• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Odd, unusual & funny panels thread
6 6

274 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, telerites said:

lol, That is classic - the writer had to know, just had to.  Of all the names to use.

What book is this from?  

It will be even funnier if it turns out to be post code.

There's a text story in an issue of Shock Suspense where the main characters name is Little Dickie  D!ldo.

Edited by Larryw7

I love Johnny Craig but what about this for artistic laziness? Note the first three panels on this page, from the story 'Backlash' in CRIME SUSPENSTORIES #4

08x.jpg

5 hours ago, G G ® said:

I love Johnny Craig but what about this for artistic laziness? Note the first three panels on this page, from the story 'Backlash' in CRIME SUSPENSTORIES #4

08x.jpg

I think you misunderstood the artistic intent of using the same panels. My interpretation is that the panels represent a cinematic style where the self-absorbed main character is in the foreground and there are other people talking in the background. Comic panels are static and various methods are used to convey movement. The characters are just talking and not physically moving so their changing conversation convey the passage of time. As you can see in the later panels the main character is lost in his own thoughts especially in the black panel where he is spotlighted. Although a little bit of time was saved by using the same panels, I think it would be artistically lazy if there was one panel with just text or one panel with huge word ballons of the conversations. That would not look as nice. EC books were much better written and drawn than most other comics of the time.

8 hours ago, jpepx78 said:

I think you misunderstood the artistic intent of using the same panels. My interpretation is that the panels represent a cinematic style where the self-absorbed main character is in the foreground and there are other people talking in the background. Comic panels are static and various methods are used to convey movement. The characters are just talking and not physically moving so their changing conversation convey the passage of time. As you can see in the later panels the main character is lost in his own thoughts especially in the black panel where he is spotlighted. Although a little bit of time was saved by using the same panels, I think it would be artistically lazy if there was one panel with just text or one panel with huge word ballons of the conversations. That would not look as nice. EC books were much better written and drawn than most other comics of the time.

I get that completely. I thought about this for some time before I posted because I have read all the EC stories before and I also have a strong understanding of PCH, it is after all my favourite genre. Yes EC were for the most part better written than most of the competitors of the time, but they were also extremely formulaic as well.

JC wrote his own stories as well as illustrating them rather than the usual scripted Feldstein efforts. I always loved the quirkiness of Craig's style, but it does have faults. A better interpretation of being 'lost in thoughts' might have been the protagonist's character not moving but the background characters having some sort of slight movement in my opinion.

To show all the characters with absolutely no movement is kind of patronising to the reader, and frankly, rather lazy. 2c