• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Under/Over-Graded CGC Books

102 posts in this topic

I'm just going strictly on eye appeal here. No graders' notes have been purchased, but I subbed the 3.0 myself and don't recall any major interior problems. Of course, I could have missed something. Bought the 4.5 already slabbed.

And I wholeheartedly agree that grading just based on a scan is not very accurate. Again, just strictly going on the eye appeal test, which book would you prefer?

These are both in my collection. Same scanner, same settings. One of these two grades as a 3.0 cr/ow and the other grades as 4.5 cr/ow.

Label notes on the first one: 2 staples added, not manufacturing. 2 tape stains on spine of cover.

scan0003a.jpg

scan0004a.jpg

No label notes on the second:

scan0001a.jpg

scan0002a.jpg

When you've decided, check out the grades:

scan0003.jpg

scan0001.jpg

Walter I'd take that 3.0 all day and smile from ear to ear. Looks even better than a 4.5 to me.

It might just be a scanner artifact but there does appear to be a lot going on on the right hand side. (shrug)

That's what I thought too

No SCS,or any damage.Just an unpressed square bound book.

Do you have a higher res scan of this book? Front and back?

It might just be a scanner artifact but there does appear to be a lot going on on the right hand side. (shrug)

If we're guessing, my money's on a small stain on either the front or back.

No. It's just overhang,guess I'll manage a beautiful white paged pedigree key. :eyeroll:

No stain.

No stain.

No notes, right?

I've seen some really HG looking squarebounds where the cover slightly separates from the interior spine glue or the glue wasn't even there in the first place. No idea how CGC handles that but I guess it could be the case here.

No stain.

No notes, right?

I've seen some really HG looking squarebounds where the cover slightly separates from the interior spine glue or the glue wasn't even there in the first place. No idea how CGC handles that but I guess it could be the case here.

Who knows,never got the notes. I was just happy to have a high grade copy of my favorite X book. (shrug)

No stain.

No notes, right?

Who knows,never got the notes. I was just happy to have a high grade copy of my favorite X book. (shrug)

That's cool. It presents like a champ too.

You should get it pressed and regraded. :devil:

My entire CGC buying experience is built on finding undergraded books. Not necessarily for the CPR, but sometimes it happens.

No stain.

No notes, right?

hm

That's cool. It presents like a champ too.

You should get it pressed and regraded. :devil:

My entire CGC buying experience is built on finding undergraded books. Not necessarily for the CPR, but sometimes it happens.

hm Edited by oakman29

I know you don't do CPR, Oak.

You got me thinking,just maybe..... :wishluck:

Should I drink the Kool Aid?

Don't do it. That's a beautiful book. I will have one someday. :luhv:

On 1/14/2015 at 4:13 PM, Darkowl said:

Out of curiosity, do you guys have books that you feel were under-graded or over-graded by CGC? Do you have a 4.0 that looks better than one of your 6.5's? I would love to see some examples of this, especially side by side comparisons.

Please provide the link, If this topic has already been discussed. Thanks guys!

Yeah, I have an serious issue with CGC's grading practices. How can this issue of She-Hulk #1 receive a 9.8 grade with a detached bottom staple? Seriously...???

s-l400.jpg