• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you pronounce "Thanos"?

112 posts in this topic

How do you pronounce "Thanos"? (shrug)

I know how I've always read it, but I imagine with Guardians of the Galaxy (which I haven't seen yet), we probably have a definitive answer to a question probably very few people even care about.

Overhearing people at cons and in shops, I heard the name used a LOT. Especially around the time Avengers was released. Examples I've heard:

THAN-oss (rhymes with boss)

THAN-ose (rhymes with dose)

THAY-noss

THAY-nose

THAN-iss

Which is correct? Which did you say when you first read the name? :popcorn:

I know how I've always read it, but I imagine with Guardians of the Galaxy (which I haven't seen yet), we probably have a definitive answer to a question probably very few people even care about.

Overhearing people at cons and in shops, I heard the name used a LOT. Especially around the time Avengers was released. Examples I've heard:

THAY-noss

THAY-nose

THAN-iss

This is how it's pronounced in the movies, and I saw in a video that this is how

pronounces it as well. Very confusing - spent 20 years mispronouncing it myself.

THAY-noss

THAY-nose

THAN-iss

This is how it's pronounced in the movies, and I saw in a video that this is how

pronounces it as well. Very confusing - spent 20 years mispronouncing it myself.

I spent over 30 years doing the same thing. The first time I heard it pronounced, I told my bro who loves all things Starlin. He says " no way ! I think I would know how to pronounce something I've read the majority of my life ! " , and I laughed until I couldn't breathe. lol

THAY-noss

THAY-nose

THAN-iss

I'm in the THAN-oss (rhymes with boss) camp.

As its a derivative of the Greek word for death - thanatos - I would have thought its pronounced the same way.

Well, it feels good to have gotten this one right. As I've always called him Than-ose, the way the movie pronounced it.

Makes up for the fact that I spent much of my early childhood calling Namor the "Sub MARINE-er"

A sad, but true, tale. Not...you know, a fish story. lol

THAY-noss

THAY-nose

THAN-iss

I spent over 30 years doing the same thing. The first time I heard it pronounced, I told my bro who loves all things Starlin. He says " no way ! I think I would know how to pronounce something I've read the majority of my life ! " , and I laughed until I couldn't breathe. lol

Yeah, once I heard how Starlin said it, I was like: :facepalm: and he was one of my favorite characters. But, before the internet, YouTube and not going to conventions - there was no way to know for sure. I think I started this conversation awhile back in the BA section, too - where someone linked me to a Starlin video for the final say.