• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Saga #1 RRP Appreciation Thread

536 posts in this topic

I don’t have a weblink that has a print number, but I’m ok with my belief that there’s roughly 500 copies.

As determined by the round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round (see what I’m doing here?) of this thread.... until BKV or Image or Diamond provides you a documented number you will not be satisfied. 

1 minute ago, cbalroman said:

I don’t have a weblink that has a print number, but I’m ok with my belief that there’s roughly 500 copies.

As determined by the round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round and round (see what I’m doing here?) of this thread.... until BKV or Image or Diamond provides you a documented number you will not be satisfied. 

You are certainly free to believe anything you want that gets you through the day, facts and evidence  (or lack thereof) notwithstanding.  (thumbsu

-J.

2 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

You are certainly free to believe anything you want that gets you through the day, facts and evidence  (or lack thereof) notwithstanding.  (thumbsu

-J.

Blind faith can be a beautiful thing. 

Best of luck to you on your quest to prove things. 

On 10/9/2017 at 6:33 PM, Jaydogrules said:

And neither do either facts or overwhelming circumstantial evidence, apparently.  (thumbsu

And just for kicks, here are other books from the same era that have sold for or sell for more than this with significantly less copies on the census:

X 23 1 (Dell'otto, 2010)

Walking Dead 100-

Lucille 

Red Foil

ASM 688 (Campbell)

UXM 510 partial sketch 

Etc....

-J

The percentage of a print run, especially on a boutique book like this, that ends up getting slabbed might, just might, have some correlation to who originally has possession of the book.

If retailers and industry insiders are the ones being given the book at an industry event, chances are they are going to retain possession of a large percentage of the print run. And since these individuals are in the industry and literally make their money by selling comics it stands to reason they are A) more likely to be paying attention to secondary market values for books and B) more likely get their books graded. That leads to a higher percentage of graded copies out of the total print run.

On the other hand, if you have a book that is a free giveaway at a theme park you are going to see a very low percentage of the overall print run being graded because the original owners of the books are less likely to be involved in comics at all, let alone be paying attention to their values or utilizing a professional grading service. Comparing the Saga VARIANT to most of the other books on that list is dumb.

Hell, if you are using census numbers to project print runs by guessing at an appropriate percentage for the number of slabbed copies you are going to have a real difficult time with all these new store exclusives. Some of these variants might end up with 75% of the run being graded because the stores themselves are offering grading pre-release and most of the original buyers of the book A) follow secondary market values B) utilize the professional grading services.

On 10/9/2017 at 7:09 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Indeed.  

How about some kind of official source verifying that number?

(Still doesn't explain all the other books either.  Also interesting how both books that would be outliers if those print numbers were remotely real are Image books.)

-J.

Wait, you are fine with demanding a source for an alleged print run number in the case of this Walking Dead variant but cry foul in the Dell'otto thread when I demand the same from you regarding the ASM 667 variant? How does that work?

On 10/9/2017 at 7:20 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Great.  Now show me the one for this Saga 1 reprint.  Because the only semi official thing that has been reported so far was for this year's event with the announcement of "500+" already baked in.

-J.

Wait, so after being shown evidence of the print run via official copy written by the company the produces the Walking Dead book you are content to pivot back to crying foul about the Saga 1 VARIANT print run? A print run, that much like the ASM 667 Dell'otto book, has only been vaguely cited on the internet? Why the double standard?