• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Saga #1 RRP Appreciation Thread

536 posts in this topic

Lets find some common ground - do we all agree it was a 'special printing', so can we say it isn't a first printing? Is that good enough? Or am I the worst ever for suggesting this? I mean, again... it doesn't matter at all when you consider the modern market and the ways in which many people have chosen to collect.

If you think it is a first print, good, if you think it is a third print, great, if you think it is a special printing, adjective. I certainly have my own opinion and it informs my behavior, but in reality, it doesn't matter.

Using made up terminology to placate one or two people who are basically just trolling the issue at this point doesn't accomplish anything, nor would it magically turn the book into being something other than the third printing with a different cover for the Diamond summit that it is. Here's the link for that public announcement again:

https://summits.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/1/54/787?articleID=118463

-J.

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

Using made up terminology to placate one or two people who are basically just trolling the issue at this point doesn't accomplish anything, nor would it magically turn the book into being something other than the third printing with a different cover for the Diamond summit that it is. Here's the link for that public announcement again:

-J.

You're not going to change anyone's opinion, just like no one has ever been able to change yours on one of your hot button issues.

3 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Regardless of what print it is considered, I still would like to know if there was any clarity on the supposed 500 print run on the RRP.  That is what really distinguishes this book IMO.

To this day I have never seen the genesis of that "500" print run number.  Considering that the book was sent out to retailers after the summit, and "one per attendee", per the Diamond announcement,  I don't know how that number could be anything other than a total guess (like most discussions on print runs). Except in this case, the number seems to have been repeated so much as to have become "fact".

-J.

1 minute ago, SquareChaos said:

As I'd think you know, the entire point of something being an opinion is that it can be wrong. Otherwise it'd be called people's facts.

Yes, and it is a fact that this book is third printing.  In light of the fact that Diamond itself said it is a third printing, and Image published it a month later, after the first printing, with the corresponding indicia and UPC code as such, someone simply calling that an "opinion" doesn't make it an opinion. 

-J.

Just now, SquareChaos said:

As I'd think you know, the entire point of something being an opinion is that it can be wrong. Otherwise it'd be called people's facts.

??? We're discussing a comic book. It was printed at a specific time and nothing anybody says can change that. There are no relevant opinions here.

Just now, Jaydogrules said:

Yes, and it is a fact that this book is third printing.  In light of the fact that Diamond itself said it is a third printing, and Image published it a month later, after the first printing, with the corresponding indicia and UPC code as such, someone simply calling that an "opinion" doesn't make it an opinion. 

-J.

Capture.PNG.e8d9faa961116e4f29052ad752045ea4.PNG

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

??? We're discussing a comic book. It was printed at a specific time and nothing anybody says can change that. There are no relevant opinions here.

See above.

Do people really not know how opinions work? People can have any dumb, ignorant, or offensive opinion they want regardless of the facts. When they willfully ignore what you believe to be the facts, shrug and move on. You're not going to change anyone's mind on the internet.

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:

Do you realize how many limited editions/incentives/variants that are printed after the first print there are and still considered a first print?(shrug)

10 minutes ago, I like pie said:

Do you realize how many limited editions/incentives/variants that are printed after the first print there are and still considered a first print?(shrug)

You are setting up the proverbial straw man.  

It doesn't matter what some people might "consider" this book to be.  

The publisher and the organization that commissioned it have already told you what it actually is.  

But Squarechaos' point is well taken.  

-J.

11 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Examples?

The most recent example would be the Image blind box books. They certainly were printed after the "first prints". They have no bar codes and the indicia doesn't specify an alternate printing.

So what are those? Variants of the first print. As it is with the Saga RRP.

3 minutes ago, I like pie said:

The most recent example would be the Image blind box books. They certainly were printed after the "first prints". They have no bar codes and the indicia doesn't specify an alternate printing.

So what are those? Variants of the first print. As it is with the Saga RRP.

Yeah they're just like this book. Except this book does have a barcode designating it as third printing, together with a public announcement from the publisher and Diamond, the organization that commissioned it, calling it a third printing.  

You can't be serious.   

-J.