• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (May-2018)
5 5

1,501 posts in this topic

14 more days of 50% Domestic drops (reasonable to assume) would give it another $72+ Million and put it at $620 Million, to move up one place and tie #7 Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

If China's numbers come through at $200 Million (very likely) that would put it at 1.878 Million after 14 days, not counting any other foreign box office. That would put it firmly in the #4 spot all-time Worldwide. After ONE MONTH.

Most movies this big run for 4 months. There's another $70 Mil there 2nd month domestic, and if the Chinese market comes close to the high end (most likely) of $250 Million, this movie could possibly hit the $2B mark at the end of it's second month....  

43 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

There have got to be directors just kicking-mad thinking this trend has to end soon like they predicted years ago.

The people who make those predictions haven't been studying the history of the heroic myth throughout the entire recorded history of human civilization.  The question isn't when the superhero wave will end; the question is what the next form of the heroic myth will be.  It CAN'T disappear, it can only be replaced.  And the people predicting the death of superheroes probably won't like whatever heroic narrative form eventually replaces it, either, so they can just suck it.  :slapfight:

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

The people who make those predictions haven't been studying the history of the heroic myth throughout the entire recorded history of human civilization.  The question isn't when the superhero wave will end; the question is what the next form of the heroic myth will be.  It CAN'T disappear, it can only be replaced.  And the people predicting the death of superheroes probably won't like whatever heroic narrative form eventually replaces it, either, so they can just suck it.  :slapfight:

51VeJN9ikML._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by RedRaven

OK...we’re far enough in the Avengers Infinity War run that I’m going to give my theory on what happened. Stop here if you don’t want the movie spoiled....

When Iron Man and Spider-Man was trying to grab the Gauntlet off Thanos and Mantis couldn’t put Thanos to sleep, Starlord acted like a complete jerk trying to interrogate Thanos about the whereabouts of Gamora. My take?

Starlord was trying to distract Thanos while Stark replaced one of the stones, probably the Reality Stone, with a fake one; generated by Stark’s new nanotechnology armor. Thanos bailed quickly when Strange too easily just gave up his stone and immediately got in a fight to get Vision’s stone. When he got what he thought was the last stone, Thor went ballistic on him before Thanos snapped his fingers and half the universe died. Thanos then immediately bailed out. Thanos never realized he still didn’t have all the stones when he did the deed and Dr Strange conjured up a massive spell, with the help of the Reality stone, to make it look like all the heroes died. Thanos was tricked and all those who “died” are probably sitting in one of Strange’s dimensions before he brings them back. That’s what I think happened...

Jim

47 minutes ago, awe4one said:

OK...we’re far enough in the Avengers Infinity War run that I’m going to give my theory on what happened. Stop here if you don’t want the movie spoiled....

When Iron Man and Spider-Man was trying to grab the Gauntlet off Thanos and Mantis couldn’t put Thanos to sleep, Starlord acted like a complete jerk trying to interrogate Thanos about the whereabouts of Gamora. My take?

Starlord was trying to distract Thanos while Stark replaced one of the stones, probably the Reality Stone, with a fake one; generated by Stark’s new nanotechnology armor. Thanos bailed quickly when Strange too easily just gave up his stone and immediately got in a fight to get Vision’s stone. When he got what he thought was the last stone, Thor went ballistic on him before Thanos snapped his fingers and half the universe died. Thanos then immediately bailed out. Thanos never realized he still didn’t have all the stones when he did the deed and Dr Strange conjured up a massive spell, with the help of the Reality stone, to make it look like all the heroes died. Thanos was tricked and all those who “died” are probably sitting in one of Strange’s dimensions before he brings them back. That’s what I think happened...

Jim

Very reasonable assumption with all that power coming from the stones and how they could be used in this situation. But then if it turns out in Avengers 4 Thanos is contained and the real damage didn't happen, wouldn't that make for a less exciting movie?

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Very reasonable assumption with all that power coming from the stones and how they could be used in this situation. But then if it turns out in Avengers 4 Thanos is contained and the real damage didn't happen, wouldn't that make for a less exciting movie?

To me yes..

22 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

No...they still have to get the Gauntlet.  And dispose of it.  The danger is still there once Thanos realizes he's been tricked.

Edited by awe4one

1 hour ago, awe4one said:

No...they still have to get the Gauntlet.  And dispose of it.  The danger is still there once Thanos realizes he's been tricked.

I wonder if they could even NOT reveal the real situation for a portion of Avengers 4 until we the audience finds out we have been seeing everything from Thanos's influenced viewpoint, and then all of a sudden reality sets in when the heroes are trying to remove the Gauntlet.

Kind of like an FX Legion-type trippy situation. That would be quite wild. Especially if he goes into a rage and really starts beating down heroes when he comes out of his fog and loses it over not achieving his original goal.

Disney should take a play from the Wachowski's handbook & release Infinity Gauntlet this Christmas since there is no Star Wars movie. Then it could even rival Avatars box office. The Matrix is the only franchise I can recall putting out 2 films in one year & fans are hungry for Avengers 4.

59 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

Disney should take a play from the Wachowski's handbook & release Infinity Gauntlet this Christmas since there is no Star Wars movie. Then it could even rival Avatars box office. The Matrix is the only franchise I can recall putting out 2 films in one year & fans are hungry for Avengers 4.

+1

I really hope they do this. Are they done filming? If yes, and the CGI can be done in time, do it. That would be a huge movie. 

Josh Brolin would love the Christmas gift as well after presumably raking it with his royalty from Infinity War and Deadpool 2 in the first half of the year. 

I am curious to see whether the sequel will top this film. I think it should, and that would mean a second $2B+ superhero movie which would be awesome. 

Edited by kimik

1 hour ago, chezmtghut said:

they wouldn't want to release it on Dec 21 and compete with Bumblebee and Alita-  ooooh, scary lol  #aquaman

21 hours ago, RedRaven said:
23 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

51VeJN9ikML._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm unfamiliar with that book, but yes, exactly.  Interesting to see how many famous storytellers have been inspired by it.

I reverse-engineered the idea from the way that works like the Illiad, Odyssey, or Beowulf are assigned reading in school.  The quality of the writing of any of those isn't spectacular, but that's not the point, it's the universality of the archetypes from those stories along with the continuing popularity of the characters that makes them well worth making sure that kids are familiar with them.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:18 PM, chezmtghut said:

Disney won't release two Avengers movies in the same year as it would most likely affect their revenue forecasts.  It would provide a YoY increase in revenue which would be great for shareholders when the Q4 and FY'18 numbers are released, but without a tentpole movie (or two or three) of similar scale in 2019, the resulting year would see a YoY decrease in revenue which would negatively affect share price.  That or Disney would have to reduce guidance which also would negatively affect share price.

considering he works for a financial publication, Mendelson is terrible with numbers (as shown below); China will be around $45MM, Other Int'l $40MM and $30MM US, so around $1.82BB by end of weekend

The film earned $343 million worldwide last weekend, with $200m of that from China.  A drop of, offhand, 45% (it fell by 48% last weekend sans China) gives it a global weekend of around $178m worldwide this weekend. That would push its domestic total to around $598m, its overseas total to $1.278b and its global cume to a boffo $1.88b. That’s something of a spitball guess, but if it holds the line accordingly then it’ll pass $2b worldwide over Memorial Day. If it crashes hard this weekend in China and elsewhere, it’s a slightly different story. But at worst it’s in danger of making “most of the money” as opposed to “all the money.”

Edited by paperheart