• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Carl Barks - Authentic or Counterfeit???

7 posts in this topic

Dunno, but the lines in the first drawing look Barksian to me. The sig does look like the simplified older Barks one too. But it's hard to say, because they're simple drawings and sigs. (shrug)

Well, that was helpful. :insane:

For each of the 100 copies of the Gold Plate Edition books, Barks drew 100 different and individually signed sketches of Mickey (the actual drawings were 3 1/2" to 4" tall) - again, only one was included in each special book.

If that were truly the case, to me there appears to be a few differences between these 2 drawings.

Here are a few that have made me suspicious and question the authenticity:

1. Difference in the signatures - subtle, but the shape of the B on top, the upward slant on the A, the round upper part of the R and the tail end of the S.

2. The shape of the yellow buttons/ eyes.

3. The thin white line across the upper part of Mickey's ear.

4. The shape of the line across the red shorts.

I know that there were 100 original pieces created for the Gold Plate Edition books - but if you look closely at the version on the Disneyanaplus page (3rd piece, 2nd photograph) and compare it to the eBay listing there are distinct differences.

I'm trying to get my head around the possibility that if there were only 100 individual pieces created, and these two pictures show distinct differences, that one of them is either a re-creation or a counterfeit. There weren't two originals of the same piece in a book.