• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your collecting goals for 2015?

71 posts in this topic

With a new year comes new art. What artwork are you actively looking to add to your collection this year?

I was mostly a Marvel guy growing up but also read DC. I would like to add some nice examples of a number of artists and the DC characters they are well known for.

1. Richard W. Sprang (CGC wont let me type D i c k) - Batman page

2. Curt Swan - Superman page

3. Joe Kubert - Enemy Ace, Prince Valiant or Sgt Rock

4. Dan Smith - Illustration

5. Carmine Infantino - 60s Flash or Adam Strange page

6. Green Lantern Oath page - Gil Kane, Joe Staton or Neal Adams

Copied and Pasted from another board!

1. Eddy Barrows Valkyrie. He's become one of my favourite artists, but I have yet to attend a show he's been at. Think he'd be perfect for a Valkyrie piece. This was #2 on last year's list, but I wasn't able to get it done.

2. Ivan Reis. Anything that might fit into my collection. He's pretty much my favourite regular comic artist right now, and I don't have a single piece by him! #4 on last year's list, and I STILL haven't acquired anything...maybe I'm being too picky...lol.

3. Rags Morales Valkyrie commission. He's been putting out some fantastic commissions, and I'd really love a Val from him. Last year's #5.

4. Allan Goldman Valkyrie and the Lady Liberators commission. I got a mock cover commission from MC Wyman featuring this team, and I think I'm going to make it into an ongoing theme. Planning on Goldman being the 2nd artist to add to it.

5. Adi Granov Gamora. I have a Hela and Valkyrie from him already, would really love a Gamora from him as well.

6. Just a general one here...try to pick up at least a few really nice published Gamora and Valkyrie pages for my collection.

Already at work on my list. #4 is being worked on already, with prelims being done and a favourite being chosen!

well my art goal is simple.being on a budget try to pick up a few pages. that wont clean out my back account. I did very well in 2014 picking up a few more pages than my 2013 haul. so my goal tis year is to hopefully trade-up some pages for a really nice piece. ;]

larry

After I win the lottery, my goals are simple. :)

They are:

• A page by Englehart/Rogers/Austin from their Detective run
  • A page by Kirby from JiM/Thor or New Gods (my have to stick with my IDW book for that. :)
  • A Batman page or specialty drawing by Sprang
  • A Legion page by Curt Swan with lots of Legionnaires
  • The cover or splash from JLA 29 (1st series, my first comic)

Here is a list of what I am calling my "lifetime goals". I would hope to start chipping away at it in 2015. My budget is determined by my eBay sales and the balance in my PayPal account. I can only spend in the hobby what I make from the hobby. Wife's Rules!

- Cerebus page

- Kevin Maguire Justice League page

- TMNT page

- Wonder Woman page by George Perez or John Byrne

- Joe Madureira X-Men page

- Splash page with a really cool dragon on it

- Fantastic Four page with the whole team

- Legion of Super-Heroes page, preferably with Cosmic Boy, Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl (the original three)

- Spider-Man page with him swinging or shooting webbing

- A painting. Not sure of what, maybe a piece that became a Trading Card like the Marvel Masterworks

My Grail piece is a Neal Adams page.

James

I can only spend in the hobby what I make from the hobby. Wife's Rules!

amen brother

having said that I agree with Terry, no specific goal, just see what the auction winds bring...so far its a freakin tornado blowing at Clink and HA in February....wish I could run for cover but I am running towards the storm

so far 1 piece I must have

1 piece I really really really want to have

like 5 pieces I would like

I'm screwed

:facepalm:

Spent more in 2014 (among several art categories, not just comic/illustration) than in any previous year. And sold an embarrassingly low number of pieces, less than ten.

It's not just about money though. The quantity is completely out of control. Every single piece is "good stuff" but appreciation is lost in the greater mass.

Out altogether for 2015 unless something incredible comes along. And even then...? I really need to focus more on a calculated deaccession plan :)

I am well into my deaccession plan, if that word means what I think it means. I have been in a trading frenzy, both giving and acquiring volume in the past month via trade. But my overall plan remains in pursuit of The Fifty to hang on my walls. This year I am hoping to get a nice Bill Everett Dr.Strange (wow, there happen to be some coming to market these days); pick up one of two near grails at the next comic art con via hook or crook; get some more BWS (besides the one I am now making time payments on; and also see prior goal); and be ready should something I really want come to auction - whether it be a Moebius, Alex Raymond, or Hal Foster...yeah one of those would be nice! I may "settle" for a subgroup - Mark Schultz, Bernie Wrightson, or Seth Fisher.

Wow, I wrote this out and did not think to add Starman for the first time in 20 years. The times they are a changin'

After taking a hiatus from collecting for over a year, my main goal is to not jump back into the level I was previously collecting.

Goals

Sal Buscema Hulk splash page (and a couple panel pages)

Great examples from my favorite artists - McGuinness/Pelletier/Pagulayan/Deodato/Trimpe/Tim Sale

Add a couple new pieces to my Bob Larkin homage series

I'm happy with everything I bought in 2014, but it was too much! I must sell a piece or two first to build back up the reserve funds.

I have already achieved my goal for 2015 - to pick up something amazing off of my want list. If I can pick up just one piece off my want list per year going forward, then mission accomplished. I can now sit back and wait and see what else pops up this year!!

Bought about 5 pieces this year which I'm very happy with, but again missed out on what I really wanted.

so for the 6th year in a row I'm hoping to get : an Al Williamson EC SF page.

At last one came up for sale in 2014 ..but me and some other bidder drove it up at least $3500 during the live bid (on top of the price it was already at) and I got the feeling that he would just keep going and I had to let it go as I thought it was already way above what it was really worth. It hurt all Summer. :cry:

My goal's for 2015 are as follows:

Ditko ASM page. With the prices increasing this may be my last chance.

Another Romita Sr. ASM page. Looking for a page with Doc. Ock or Vulture

A few nice Dare Devil pages.

John B.

overall I went overboard in 2014

"Overboard" is a good way to describe my 2014 as well. Everything was going as planned for the first 7-8 months of the year - I picked up some great, very meaningful pieces and still had managed to cut my OA spending by about 3/4ths from 2013. I'm still not sure what happened at that point, though - long story short, I ended up quietly going on a total bender over the past few months. :doh:

As such, I don't really have specific acquisition goals for 2015 at this point. If pieces that really resonate with me turn up, I'm going to go after them. But, otherwise, my intention is to be more disciplined with my spending this year, especially after losing a bit of focus during the last few months of 2014.

2014 was supposed to be the year I observed the market from the sidelines and of course that didn't happen. Far from it as it turned out to be the year I spent the most on OA.

Looking through my collection, I think I've ignored painted works for far too long. :tonofbricks:

So, for 2015, I'd like to pick up one major piece, preferably a nice Jeff Jones piece or a painting from one of the Studio members.

So, for 2015, I'd like to pick up one major piece, preferably a nice Jeff Jones piece or a painting from one of the Studio members.

Featuring Spider-Man or the Hulk?

:jokealert:

Well, there has been a few Wrightson Hooky painted pages featuring Spidey floating around hm