• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GAMBIT MOVIE MADE OFFICIAL (2016)...GOTTA GET X-MEN 266

317 posts in this topic

Would I be a heretic if I said I didn't think Tyler Kitsch's portrayal of Gambit was that bad?

His accent needed work but the attitude & demeanor were spot-on, esp. in an otherwise- movie. The _only_ things that film got right were Gambit & Sabretooth.

:o

Now you have gone too far!

:baiting:

So Wolverine elbows him and knocks him out. 60 seconds later he's jumping off the roof...hmmmm

Definitely mishandling of the character. I would like to say it was due to proper development, where the character was at an early stage. But the actor was still interesting in the role.

Would I be a heretic if I said I didn't think Tyler Kitsch's portrayal of Gambit was that bad?

His accent needed work but the attitude & demeanor were spot-on, esp. in an otherwise- movie. The _only_ things that film got right were Gambit & Sabretooth.

:o

Now you have gone too far!

:baiting:

So Wolverine elbows him and knocks him out. 60 seconds later he's jumping off the roof...hmmmm

Definitely mishandling of the character. I would like to say it was due to proper development, where the character was at an early stage. But the actor was still interesting in the role.

It was. It felt like a 2-panel comic cameo. I loved him in the role and wanted to see more...and what I saw felt forced.

Channing Tatum Gambit Movie Back In Development

Tzf170r.png

It's learned the Channing Tatum Gambit movie will be put back into active development.

A report by THR states after being placed on hold, as Channing Tatum filmed Steven Soderbergh’s Logan Lucky, Gambit should move back into active development with a new director.

A couple of months ago also saw Simon Kinberg update the Gambit movie in that they are getting the tone of Gambit right.

"I think the truth is when you have these movies that need a very special and unique tone, it takes a little while to find that tone…’Deadpool’ feels like it exploded out of nowhere, but it was a 10-year development process on that movie. I think it was honed over those 10 years."

"I hope that ‘Gambit’ doesn’t take 10 years, but it takes a little honing to get that tone and that voice exactly right. The character has such a specific voice in the comic in the same way that ‘Deadpool’ has a specific voice in the comic, that we want to make sure that we capture that voice on the page. Really it’s just about getting a screenplay that is worthy of that character, and I think we’re really close right now."

Will he have to swim the length of five football field through the bayou to escape at some point? :grin:

......Andy crawled to freedom through five hundred yards of mess smelling foulness I can't even imagine, or maybe I just don't want to. Five hundred yards... that's the length of five football fields, just shy of half a mile.

Will he have to swim the length of five football field through the bayou to escape at some point? :grin:

......Andy crawled to freedom through five hundred yards of mess smelling foulness I can't even imagine, or maybe I just don't want to. Five hundred yards... that's the length of five football fields, just shy of half a mile.

How can you be so obtuse?

Great movie. But I don't see how his success translates to Gambit. Two totally different kind of movie.

Happy it's taking steps to being created though.

X-Men Producer Confirms Channing Tatum Is Still Attached To Gambit

Despite numerous delays, some creative shakeups and months of rumors, Legion executive producer Lauren Shuler Donner, who has been working on the X-Men series of films from the very beginning, told reporters at the Television Critics Association that Channing Tatum is still attached to Gambit.

"Gambit will have its own different flavor and tone to it," executive producer Simon Kinberg has said. "[it] will be more of like a heist movie and a sexy thriller in a way."

X-Men Producer Simon Kinberg Provides Major Gambit Update

For those fans still hoping to see Gambit take the silver screen for his own film, ComicBook.com has an exciting update straight from X-Men producer Simon Kinberg.

"It's in active development," Kinberg said. "It's a movie that we hope will be ready to go by the end of this year and shoot next year. We have two or three X-Men related movies this year so it can wait for a moment. The process has been that Channing [Tatum] is as determined about getting the character right as Ryan Reynolds was about Deadpool and Hugh [Jackman] was about this Logan movie. We know that when we get those right, the movie succeeds so we want to make sure we get Gambit right because we want him to be the beginning of a whole new franchise."

The optimism in seeing Gambit become a franchise is a great sign for fans of the character. The character previously appeared in the X-Men movie universe for X-Men Origins: Wolverine. However, the role was rested upon Taylor Kitsch's shoulders for those films and Tatum is set to take on his first super hero role when Gambit shoots "next year."

Doug Liman Explains Why He Decided Against Directing X-MEN Spinoff GAMBIT

When We Got This Covered recently caught up with Liman, he shed some light on why he decided not to take the helm of Gambit and it doesn't sound like he was particularly impressed with the -script! 

"I look for a personal connection to the movies I make and it may not be immediately obvious. You know, like what’s my connection to Jason Bourne? I have a deeply personal connection to that movie because it’s all about Iran-Contra and my father ran the investigations into Iran-Contra. In every story I have a personal connection. The Wall, you’d be like what could this filmmaker from New York possibly have in common with these two soldiers pinned down in Irag? But The Wall is really about perseverance. It’s about picking yourself up and you just keep going and that’s something I have firsthand experience with. Not in war but in other aspects of life. With Gambit, I just never found that personal way in. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn’t."

Sounds like Fox did the right thing in holding this movie back for right now based on this summary.

X-Men Producer Offers Update On Gambit Movie

The success of Logan and Deadpool proved R-rated superhero moves can still bring in audiences, and Noah Hawley’s Legion on FX revealed people with powers can intrigue on a level beyond conflicts of good and evil.

These wins have pushed 20th Century Fox to continue mining their X-Men Universe with three new films entering production for release in 2018. But one film has long been in the development phase and still has yet to progress beyond casting the title character: Channing Tatum’s Gambit.

X-Men movie producer Hutch Parker recently spoke with ScreenRant about the project and whether it was still in the works for the studio.

“It is. It is,” Parker said. “I don’t have any news on that but there’s still a desire and a passionate interest to see that movie made.”

Channing Tatum Confirms He’s Working On Gambit Right Now

gambit-channing-tatum-1011217.png

ComicBook.com's Brandon Davis was able to snag Tatum for a brief question after the actor appeared at San Diego Comic-Con. It was there we asked if the actor was still playing Gambit, and here’s what the actor had to say:

“Yeah, of course. We're working on it right now."

Producer Hutch Parker recently confirmed the project was still moving along as expected, but Liman detailed the problems Gambit will face with fans shortly after he dropped out.

“You know, it’s a crowded field of superhero films so the challenge for Gambit or any of those other movies is finding its unique space and its unique take," Liman told IGN. "But, yeah, I think Simon Kinberg, who is producing it, is a great producer and he’ll create something great out of it."

Tatum feels it was good the movie didn't come out as originally planned. That says something!

Channing Tatum Says Gambit's Delays Were A Blessing

gambit-tatum-234484.jpg

“I think we got super, super lucky. I think a lot of setbacks, we'll look at them in hindsight as giant blessings. Because we were making it, [and] we're writing a movie right at the turn of a paradigm shift in movies,” Tatum told CinemaBlend earlier today at San Diego Comic Con. “So we got lucky that we didn't just come out with ours, which I don't think was fully formed. It was a good idea. We were going in the right direction.”

Tatum then went on to bring fellow Fox productions Logan and Deadpool to the spotlight.

“Then we got to learn from two really beautifully different kinds of a complete paradigm shifts,” Tatum reflected. “Like Logan and Deadpool, I mean, they knocked down a lot of doors for us to be able to do things that we wanted to do in the first place.”

This will be a tough one to pull off as a solo film IMHO. I would rather see them re-intro the character in an X-Men movie and then spin the film out of that. Or, add him as a character in the next Deadpool film and then do an R-rated Gambit.

Edited by kimik

1 hour ago, kimik said:

This will be a tough one to pull off as a solo film IMHO. I would rather see them re-intro the character in an X-Men movie and then spin the film out of that. Or, add him as a character in the next Deadpool film and then do an R-rated Gambit.

I like the 'Deadpool to solo movie' idea. Now that the Deadpool movie has gained trust and respect for how it handled the source material, it makes sense to warm people up to Gambit.