• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (May-2018)
5 5

1,501 posts in this topic

i finally got around to seeing this a few weeks back. I have to say it was way better than I thought it would be. Really, really really well done! As a movie fan more than a fan of the genre, I found - for me at least - the movie to be be nicely self contained and requires no conclusion, more so if I think of Thanos as the main character. I say this as a credit to the directors craftsmanship in creating something which is dependent on so much preceding it and yet seems to stand so independent at the same time. Bravo! Not one of the best superhero movies I have seen but one of the best movies I have seen.

The best thing about this movie besides the above is that It made me finally get around to seeing Ragnarok. What a blast!

On 6/10/2018 at 10:49 AM, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

She deserves to be excommunicated for such blasphemylol.

***I'm trying to time my 1000th post for when this movie hits $2B

too late. w/ the $900K from China on Monday and the $1.5MM upward adjustment from the weekend, it's already happened

22 hours ago, Mr Sneeze said:

i finally got around to seeing this a few weeks back. I have to say it was way better than I thought it would be. Really, really really well done! As a movie fan more than a fan of the genre, I found - for me at least - the movie to be be nicely self contained and requires no conclusion, more so if I think of Thanos as the main character. I say this as a credit to the directors craftsmanship in creating something which is dependent on so much preceding it and yet seems to stand so independent at the same time. Bravo! Not one of the best superhero movies I have seen but one of the best movies I have seen.

The best thing about this movie besides the above is that It made me finally get around to seeing Ragnarok. What a blast!

Since it was on Netflix I watched Thor again and it’s such a great movie.  After seeing IW and Thor twice each I definetely pick new Thor as the more enjoyable flick.

On 6/8/2018 at 7:48 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

11th time for me tonight. I still find myself smiling, somber, emotional, joyful and more when watching this. I still get goosebumps when Thor shows up to the final battle and does the jump-slam with the hammer. I just don't see how any comic book fan could not love this movie. It's a living, breathing comic book. My favorite sequence is the Titan Dr.Strange/Thanos battle segueing into the Iron Man/Thanos battle. Perfection. 

Agreed. This is an awesome flick. 

As far as the number of times you are going, is there a prize for the ticket that takes the movie across the $2B mark? 

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Since it was on Netflix I watched Thor again and it’s such a great movie.  After seeing IW and Thor twice each I definetely pick new Thor as the more enjoyable flick.

We finally watched Ragnarok with the kids on Netflix as well this weekend, and nobody really cared for it. The humor was too forced at times. Seeing Surtur destroy Asgard was cool, and Blanchett was great as Hela, but otherwise the movie felt like it was searching too hard for an identity - bromance comedy or a more traditional super hero film. It is a middle of the pack Marvel film.

Edited by kimik

5 minutes ago, kimik said:

Agreed. This is an awesome flick. 

As far as the number of times you are going, is there a prize for the ticket that takes the movie across the $2B mark? 

some one in China already got the golden ticket but Chip can still try to catch the guy who's seen it 44 times and was invited to the Avengers 4 premiere. http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/06/07/avengers-infinity-war-fan-marathon-4-premiere-44-times/

13 hours ago, kimik said:

We finally watched Ragnarok with the kids on Netflix as well this weekend, and nobody really cared for it. The humor was too forced at times. Seeing Surtur destroy Asgard was cool, and Blanchett was great as Hela, but otherwise the movie felt like it was searching too hard for an identity - bromance comedy or a more traditional super hero film. It is a middle of the pack Marvel film.

I agree, though my critique is harsher.  Hela was your run of the mill villain and Cate Blanchett's talents were underutilized.  The CG was poor (with regards to the Odin scene).  Character deaths were treated with absolutely no respect, like they were red suited away team members.  Valkyrie did not strike a chord in me until her flashback sequence showed how much pain she had experienced in the past, but by then, the movie was on its way into the 3rd act.  Tonally, the movie was far too much like Guardians of the Galaxy.  If I wanted that kind of movie, I would have watched GotG 1 or 2.  Far too much attention on Korg.  I don't understand the Marvel fanbases love of the character.  To me it's like the director wanted a bigger role so wrote himself into more scenes.  I know he didn't die in the snap, but Gods almighty, I wish he had.  Overall, I left Ragnarok thinking, "I hope there's no more Thor movies".  And yet, I'm in the vast vast minority since soooooo many Marvel fans seem to hold Ragnarok as a top 3 movie.  I just don't get it.  I watched it once in theaters and then attempted to watch it twice on long haul international flights.  Both times I fell asleep...and I can never fall asleep on planes (I flew a 9 hour first class flight once and couldn't even fall asleep with a lie flat bed!).  Bottom 5 for me.

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

I agree, though my critique is harsher.  Hela was your run of the mill villain and Cate Blanchett's talents were underutilized.  The CG was poor (with regards to the Odin scene).  Character deaths were treated with absolutely no respect, like they were red suited away team members.  Valkyrie did not strike a chord in me until her flashback sequence showed how much pain she had experienced in the past, but by then, the movie was on its way into the 3rd act.  Tonally, the movie was far too much like Guardians of the Galaxy.  If I wanted that kind of movie, I would have watched GotG 1 or 2.  Far too much attention on Korg.  I don't understand the Marvel fanbases love of the character.  To me it's like the director wanted a bigger role so wrote himself into more scenes.  I know he didn't die in the snap, but Gods almighty, I wish he had.  Overall, I left Ragnarok thinking, "I hope there's no more Thor movies".  And yet, I'm in the vast vast minority since soooooo many Marvel fans seem to hold Ragnarok as a top 3 movie.  I just don't get it.  I watched it once in theaters and then attempted to watch it twice on long haul international flights.  Both times I fell asleep...and I can never fall asleep on planes (I flew a 9 hour first class flight once and couldn't even fall asleep with a lie flat bed!).  Bottom 5 for me.

It was nowhere near as good at GotG 1 or even 2 from a comedy hero flick perspective. I am glad that we did not spend any $$$ on Ragnarok at the theatre as I felt the same way about it as some of my other collector friends did - they tried to hard to make it funny and that killed what could have been a much better movie.

3 minutes ago, kimik said:

It was nowhere near as good at GotG 1 or even 2 from a comedy hero flick perspective. I am glad that we did not spend any $$$ on Ragnarok at the theatre as I felt the same way about it as some of my other collector friends did - they tried to hard to make it funny and that killed what could have been a much better movie.

I personally think there is a little psychological magic at play here.  I think the bar was set so low after Dark World that anything was going to be better than it.  I also think that people liked GotG so much that they associate the humor from Ragnarok with it and thus have a better impression of the movie as a result of it.  I suppose the only way to test the theory out would be to find a group of people who have never watched any Marvel movie and have them watch GotG 1, GotG 2, and Ragnarok (in that order) and ask them how they would rank the 3 movies.

I just watched the movie again this weekend and a small detail popped out at me that I never noticed before.

In Endgame when Hawkeye and Black Widow go to Vormir, Red Skull meets them as he always greets people: by saying their name and naming their parents.  When he identifies Natasha, he says the name of her father...a name she claimed not to know.  This seems to mean that Red Skull identifies a parent in the most biological sense of the word and not necessarily the one who raised you. 

But back in Infinity War, when Thanos and Gamora arrive, Gamora is identified as "Daughter of Thanos", despite not being biologically related to him (or is she? hm ).

What gives?

12 minutes ago, Turtle said:

I just watched the movie again this weekend and a small detail popped out at me that I never noticed before.

In Endgame when Hawkeye and Black Widow go to Vormir, Red Skull meets them as he always greets people: by saying their name and naming their parents.  When he identifies Natasha, he says the name of her father...a name she claimed not to know.  This seems to mean that Red Skull identifies a parent in the most biological sense of the word and not necessarily the one who raised you. 

But back in Infinity War, when Thanos and Gamora arrive, Gamora is identified as "Daughter of Thanos", despite not being biologically related to him (or is she? hm ).

What gives?

1 of 2 things:

A. Gamora is, in fact, the biological daughter of Thanos.
B. Red Skull identifies that Gamora considers Thanos to be her father, and Natasha does not have a father-figure, so he identifies her biological father.

My theory:

The Children of Thanos are his biological kids. He decimated, "saved", and turned their planets into "paradises" because he has a connection to them.

Edit: I did notice the same exact thing when I re-watched Infinity War about a week ago.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus