• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you pronounce "Thanos"?

112 posts in this topic

"Mix-yez-SPIT-lick!" - at least according to the animated Superman series from just a few years back.

:D

I always pronounced T'Challa as it is spelled, just a very abbreviated "T" sound at the front. Not "TUH-challah," more like "t-challah."

;)

-slym

I'm in the THAN-oss (rhymes with boss) camp.

As its a derivative of the Greek word for death - thanatos - I would have thought its pronounced the same way.

I am married into a greek family and I hear this every Easter. Coincidentally, it is pronounced both with a hard O and a soft O in the same song.

Christós anésti ek nekrón,

thanáto thánaton patísas,

ké tís en tís mnímasi,

zoín charisámenos!

But for what it is worth...

TH an OS

Me Fee StO

Sub M air in er

:acclaim:

As its a derivative of the Greek word for death - thanatos - I would have thought its pronounced the same way.

I am married into a greek family and I hear this every Easter. Coincidentally, it is pronounced both with a hard O and a soft O in the same song.

Christós anésti ek nekrón,

thanáto thánaton patísas,

ké tís en tís mnímasi,

zoín charisámenos!

But for what it is worth...

TH an OS

Me Fee StO

Sub M air in er

:acclaim:

Alithos Anesti (grew up in a Greek household (thumbs u )

English pronunciation is one of my pets peeves. There seems to be no logic, nor rhyme nor reason. Like the rules were just made up on the fly.

"celtic", for example. I've been chastised for pronouncing it wrong, depending upon the context.

Drives me nuts.

for some reason, I always pronounced it THAN- ose

which is apparently correct. Saying it another way never crossed my mind until this thread. Never heard someone pronounce it otherwise though I can't recall getting into a lot of Thanos related discussions for that matter. I doubt I would bother correcting them if they said it some other way. Tomato- tomaaaato

How do you pronounce "Thanos"? (shrug)

I know how I've always read it, but I imagine with Guardians of the Galaxy (which I haven't seen yet), we probably have a definitive answer to a question probably very few people even care about.

Overhearing people at cons and in shops, I heard the name used a LOT. Especially around the time Avengers was released. Examples I've heard:

THAN-oss (rhymes with boss)

THAN-ose (rhymes with dose)

THAY-noss

THAY-nose

THAN-iss

Which is correct? Which did you say when you first read the name? :popcorn:

This is how it's pronounced in the movies, and I saw in a video that this is how

pronounces it as well. Very confusing - spent 20 years mispronouncing it myself.

I always said Urich wrong until the Daredevil movie.

I know how I've always read it, but I imagine with Guardians of the Galaxy (which I haven't seen yet), we probably have a definitive answer to a question probably very few people even care about.

Overhearing people at cons and in shops, I heard the name used a LOT. Especially around the time Avengers was released. Examples I've heard:

THAY-noss

THAY-nose

THAN-iss

Bingo!

THAY-noss

THAY-nose

THAN-iss

Bingo!

That's how I used to pronounce it. Harder than hell to change at this point.