• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (May-2018)
5 5

1,501 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Its never even been close to a contest, with the one exception being Wonder Woman. DC is so far behind with the DCEU compared to Marvel that its not even funny. And the sad thing is, Marvel basically handed DC the perfect blueprint for making these films, but DC was stubborn and wanted to go a different route. One much more dark and serious and we have all seen how that has played out. The good news on this front is I think DC is starting to come around. Wonder Woman was a great movie and hiring Joss Whedon clearly shows they want to lighten things up a bit. Still, they have a LOT of catching up to do. And what makes this even more unbelievable for me is I think DC has a MUCH stronger roster of characters than Marvel. 

Agree with that.  Marvel did everything right with this one (and all the other movies).  DC isn’t even close.  Wonder Woman was their best effort.  It was good, but not even close to Infinity War.  

Just killed it with this one.  Can’t wait for Part 2.  

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

:facepalm:

One-trick pony.

the failure of JL falls on the executives of WB they should have been more support to the vision Zack had and help build it up and iron out the flaws the story had instead of being reactional to what Marvel was doing.

4 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

And Disney bought Marvel for just 4 Billion, lol. That will go down as one of the biggest deals in corporate buyout history. They got over 5000 Marvel characters (now up to 8000) and have already made over 13 billion just at the box office alone. That doesn't include merchandising rights, which is a BIG one when it comes to both DC and Marvel. They make a decent amount of money off of merchandising. Not to mention Blu-Ray/DVD sales. Again, easily one of the best deals in regards to buyouts in the entire history of corporate America. 

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

You are not kidding!

Between Marvel and Star Wars, Disney can keep printing money for years through movies, TV shows and merchandising. Not even considering comic books from all these characters.

Let not all forget that if it wasn't for Paramount given Marvel the chances with Iron Man none of these movies and including Disney buyout could've happened.

Edited by kagenish

I did not say the movie was terrible, only that I personally thought the reasoning behind some things and the portrayal of some characters was disappointing.  Please show me where I said the movie was terrible. I didn't like it as much as I wanted (ok, expected) to.  My condolences for your hurt feelings. :foryou:

I did like a couple things.  The first scene on the ship and the second to last scene just prior to the Vision were awesome (especially the music as Thanos plowed through them).  The humor was really funny although there was a bit too much at times.  The CGI was good except for close ups of the Outriders at times.  I appreciated the homages to the IG & IW comics.

Edited by Mystafo

29 minutes ago, kagenish said:

Let not all forget that if it wasn't for Paramount given Marvel the chances with Iron Man none of these movies and including Disney buyout could've happened.

You mean the company Disney had to pay a portion of each movie to all the way up to Thor: The Dark World? I had no idea Paramount was involved.

:baiting:

:insane:

CinemaScore Earned By Marvel's AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR Over The Weekend

If you've seen Avengers: Infinity War, you'll no doubt realize why some critics have said it could be as divisive as Star Wars: The Last Jedi. However, it doesn't appear as if Marvel Studios' latest movie needs to worry about any sort of backlash because it earned an impressive "A" CinemaScore from moviegoers this weekend. That points to word of mouth being positive which will no doubt pay off in a lot of ways.

How? Well, repeat viewings and people recommending Avengers: Infinity War to friends will have a significant impact at the box office and after that record-breaking weekend, it appears as if the sky may be the limit for this movie. It's the 15th release from Marvel Studios to earn an "A," while three others gained a solid "A-." The only one to fall out of that bracket is 2011's THOR with a still great "B+."

Not surprised in the least that marvel studios nailed this! They're the best at what they do! Its looking like a banner year for them. At some point when x-men & FF rights are hashed out a movie based on the original secret wars series should be made. First because it wouldn't be far removed from this Avengers movie. Secondly it could help clarify confusion about Spider-man's black costume. 

Everybody I know that's not into comics thinks Spider-man wearing the black costume is either Venom or spidey's evil alter ego :pullhair:

2 hours ago, kagenish said:

Actually, Marvel raised the VAST majority of money on Iron Man. They actually put up the IP rights to MANY of their characters as collateral. It was considered a HUGE risk at the time and had it failed, Marvel would have lost the rights to many of thier characters including the Avengers. So Paramount didn't have nearly as much to do with it as your suggesting. 

1 minute ago, DiamondCityComics said:

I never see a movie more than once but I am offering to bring family that haven't seen it so I can go again.  I just really loved this movie.  

Wow, you never watch a movie more than once? I just can't imagine not revisiting my favorite movies every so often. Not to mention, some films really need to be seen twice to really fully appreciate them. Memento and Inception are 2 perfect examples.

7 minutes ago, DiamondCityComics said:

I never go back to the theater, guess I should have clarified that.  I own a ton on bluray. 

Ah, gotcha!! I really don't either. I think there have been like 5 films in my entire life I went and saw more than once including The Matrix & Avatar.

5 hours ago, NewWorldOrder said:

No, its because just like you probably assume how can anyone think SW The Last Jedi (or as I like to call it, STAR Feminism: The Last Snowflake) was a good movie. We all think you are thoroughly ridiculous for not enjoying this dream come true movie.  Marvel though owned by Disney are not puppets to Disney like STar Wars is.  

What I think some are missing is that these movies are NOT "dreams come true" for some of us. They are not filmed realizations of the comics we loved, they're altered versions. And we just can't get that excited about them. They may be ok on their own terms, but aren't nearly as good as the films we've seen in our heads.

Edited by marvelcollector

The people looking at the box office opening numbers, you have to remember that this still has yet to open in China, which is the 2nd bigges movie market in the world. It opens in China in the 2nd week of May and those numbers will be added onto the opening numbers for Infinity War. So you should expect at least another $150 million to get added onto Infinity War's opening numbers. 

7 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

You are not kidding!

Between Marvel and Star Wars, Disney can keep printing money for years through movies, TV shows and merchandising. Not even considering comic books from all these characters.

Worldwide. Downstairs from the Bangkok Comic Convention in a huge mall in Thailand, Marvel had a monstrous set up on Saturday, and the store was just selling t-shirts, hats, figures like it was the last day they'd ever be available. Just cranking out the sales.

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 8.10.20 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 8.09.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 8.10.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 8.10.01 AM.png

This is not a time to rehash what went wrong with Justice League for the millionth time... or to give oxygen to blowhards who come here to express their contrary opinions for the sole purpose of it being the one place in their life where people will pay attention to them...

As comic book fans, it's remarkable the age we live in... and that a 10-year plan of connected movies has led to a movie like this with so many characters played by so many of today's biggest stars... I mean... wow.   If you're someone who truely loves comics and comic characters, how can you not love all of this?

I was so happy that the movie delivered when we saw it today.   I was especially pleased that.

Spoiler

the deaths were handled so well!  Loki and Heimdel seemed like they were truely killed and got really good deaths. Loki especially.   Gamora got a death that should bring her a dramatic return in the next movie...and the rest were just taken off the board for a while.

I think that if any "major" death had occurred at the end of this movie... Cap, Iron Man, etc.. it would be too easy to not "feel" it, knowing that with part II it could be undone.  It's the same reason why the "death" of Vision didn't land.. you don't feel that he's necessarily gone, but that they'll bring him back.  But anyone who dies in part II? Those deaths are going to really mean something.