• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

I have many Atlas books, with the 2.00 and 1.00 penciled in on the first page. If only I could have only paid that ...

Neat books. They would be a great addition to any personal libraries :cool:

So do I, and I did and I am pleased to have them. One of these days I ought to pull some out and photo them just for laughs...

You know, I would never do it myself but I am more than happy to buy them. Nice to sit down and read a bunch in order without the burden of bags and boards. Also, the page quality on these is just so fresh and nice.

I think the "kiss of death" to me are brittle books, moldy books or stinky books. I have books that are 3 hole punched, missing non-story pages, detached covers and centerfolds even the occasionaly bug or rat chew if it does not detract from the readability.

You know, I would never do it myself but I am more than happy to buy them. Nice to sit down and read a bunch in order without the burden of bags and boards. Also, the page quality on these is just so fresh and nice.

I think the "kiss of death" to me are brittle books, moldy books or stinky books. I have books that are 3 hole punched, missing non-story pages, detached covers and centerfolds even the occasionaly bug or rat chew if it does not detract from the readability.

Moldy books always got to me. The first Golden Age comics I owned were some Flash and Wonder Woman books that must have come out of a leaky garage and were sold for pennies at a flea market. They not only fell apart but I remember thinking how weird the Flash looked with that crazy helmet.

Your bound Duck Four Color collection is fantastic. I don't have any bound collections but I would buy them if the price was right.

Rich, that bound Phantom Blot did come up in an auction a few years back. It had suffered some kind of damage though. It still looked pretty nice though.

Not Golden Age, but a friend of mine has Captain America 100-400 in bound volumes. He would buy them in bulk and do about 20 at a time. They're really nice - they look great on a shelf.

Yesterday, I posted a couple of cool Donald Duck Four Color bound volumes I got from a friend. Today is the other two. Uncle Scrooge #1-40 in two volumes. He made me take these when I bought the other two. (not that he had to twist my arm). These are even nicer, as 2/3rds of them he bought off the stands himself and took very good care of them. Paper is very white and crisp. A great run to read all at once. He still has 5 volumes of WDCS from #1 that he is holding on to for a while but I got first right of refusal when the time is right for him.

unclescroogeboundvolume1_zpsg52wbwwj.jpg

You really got some nice volumes from him. Would you please show the Uncle Scrooge #6 cover as it might be nicer than usual in a bound volume. When the time comes if you decide not to take the WDCS volumes, let me know! Great volumes, Bob!!

Oh, I want the WDCS bound volumes especially the first one for sure. I just gotta wait until he needs some money...

I will pull out the first Scrooge volume and photo the #6 for you. He bought most of them off the stands and was a picky guy. I think the first dozen or so he bought used at Cherokee. I will see.

The problem with #6 is that it was produced with larger than usual overhangs, so they are usually trashed and high grade copies are scarce. The census shows 2 x 8.0, 1 x 7.0 and 2 x 6.5 in blue (and one of the 6.5s has been deslabbed by me). In comparison there are 19 x #5 and 26 x #7 in 8.0 or higher.

As Yellow Kid surmised, in a bound volume with the edges trimmed, it should be pretty good.

I checked my volume and the #6 was only around fine condition and was of course trimmed. I didn't bother photoing get it because It would not help with your question. I will keep an eye out for a nice copy of that issue as I run into a lot of Scrooge Dells in my travels.

The fourth Sunday is usually a little slim for flea markets out here. There are two or three small ones. Most of the time I just sleep in and try and do things a "normal" person does on Sunday. But I felt inspired today and went out. First one didn't net much a small pile of OK Bronze and more modern semi keys cheap. But the second one was the money shot.

I picked up this late 1940's/early 1950's Donald Duck advertising piece. This is about 10" round. They call these "buttons" because they are cello like regular pinback buttons just much larger. It has a cord hanger and an easel on back for display in a store. This one was un-used. The lady I got it from thought it was recent and new. Only one I've ever had. Sleep is overrated!

donaldducksoftdrinksbutton_zpsfstkoee7.jpg

Found these in the "junk box". Almost forgot I had 'em. Thought you guys would enjoy seeing them.

1962 "Fink Buttons" all with art by Basil Wolverton! This is almost a complete set I think. Just classic stuff! This photo just doesn't capture the great detail on these.

finkbuttons_zpslc2q79dz.jpg

Found these in the "junk box". Almost forgot I had 'em. Thought you guys would enjoy seeing them.

1962 "Fink Buttons" all with art by Basil Wolverton! This is almost a complete set I think. Just classic stuff! This photo just doesn't capture the great detail on these.

finkbuttons_zpslc2q79dz.jpg

Those are so cool. I knew about his "Bar Flyze" cards but not about the Fink buttons. As always, your collection is what I would consider one of the best out there.