• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your collecting goals for 2015?

71 posts in this topic

One very nice Karel Thole.

Off the table selection....... never heard of until now... 10 second google shows to be very nice images and ahead of their time (seeing surrealistic covers on Philip K novels and such..... 60s looking art on 50s looking books...). hm

1. Unload 100+ pages of Silver/Bronze/Cooper age Marvel and DC art

2. Buy a New Mutants Title Splash or Cover (good one)

3. Finish my 35 cent price variant set.

4. Acquire a Frank Miller Dare Devil page (loose pencils or earlier, no roughs from the end)

5. Acquire a Star Wars Marvel Title Splash (US Published)

6. Acquire a Jim Lee Uncanny X-Men page with Wolverine in costume and at least one other

Mine was to purchase a nice early X-men page by Werner Roth, and that was done with the last Heritage sale!

Next goal is to sell some of my collection to pay off a grail comic.

Sean Murphy - Chrononauts art (just love his stuff and was sad I never found the right Wake art)

Sergio Aragones - Groo Title DPS

Frank Quitely - Jupiter's Legacy(unrealistic fantasy), Flex Mentallo(slightly less unrealistic fantasy)

overall I went overboard in 2014

"Overboard" is a good way to describe my 2014 as well. Everything was going as planned for the first 7-8 months of the year - I picked up some great, very meaningful pieces and still had managed to cut my OA spending by about 3/4ths from 2013. I'm still not sure what happened at that point, though - long story short, I ended up quietly going on a total bender over the past few months. :doh:

As such, I don't really have specific acquisition goals for 2015 at this point. If pieces that really resonate with me turn up, I'm going to go after them. But, otherwise, my intention is to be more disciplined with my spending this year, especially after losing a bit of focus during the last few months of 2014.

To summarize --- Gene's going to attempt to stay focused, fail miserably at some point this year and buy a lot of art. (thumbs u :news: Go get 'em bro.

:roflmao::signfunny:

The pieces I'd love to acquire (but would probably need to sell/trade a lot to get) would be:

John Byrne - Uncanny X-Men page

Jim Steranko - X-Men or Nick Fury Agent of Shield page

Barry Smith - Any Marvel page from the 1970's, ideally Avengers

Marshall Rogers - Detective Comics Batman page

Paul Smith - Uncanny X-Men, Marvel Fanfare or Dr. Strange page

John Romita Jr / Bob Layton - Invincible Iron Man page

Neal Adams - Any Marvel page, ideally X-Men or Avengers and a Green Lantern/Green Arrow page

Steve Ditko - Amazing Spider-Man page

I think that rounds off my ongoing nostalgic pursuits, then anything else I find aesthetically pleasing would be a bonus...

So, how did everybody do this year? :popcorn:

1. Richard W. Sprang (CGC wont let me type D i c k) - Batman page

2. Curt Swan - Superman page

3. Joe Kubert - Enemy Ace, Prince Valiant or Sgt Rock

4. Dan Smith - Illustration

5. Carmine Infantino - 60s Flash or Adam Strange page

6. Green Lantern Oath page - Gil Kane, Joe Staton or Neal Adams

My original list (above) from the start of the year I have just one a Joe Staton Green Lantern Oath page.

But this has been a great year picking up other pieces I have been wanting including a page from Avenger #58, vintage Al Williamson and Alex Raymond Flash Gordon, Spy vs Spy colour cover, Frank Thorne Ghita artwork and a couple of Vampirella covers (Sanjulian and Gonzalez).

After taking a hiatus from collecting for over a year, my main goal is to not jump back into the level I was previously collecting.

Goals

Sal Buscema Hulk splash page (and a couple panel pages)

Great examples from my favorite artists - McGuinness/Pelletier/Pagulayan/Deodato/Trimpe/Tim Sale

Add a couple new pieces to my Bob Larkin homage series

I was able to add a Sal Buscema panel page but the splash still eludes me. I feel good about this goal and it will roll over into 2016 targeting.

I was able to add great examples from McGuinness, Deodato, Gary Frank, Sal Buscema, Pelletier, etc. I feel really good about this goal and it will roll into 2016 as well.

I was able to add a Bob Larkin homage pieces that I was thrilled to pick up. Once again, very happy and will look to add 2-3 more in 2016.

I was also able to add a McFarlane Hulk page this year which was a total surprise and something I wanted but had not made it a goal. More than happy with the realization of this un-listed goal for 2015.

I have been a lot more targeted in the last couple years and I have moved my collecting allocation mix away from being more heavily into commission art and more into pages. I plan to continue this trend in 2016 with my top goal being to land that Sal Buscema early splash from his Hulk run.

I am well into my deaccession plan, if that word means what I think it means. I have been in a trading frenzy, both giving and acquiring volume in the past month via trade. But my overall plan remains in pursuit of The Fifty to hang on my walls. This year I am hoping to get a nice Bill Everett Dr.Strange (wow, there happen to be some coming to market these days); pick up one of two near grails at the next comic art con via hook or crook; get some more BWS (besides the one I am now making time payments on; and also see prior goal); and be ready should something I really want come to auction - whether it be a Moebius, Alex Raymond, or Hal Foster...yeah one of those would be nice! I may "settle" for a subgroup - Mark Schultz, Bernie Wrightson, or Seth Fisher.

Wow, I wrote this out and did not think to add Starman for the first time in 20 years. The times they are a changin'

I got my new BWS but the rest continue to elude me. I continue my massive emptying of the comics' closet but have gotten the acquisition itch again. I've given a cursory scratch at it, but feel the itch growing.

With that said - like 1 for 5 or something - it was a GREAT art year. That one is awesome beyond belief, so I recognize that I am blessed to own these totems of power.