• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (May-2018)
5 5

1,501 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

Happy to be proven wrong on this one. Looks like it just may catch up to TFA after all (roughly 100 mill to go). Saw it a 5th time yesterday & it gets better with every viewing.:cloud9: Can't wait to watch it a few dozen times at home.:bigsmile:

5th time!? We need to exchange notes...I’m doing life wrong. I barely have time to sleep...

This isn't frontloaded at all. Now The Last Jedi, Civil War, and Batman vs. Superman, they were frontloaded.. IW has had great holds every weekend. Last weekend it only decreased -39% from the previous. That's a good hold.

Edited by Larryw7
Spell check

12 hours ago, rjrjr said:

Will it be able to double it’s first week by the time it is over? I do not remember a hit movie being so front loaded. Probably the future of cinema.

You may be right in terms of super-front-loaded.

I think the last Harry Potter film (Deathly Hallows Part 2) is the gold standard for that right now:

$381 million domestic (good for # 1 film of the year in 2011) but made $169 million of that its opening weekend -- 44% of its total.

Internationally it finished at $1.3 billion -- again, a lot for 7 years.

6 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

This isn't frontloaded at all. Now The Last Jedi, Civil War, and Batman vs. Superman, they were frontloaded.. IW has had great holds every weekend. Last weekend it only decreased -39% from the previous. That's a good hold.

Dang. You got me.

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Suckness:

$166 million its opening weekend -- 50.3% of its total domestic take of $330 million. So there's a case of "didn't even double its first weekend money."

I didn't find any others -- the last Harry Potter, last Twilight film, Last Jedi, Civil War, even Green Lantern all made more than double their opening weekends.

Edited by Gatsby77

I wasn't talking about doubling opening weekends, just "weak legs" after the opening. All of the films I mentioned collapsed quickly after the first weekend. For TLJ, it had Christmas holiday weekdays, so its performance is considered particularly weak by box office analysts.

Edited by Larryw7

40 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Dang. You got me.

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Suckness:

I'm the one with a screw loose that fixates on a movie and franchise excessively?

:insane:

27 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

I wasn't talking about doubling opening weekends, just "weak legs" after the opening. All of the films I mentioned collapsed quickly after the first weekend. For TLJ, it had Christmas holiday weekends, so its performance is considered particularly weak by box office analysts.

Agreed - but RJRJR specifically questioned whether Infinity War will "double its first week" by the end of its domestic run.

I mis-read that as "weekend" and checked the usual suspects -- including those you mentioned. I legit thought it would be Harry Potter 8 -- which was legendary at the time for how fast it fell.

It lost 72% in its second weekend -- from $169 million to just $47 million -- that's $120 million worse in second frame.

_Still_ was the # 1 film of the year.

Nope -- turns out I was wrong -- BvS had worse overall legs.

9 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Agreed - but RJRJR specifically questioned whether Infinity War will "double its first week" by the end of its domestic run.

I mis-read that as "weekend" and checked the usual suspects -- including those you mentioned. I legit thought it would be Harry Potter 8 -- which was legendary at the time for how fast it fell.

It lost 72% in its second weekend -- from $169 million to just $47 million -- that's $120 million worse in second frame.

Watchmen $55MM opening weekend, $107MM total domestic.  Like the Mendosa line in baseball, it's the Snyder line in BO land

Edited by paperheart

8 minutes ago, paperheart said:

Watchmen $55MM opening weekend, $107MM total domestic.  Like the Mendosa line in baseball, it's the Snyder line in BO land

Yeah - but I thought Watchmen was a good movie.

Risky as hell, given the no-name characters, its nearly 3-hour run-time and subject matter (like the graphic rape scene and graphic violence).

I remember sitting there after the lights went up, thinking:

• I'm impressed - it was a decent adaptation
  • Huh - it actually improved on the comic in several ways (like, no freakin' squid!)
  • Who the hell did the studio think this movie was for?

It's like they made it for the die-hard comic fans, _knowing_ it would be impenetrable and/or boring to literally everyone else.

Seriously - good movie, but _hard_ to watch if you haven't read the book.

46 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

You would be right, if you weren't wrong.

:foryou:

All 20 of these movies received the bulk of their revenue during opening weekend. Then drastically dropped from there.

Most Front-Loaded Movies

yfyLdnf.jpg

And what a shame, as 'In the Name of the King' sounded like it could be a winning video game movie. Not so much!

21 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Now leggiest movies is quite interesting.

Flashdance is #6??!! :whatthe:

The literal definition of a leggy movie.