• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GAMBIT MOVIE MADE OFFICIAL (2016)...GOTTA GET X-MEN 266

317 posts in this topic

Would it be blasphemous to admit I don't really see Gambit's appeal?

His heyday was smack in the middle of my teenage / high school collecting days (I started collecting monthly at UXM at # 251 and stopped around # 307) and I never really saw his appeal - he certainly wasn't as cool as Cable or Bishop. Yeah - I loved that X-Men 266 quickly became a $20 book, but he seemed essentially like a Longshot replacement on the team.

Also - I thought Taylor Kitsch's portrayal in Wolverine was decent - it was the rest of the film that was .

Not saying I wouldn't potentially enjoy a Channing Tatum-anchored solo film but...other than some X-Men 266 speculators, are folks actually clamoring for this film?

Did I miss some key elements of the Gambit mythos post-1995 or so that made him particularly cool or important? And...forgive my ignorance, is he still active and/or relevant in the books today?

So glad this isn't happening. I love Gambit, but there are MUCH better actors for the role. Sorry Tatum, but you were going to turn this into a damn rom com.

Disney is going to re-launch X-Men, and will do Gambit (and Rogue for that matter) justice. I promise you that.

Edited by Darkowl

The budget of planned X-Men spin-off Gambit was “slashed quite considerably” in the wake of the box office failure of the Josh Trank-directed Fantastic Four reboot, says Rupert Wyatt.

“I was very close with Channing Tatum and his producing partner Reid Carolin, and I was on the -script with him and Josh Zetumer as a writer,” Wyatt told Comics Beat.

“We were close, I believe 10 weeks away. It simply came down to budget. There was not enough. You know all too well about the politics of the business. Fantastic Four had been released by Fox a month before and had not gone well for them, so our budget was slashed quite considerably. The inevitable, from my perspective was, ‘Well then we need to rewrite the -script to tailor to our budget,’ but we were too close to a start date for Fox to really want to go there, so unfortunately, it just didn’t work out.”

Channing, who has developed the project as star-producer, “had a really, really wonderful idea for what that film could and should be,” Wyatt added. “I know he and Reid are still plugging away at it, so I hope in the new Disney era, that then they get to make it.”

The Rise of the Planet of the Apes director was attached to direct the project until September 2015. He exited citing a push back in the scheduled start date from November 2015 to March 2016 as the cause for his stepping away.

“I was very much looking forward to working with my friend Channing and the team at Fox, but regrettably a push in the start date now conflicts with another project,” Wyatt said in a statement. “I thank them for the opportunity, and I know that Gambit will make a terrific film.”

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

Not saying the Gambit movie would have worked, but how did no one at Fox have the good sense to kill the FF reboot before it had a chance to be made?

I’m with you on that - I’ve never seen ANY FF movies and don’t plan to ... From all the Galactus cloud things I’ve heard , I didn’t miss much 

On 1/13/2019 at 9:39 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Would it be blasphemous to admit I don't really see Gambit's appeal?

His heyday was smack in the middle of my teenage / high school collecting days (I started collecting monthly at UXM at # 251 and stopped around # 307) and I never really saw his appeal - he certainly wasn't as cool as Cable or Bishop. Yeah - I loved that X-Men 266 quickly became a $20 book, but he seemed essentially like a Longshot replacement on the team.

Also - I thought Taylor Kitsch's portrayal in Wolverine was decent - it was the rest of the film that was .

Not saying I wouldn't potentially enjoy a Channing Tatum-anchored solo film but...other than some X-Men 266 speculators, are folks actually clamoring for this film?

Did I miss some key elements of the Gambit mythos post-1995 or so that made him particularly cool or important? And...forgive my ignorance, is he still active and/or relevant in the books today?

Same dude - I LOVED Gambit as a 90’s kid/ teen but his character arc wasn’t really fruitful  from what I remember ....

In a new interview with Collider, Wyatt provided details on what his Gambit film would have been like had things worked out and also explained why he departed from the project. Wyatt explained:

“Fantastic Four came out, did not do very well for Fox, [and] they decided to lower our budget. We were 12 weeks out, we couldn’t recover. The -script needed a huge amount of rewriting in order to fit that budget, and ultimately the powers that be chose not to go down that road, so the film didn’t happen. And then of course whatever happened after me with other directors, I have no idea. What I do know is that Channing Tatum and his producing partner Reid Carolin had an amazing idea of what that movie was going to be, and Josh Zeutemer, the writer, as well. It was terrific, it was a really exciting sort of Godfather with mutants set in the world of New Orleans with different gangs

… Yeah [a heist film] of a sort. I mean it was a period film. It dealt with the 70s up until the present day. It was about kind of mutant gangs and the notion of what it means to belong, tribalism in this bayou-like environment. The swamps of New Orleans. So it would’ve been a lot of fun. I know Channing sort of worked on the -script to make it into more of a romantic comedy, I think. Which I read and it was great, it was very different to what I was involved in. But now Disney have the reins so I don’t know what their plans are.”

I wonder if the MCU revisits this?

9 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I wonder if the MCU revisits this?

I think the takeaway should not be "cancelled" but that they are reassessing how to use these characters. All of them are essential except Kitty Pryde...she can hang out with Lockheed forever for all I care.

Edited by MadJimJaspers

On 3/16/2019 at 8:51 PM, Darkowl said:

Godfather meets romantic comedy?! doh!

No wonder they could never get a director to stick around. lol

10 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

The summary sounds a lot like Godfather III.  Good thing this movie never happened.

...it was a really exciting sort of Godfather with mutants set in the world of New Orleans with different gangs...

If you reflect back on Godfather I and II, both involved the turmoil of warring gangs while the Corleones attempt to protect family members. Meanwhile, Michael growing his relationship with Kay which disintegrates over time.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

...it was a really exciting sort of Godfather with mutants set in the world of New Orleans with different gangs...

If you reflect back on Godfather I and II, both involved the turmoil of warring gangs while the Corleones attempt to protect family members. Meanwhile, Michael growing his relationship with Kay which disintegrates over time.

I know Channing sort of worked on the --script to make it into more of a romantic comedy...

Mutant Godfather meets The Proposal?  Pass.

15 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I know Channing sort of worked on the ---script to make it into more of a romantic comedy...

Mutant Godfather meets The Proposal?  Pass.

At least you know #DarkPhoenix is there for you.

11 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

At least you know #DarkPhoenix is there for you.

:banana:

In all seriousness though, how many superhero movies has Fox botched?  Would you really expect them to successfully pull off a Godfather-like story with a subplot that could be found in a Sandra Bullock movie?

11 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

:banana:

In all seriousness though, how many superhero movies has Fox botched?  Would you really expect them to successfully pull off a Godfather-like story with a subplot that could be found in a Sandra Bullock movie?

I'm hoping the MCU takes a hard look at this to see if there is potential. Though now merged with a much larger portfolio of characters, I think Gambit may run into hurdles rising above the rest.

Doctor Doom, on the other hand, has a much stronger potential. Especially when Feige is asking the producer of the film if he is still working on the project.