• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (May-2018)
5 5

1,501 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

You would be right, if you weren't wrong.

:foryou:

Huh?

Discussion is of "Hit movies" that were so front-loaded. Literally none of the 100 movies on that list came close to grossing anywhere near $100 million domestic. 

Show me a list exclusively of films that grossed $100 million or more, and made more than 50% or their domestic total opening weekend.

Here's a hint. It's:

# 1. 50 Shades of Grey

# 2. Valentine's Day

# 3. Batman v. Superman

# 4. Watchmen

# 5. Paranormal Activity 3

15 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Huh?

Discussion is of "Hit movies" that were so front-loaded. Literally none of the 100 movies on that list came close to grossing anywhere near $100 million domestic. 

Show me a list exclusively of films that grossed $100 million or more, and made more than 50% or their domestic total opening weekend.

Here's a hint. It's:

# 1. 50 Shades of Grey

# 2. Valentine's Day

# 3. Batman v. Superman

# 4. Watchmen

# 5. Paranormal Activity 3

Huh?

You actually didn't specify movies that grossed $100M domestic as part of your criteria. That was an after-thought.

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Agreed - but RJRJR specifically questioned whether Infinity War will "double its first week" by the end of its domestic run.

I mis-read that as "weekend" and checked the usual suspects -- including those you mentioned. I legit thought it would be Harry Potter 8 -- which was legendary at the time for how fast it fell.

It lost 72% in its second weekend -- from $169 million to just $47 million -- that's $120 million worse in second frame.

_Still_ was the # 1 film of the year.

Nope -- turns out I was wrong -- BvS had worse overall legs.

Here's a hint. You were going down the right path with Harry Potter 8 with the few you called out. But 'Fault In Our Stars' beat it based on your new criteria.

HFjM906.jpg

39 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Huh?

You actually didn't specify movies that grossed $100M domestic as part of your criteria. That was an after-thought.

Here's a hint. You were going down the right path with Harry Potter 8 with the few you called out. But 'Fault In Our Stars' beat it based on your new criteria.

HFjM906.jpg

Dude - that's "front-loaded first weekends," as in "greatest fall from Friday to Sunday of its first weekend."

Try again, but comparing "first weekend gross" to "final gross." (i.e., compare column 2 to column 3. Column 1 doesn't matter).

In other words, look at films that grossed >$100 million (i.e., "hit films") where column 2 (first weekend gross) was >50% of column 3 (total domestic gross).

Harry Potter 8 doesn't fit -- $169/$381 = 44%.

Neither does Fault in Our Stars -- $48/$124 = 38%

Paranormal Activity 3 (# 20 above) does fit, as $52.5/$104 = 50.5%. The film made more than 1/2 its domestic gross its opening weekend.

But it's beaten by the four other films I listed.

5 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Agreed - but RJRJR specifically questioned whether Infinity War will "double its first week" by the end of its domestic run.

I mis-read that as "weekend" and checked the usual suspects -- including those you mentioned. I legit thought it would be Harry Potter 8 -- which was legendary at the time for how fast it fell.

It lost 72% in its second weekend -- from $169 million to just $47 million -- that's $120 million worse in second frame.

_Still_ was the # 1 film of the year.

Nope -- turns out I was wrong -- BvS had worse overall legs.

I'm glad someone read what I wrote.  I was talking about the 1st week.  This movie has not double it's first week domestically yet.

I'll let everyone get back to the whataboutism that overtook this thread.

Edited by rjrjr

55 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

I'm glad someone read what I wrote.  I was talking about the 1st week.  This movie has not double it's first week domestically yet.

I'll let everyone get back to the whataboutism that overtook this thread.

$2BB- anything else is looking for a black speck in a golden cloud. $4BB year for the MCU ^^

7 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Dude - that's "front-loaded first weekends," as in "greatest fall from Friday to Sunday of its first weekend."

Try again, but comparing "first weekend gross" to "final gross." (i.e., compare column 2 to column 3. Column 1 doesn't matter).

In other words, look at films that grossed >$100 million (i.e., "hit films") where column 2 (first weekend gross) was >50% of column 3 (total domestic gross).

Harry Potter 8 doesn't fit -- $169/$381 = 44%.

Neither does Fault in Our Stars -- $48/$124 = 38%

Paranormal Activity 3 (# 20 above) does fit, as $52.5/$104 = 50.5%. The film made more than 1/2 its domestic gross its opening weekend.

But it's beaten by the four other films I listed.

So when you first stated 'least leggiest movie' and noted it as BvS, which was shown to be incorrect, then we narrow down the criteria to >$100M domestic. Then when you are shown those that truly were least leggiest because the bulk of their box office was the opening weekend, that doesn't work.

You should stick to your hate-on. That works better.

If there was ever any doubt Infinity War is going to break $2B worldwide...

It looks like Avengers: Infinity War is about to smash yet another box-office milestone. According to a new report, the sequel has been granted a rare theatrical extension in China that will urge its worldwide gross beyond $2 billion.

Deadline’s latest piece reports Avengers: Infinity War has been given a 30-day extension in China. The film will have an extra month to rake in box-office bucks, and the blockbuster has already grossed $360 million in China to date. This is the third theatrical extension Disney has secured as Coco and Zootopia enjoyed similar treatment; However, this is the first MCU title to enjoy the added time.

Thanks to the latest films falling hard, it looks like China needed to fill the void with something more meaningful.

:banana:

15 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Huh?

HFjM906.jpg

:whatthe:  The One Direction movie actually brought in more than $1M? Who would pay to watch that?  doh!

7 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

So......Brolin wears his Thanos costume to roll around in all the money he is banking from Infinity War and Deadpool 2 this year? (worship)

3 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

So have we crossed the $2B threshold yet?  We gotta be close at this point right?

add in $6mm China thru Thurs + $4MM other Int'l thru Wed to the reported #'s and it's about $20MM away.  probably come up just short thru Sun.

brought the 17 yr. old daughter yesterday for her first viewing---she loved it.  somehow, she had missed ragnarok and the doc, and those are set for a double-feature next week.  

the more i see it, the more i love thor in it---by far his high-water mark imo.

Edited by Straw-Man

18 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

brought the 17 yr. old daughter yesterday for her first viewing---she loved it.  somehow, she had missed ragnarok and the doc, and those are set for a double-feature next week.  

the more i see it, the more i love thor in it---by far his high-water mark imo.

How far are you from beating the record of 42 viewings?

Edited by Bosco685

11th time for me tonight. I still find myself smiling, somber, emotional, joyful and more when watching this. I still get goosebumps when Thor shows up to the final battle and does the jump-slam with the hammer. I just don't see how any comic book fan could not love this movie. It's a living, breathing comic book. My favorite sequence is the Titan Dr.Strange/Thanos battle segueing into the Iron Man/Thanos battle. Perfection. 

Edited by Chip Cataldo