• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you pronounce "Thanos"?

112 posts in this topic

How do you pronounce "Thanos"? (shrug)

I know how I've always read it, but I imagine with Guardians of the Galaxy (which I haven't seen yet), we probably have a definitive answer to a question probably very few people even care about.

Overhearing people at cons and in shops, I heard the name used a LOT. Especially around the time Avengers was released. Examples I've heard:

THAN-oss (rhymes with boss)

THAN-ose (rhymes with dose)

THAY-noss

THAY-nose

THAN-iss

Which is correct? Which did you say when you first read the name? :popcorn:

I'm in the THAN-oss (rhymes with boss) camp.

As its a derivative of the Greek word for death - thanatos - I would have thought its pronounced the same way.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u (thumbs u

I've pronounced it TH-ANN-OSE (the correct way) forever, but I've heard people say TH-AYY-N-OSE and had no problem with it.

If someone pronounced the "OS" as "AWE-SS", I'd correct them.

By the way...the "TH" is pronounced hard like "Theater", and not soft like "then".

Now, how do you pronounce "Sienkiewicz"...?

;)

(sin-KEV-itch.)

Now, how do you pronounce "Sienkiewicz"...?

;)

(sin-KEV-itch.)

Yeah, that was another to say in the comic shop. No one around had ever met the guy, so we all called him "Sinky Wicks" until a few years ago.

Kim Bay-singer

Kim Bay-Sing-Ger

Kim Ba-Sing-er

?

Bay-sing-er.

http://seekcartoon.com/watch/26483-the-simpsons-season-10-episode-5-when-you-dish-upon-a-star.html#.VKrXNMJ0wW4

She corrects Homer.

:applause: I was looking for that clip

I know bifrost is pronounced bivROOST in swedish or whatever the hell the language is

Well, it feels good to have gotten this one right. As I've always called him Than-ose, the way the movie pronounced it.

Makes up for the fact that I spent much of my early childhood calling Namor the "Sub MARINE-er"

I was in the same camp. It still feels somewhat awkward to prounce the name "correctly". :blush: T'Challa was the other name I had difficulty with. Oh, and "Mr. Mxyzptlk" of course.