and DC war comics off the stands in the late '50's. When Marvel comics first came out I started buying them as well. I wouldn't say I "collected" them at this time but searched out and bought them every month as they came out.

I remember my Grandpa buying me MAD #72. I read it to bits and when #73 came out I bought it as well. This has continued until this day. I would trade with kids in the neighborhood for any earlier issues I didn't have. What turned me into a "collector" was the day my dad took me to Cherokee books in Hollywood. There, thumbtacked to the wall in a bag was MAD #9. It looked so different but I had to have it. I gave Bert Blum $2.00 for it. This was the only time I ever paid more than cover price for a comic. I was hooked and made many trips with my dad to Cherokee, Collector's Book Store and Bond Street Books around the corner adding to my ever growing stash.

I hit all the used book stores I could ride my bike to. When I could drive, I started hitting a bigger area as well as garage sales and flea markets like the Rose Bowl grabbing all the old comics I could find. I especially loved the EC line and old pre-code horror comics. One day at the Rose Bowl I spotted a big tin battery opperated robot. The price was right and I just couldn't put down that cool blank stared face. So in addition to comics I found myself looking for old space and comic character toys, pinback buttons and premiums. The rest as they say is history... So now I live in a house full of comics, toys, premiums, advertising stuff rock 'n roll items and other symbols of "Americana".

As you can see my collection is very diverse and my interests are wide. I see many of what you have collected and share your love for this stuff. Hopefully, I can use this thread to share some my stuff and experience in the hobby. I enjoy the "thrill of the hunt" the most in collecting. I am not really a condition freak although over the years I've found my share of high grade stuff. A lot of my stuff might be in lower grade than what I see here, but I get what I can get and love to find unusual or scarce items. I will happily take a lower grade book than not have it all.

I might be a newbie to the boards, but am a veteran collector. Please be patient with me as I get started and hopefully we can all have a little fun!

I'm going to try and post my first photo of a few of my favorite comics. If it goes OK, I'll post more later

On 1/4/2015 at 2:38 PM, Robot Man said:

Hi Gang. My name is Robot Man and I am obsessed with junk! I have lurked on these boards for a while now and thought I'd sign up for the fun.

I have been collecting since the early '60's. I first bought Batman and DC war comics off the stands in the late '50's. When Marvel comics first came out I started buying them as well. I wouldn't say I "collected" them at this time but searched out and bought them every month as they came out.

I remember my Grandpa buying me MAD #72. I read it to bits and when #73 came out I bought it as well. This has continued until this day. I would trade with kids in the neighborhood for any earlier issues I didn't have. What turned me into a "collector" was the day my dad took me to Cherokee books in Hollywood. There, thumbtacked to the wall in a bag was MAD #9. It looked so different but I had to have it. I gave Bert Blum $2.00 for it. This was the only time I ever paid more than cover price for a comic. I was hooked and made many trips with my dad to Cherokee, Collector's Book Store and Bond Street Books around the corner adding to my ever growing stash.

I hit all the used book stores I could ride my bike to. When I could drive, I started hitting a bigger area as well as garage sales and flea markets like the Rose Bowl grabbing all the old comics I could find. I especially loved the EC line and old pre-code horror comics. One day at the Rose Bowl I spotted a big tin battery opperated robot. The price was right and I just couldn't put down that cool blank stared face. So in addition to comics I found myself looking for old space and comic character toys, pinback buttons and premiums. The rest as they say is history... So now I live in a house full of comics, toys, premiums, advertising stuff rock 'n roll items and other symbols of "Americana".

As you can see my collection is very diverse and my interests are wide. I see many of what you have collected and share your love for this stuff. Hopefully, I can use this thread to share some my stuff and experience in the hobby. I enjoy the "thrill of the hunt" the most in collecting. I am not really a condition freak although over the years I've found my share of high grade stuff. A lot of my stuff might be in lower grade than what I see here, but I get what I can get and love to find unusual or scarce items. I will happily take a lower grade book than not have it all.

I might be a newbie to the boards, but am a veteran collector. Please be patient with me as I get started and hopefully we can all have a little fun!

I'm going to try and post my first photo of a few of my favorite comics. If it goes OK, I'll post more later

scoopcomics1_zps4ec29db2.jpg

scoopcomics2_zpsadb1130b.jpg

Here some of my collection of Comic Book and pulp premiums. There are some time way rarer than the books themselves. (It pays to look inside your books to find all the cool clubs that you might not knew existed).

comicbookpremiums_zpsd424f76f.jpg

Some of my MAD Magazine/Alfred E. Neuman stuff. How many of you knew Alfred was around long before MAD adopted him? The earliest item I have is an 1896 dental callendar and glass paperweight (only one I've ever seen).

madstuff_zps3bf9e1a2.jpg

A very pair of items that I thought would display well.

brogershelmet1_zps37c71c13.jpg

One of my favorite pieces that I traded for many moons ago. And yes, the autographs are real. I schlepped this to a couple early San Diego Cons at the El Cortez to get these two gentlemen to sign it. They were both pretty blown away when I walked up with it!

supermanpuzzle_zps77558a5c.jpg

More old comic character, advertising, sports and political pinback buttons. These are way cool and usually pretty hard to find. You can have tons of them in a very small amount of space.

pinbacks_zps7144ba7f.jpg

And finally another cool flea market score. A 1950's wooden Dell comics store rack. One of several old comic racks I've turned up over the years. I switch it up all the time. I just had it full of Christmas comics. My non-collection friends always find it fun.

dellcomicrack_zps75f0f72a.jpg

Bob

Here some of my collection of Comic Book and pulp premiums. There are some time way rarer than the books themselves. (It pays to look inside your books to find all the cool clubs that you might not knew existed).

comicbookpremiums_zpsd424f76f.jpg

Some of my MAD Magazine/Alfred E. Neuman stuff. How many of you knew Alfred was around long before MAD adopted him? The earliest item I have is an 1896 dental callendar and glass paperweight (only one I've ever seen).

madstuff_zps3bf9e1a2.jpg

A very pair of items that I thought would display well.

brogershelmet1_zps37c71c13.jpg

One of my favorite pieces that I traded for many moons ago. And yes, the autographs are real. I schlepped this to a couple early San Diego Cons at the El Cortez to get these two gentlemen to sign it. They were both pretty blown away when I walked up with it!

supermanpuzzle_zps77558a5c.jpg

More old comic character, advertising, sports and political pinback buttons. These are way cool and usually pretty hard to find. You can have tons of them in a very small amount of space.

pinbacks_zps7144ba7f.jpg

And finally another cool flea market score. A 1950's wooden Dell comics store rack. One of several old comic racks I've turned up over the years. I switch it up all the time. I just had it full of Christmas comics. My non-collection friends always find it fun.

dellcomicrack_zps75f0f72a.jpg

Bob

comicbooks.jpg

Well gang, it appears that this thread after 225 pages is now toast thanks to Photophuckit... I tried to to go into the first page and direct post my original photos but all I can seem to do is "quote" it and the first page now appears here. There doesn't appear to be any way to edit my first page. I was hoping I could delete my original photos and direct post them but this does not seem to be an option. I had trouble with the "new boards" but was able to salvage it. This time it looks hopeless. Any suggestions?

I guess, I could just let this thread die and start a new one but I would lose all it's history and it really doesn't seem worth the work.

I can just sit tight and hope Photophuckit comes to it's senses but ain't no way I am paying them $400...

44 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Well gang, it appears that this thread after 225 pages is now toast thanks to Photophuckit... I tried to to go into the first page and direct post my original photos but all I can seem to do is "quote" it and the first page now appears here. There doesn't appear to be any way to edit my first page. I was hoping I could delete my original photos and direct post them but this does not seem to be an option. I had trouble with the "new boards" but was able to salvage it. This time it looks hopeless. Any suggestions?

I guess, I could just let this thread die and start a new one but I would lose all it's history and it really doesn't seem worth the work.

I can just sit tight and hope Photophuckit comes to it's senses but ain't no way I am paying them $400...

I had misread their announcement to indicate that they were grandfathering current paid subscriptions through Dec 31 of this year.  But Greggy pointed out in another thread that's it actually through Dec 31 of 2018.

That seems truly weird in that it will mean 18 months during which people (like me) with the basic paid subscription ($50 per year or whatever it is) being able to post to third-party sites while other people will have to pay $399.  That hardly seems sustainable to me.

As I posted in another thread, my guess is that at some point they will cut that $399 down to something more reasonable (and probably move forward the date at which people with the current barebones paid subs stop being grandfathered).

40 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Hello @Robot Man !

I saw your post about this in the PB thread, not sure if you saw my reply here:

On 06/07/2017 at 10:20 PM, Marwood & I said:

There are lots of ways to do that @Robot Man

You can hide the whole post in which the pic appears by clicking on 'options' next to quote/edit. Or you can hide a whole thread (as long as you started it) by clicking on 'Moderation Actions' under the thread title to the right. You can't unhide either though. If you want to keep part of a post you can edit it and remove the picture. 

You can edit posts by clicking on the edit button here:

Capture.PNG.d6e652e089bc169f5d9af85daac49fda.PNG

I was wondering if timing was an issue, and I just tested to confirm that I can edit a post that I made in November last year, before the boards migration. But your post is dated 2015 - perhaps that's too far back to edit? Maybe you can try that and see - if there is no time barrier, then you should be able to just delete the photobucket 'holding' picture and replace it with a direct load copy from your PC.

The best thing about the new boards is that we don't have to rely on 3rd parties anymore when posting new pictures. When I joined, I started two threads about Pence books and Font variations and had loads of photobucket images in them. One day I was messing about with PB and managed to lose the lot. So I started again, post board migration, with new threads and direct hosted pictures.

In your shoes, and if there is no PB solution on the horizon, I'd consider doing that - starting afresh. Not only would it bring your great stuff to a new audience, it would re-engage you with it and you would have the comfort of knowing the images will always be there, as long as this board is there. Freeing yourself from 3rd party reliance will stop a similar thing happening again.

I hope it resolves for you somehow - your threads are great, especially the pictures, so I've got my fingers crossed for you that it all works out.

Good luck!

Well I will say something...I read 225 pages worth of posts by Robotman and failed to see any, "junk"!!!!!!! (shrug)

Good Luck brother in this day of technical wonders we are able to share our stuff with folks from all over the world who otherwise we may never have been able to connect with. I for one have thoroughly enjoyed the heck out of this thread and hope this problem gets resolved quickly because as you stated it's been a journey of historical significance for our hobby and I would like to see it thrive as it should. ?

Regardless of what the future brings, I want to thank Bob for all of the time and effort he has put into his thread sharing his wonderful collection with us.  I have always enjoyed collecting comic memorabilia and know how rare many of the items he has shared are and have welcomed the chance to see them.  I hope that you find a way to continue your posts.

Thanks for all the kind words and advice gang. I know there are many here who enjoy this thread as much as I like putting it out there. I hope it has been a fun alternative and exposure to related comic book stuff. Luckily for these boards, it appears that most of you are unaffected by this. I am usually one of those people who figure a way around problems like this. This has really thrown me for a loop though. So much work and love just canceled by corporate greed. I still haven't decided how or if I will keep this rolling. I do know that I now have a massive amount of work reorganizing my files. It will take a lot of time that I have very little of these days. I can still post some stuff direct to other threads and hope to do so. The sad part is that almost everything I have posted so far is gone. Kinda depressing. 

Hey Bob, why not just continue posting and let Photobucket be gone! I guess I'm not as obsessive as some and was glad to read the thread from the beginning but continuing your posts without the old Photobucket posts wouldn't bother me a bit. And we would all appreciate you continuing to share your continuing unearthing of junk!

Actually, this PhotoBucket thing should be a warning to all to back up their digital media if they care about it. The vagaries of these companies, cyber attacks and the shelf life of digital data all may make our digital libraries less long lived than our old paper libraries!! 

My journal has not yet been affected yet but I assume it will eventually.  So I've decided to start a new journal with the new format.  The prospect of PB ruining my old posts (I started my old journal in 2015) is upsetting but I decided I enjoy posting here enough that I'll keep going and probably a year or so from now I'll have gotten over the PB fiasco. 

I feel your pain, RM. I had a similar experience on Flickr where I had built a library of thousands of images of comics, magazines, paperbacks, pulps, ephemera, etc. only to have their policies change over and over until the legacy I had crafted was no longer recognizable as such. Instead of a pleasing array of pics, it became a crammed-together mess of Tumblr-esque nonsense, where pages never end and images just move and pop in and out as you scroll down. Utter chaos with no white space in between. That, and everyone reposting my images ad nauseum without permission or regard for the time and effort it takes to craft such a collection convinced me that it was little worth my effort anymore. I moved a bunch of my stuff over to ipernity (no small feat!) only to find out that they are going out of business (and barely holding on by a thread last accounting). And trust me, once upon a time, I really loved finding new stuff in the wild to scan and post. Very depressing indeed...

17 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

Regardless of what the future brings, I want to thank Bob for all of the time and effort he has put into his thread sharing his wonderful collection with us.  I have always enjoyed collecting comic memorabilia and know how rare many of the items he has shared are and have welcomed the chance to see them.  I hope that you find a way to continue your posts.

+1

On 1/4/2015 at 5:56 PM, Robot Man said:

A cool group shot of some more of my "blank stare" buddies:

robots_zps5adebb87.jpg

What better thread than a Robot Man thread to show off my Robots? My 1st Robot purchase was about 9 years ago and while I don't actively search for them if I ever buy a comic collections that has toys I always wind up buying the Robots if they have any. They're just so dang cool I can't bring myself to part with them.

20190504_203413.jpg

Wow, my original thread. That is a blast from the past. You've got quite the collection going there Leroy! They are really fun huh?

For some reason, people are really drawn to Robots and Space toys. They are just timeless. I have collected a lot of things that have just lost value over the years, but comic books and space toys just keep going up.

Here are just a few of my boxed examples. They take up a lot more room to display and a lot of my boxes are put away. The graphics on some of them just beg to be shown and displayed. Enjoy!

robotpistonwithbox.jpg

robotplanetwithbox.jpg

robotmachinewithbox.jpg

robotsparkywithbox.jpg

robottv.jpg

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Wow, my original thread. That is a blast from the past. You've got quite the collection going there Leroy! They are really fun huh?

For some reason, people are really drawn to Robots and Space toys. They are just timeless. I have collected a lot of things that have just lost value over the years, but comic books and space toys just keep going up.

Here are just a few of my boxed examples. They take up a lot more room to display and a lot of my boxes are put away. The graphics on some of them just beg to be shown and displayed. Enjoy!

robotpistonwithbox.jpg

robotplanetwithbox.jpg

robotmachinewithbox.jpg

robotsparkywithbox.jpg

robottv.jpg

These are really cool! Wouldn't be a Robot Man Thread without other aspects of pop culture collectibles beyond just comics.

I recently snagged a space toy with a box I've been looking for for a while. On it's way to me now from overseas.

You must've collected this stuff in 'focused hunting cycles' I presume (Robots one year, Disney the next, tin motorcycles after, etc)?

2 hours ago, lhcomics said:

20190506_200259.thumb.jpg.5b8e661c659ea62d710771d6f1d0d3f6.jpg

Really cool items on display!! It's funny how my eye was drawn immediately to two fairly nondescript things in particular: the Crawford's Encyclopedia of Comics (second shelf from bottom) and the Johnson and Smith catalog on the shelf above that next to the Batmobile.  

Other goodies abound like the Comix reference and the Signet Batman paperbacks and more...  (thumbsu

3 hours ago, lhcomics said:

I need your Machine Robot box! I only have 2 boxes and keep them stored away. Some of my favorite oddities including the robots are on shelves in my office. 

20190506_200755.thumb.jpg.1a4e81b6ed4b11812c8d80d3017c4b2f.jpg

20190506_200259.thumb.jpg.5b8e661c659ea62d710771d6f1d0d3f6.jpg

Nice Johnny West and Geronimo :applause:

8 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Really cool items on display!! It's funny how my eye was drawn immediately to two fairly nondescript things in particular: the Crawford's Encyclopedia of Comics (second shelf from bottom) and the Johnson and Smith catalog on the shelf above that next to the Batmobile.  

Other goodies abound like the Comix reference and the Signet Batman paperbacks and more...  (thumbsu

Thanks! You have a sharp eye. All the Signet Batman books came in a collection from Oklahoma 15 years ago. The 1950 edition of Johnson Smith Novelty catalog was the go to back in the day when you didn't have Spencer Gift stores around.