Carl Barks - Authentic or Counterfeit???

7 posts in this topic

2,451 posts

Hmmm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carl-Barks-Original-color-pencil-art-from-Mickey-Mouse-in-Color-THRU-THE-MIRROR-/271743855630?

I say "Not so sure of anything".

I believe this one (below) to be authentic

http://disneyanaplus.com/index.php/en/carl-barks/original-art.html

What say you???

Edited by Mxwll Smrt

5,506 posts

Dunno, but the lines in the first drawing look Barksian to me. The sig does look like the simplified older Barks one too. But it's hard to say, because they're simple drawings and sigs. (shrug)

Well, that was helpful. :insane:

3,223 posts

Why are you sure the first one is a fake? (shrug)

Barks did a number of different drawings/colourings for the "Through the Mirror" book and this (to my ageing eyes) looks like it is a fit with the rest of them.

2,451 posts

For each of the 100 copies of the Gold Plate Edition books, Barks drew 100 different and individually signed sketches of Mickey (the actual drawings were 3 1/2" to 4" tall) - again, only one was included in each special book.

If that were truly the case, to me there appears to be a few differences between these 2 drawings.

Here are a few that have made me suspicious and question the authenticity:

1. Difference in the signatures - subtle, but the shape of the B on top, the upward slant on the A, the round upper part of the R and the tail end of the S.

2. The shape of the yellow buttons/ eyes.

3. The thin white line across the upper part of Mickey's ear.

4. The shape of the line across the red shorts.

Edited by Mxwll Smrt

2,299 posts

Almost certainly genuine. You can read about those drawings, which Barks did in his late 80's, in this wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mouse_in_Color

My only slight hesitation is that there are people out there who would try to counterfeit anything Barks related.

2,451 posts

I know that there were 100 original pieces created for the Gold Plate Edition books - but if you look closely at the version on the Disneyanaplus page (3rd piece, 2nd photograph) and compare it to the eBay listing there are distinct differences.

I'm trying to get my head around the possibility that if there were only 100 individual pieces created, and these two pictures show distinct differences, that one of them is either a re-creation or a counterfeit. There weren't two originals of the same piece in a book.

Edited by Mxwll Smrt

2,451 posts

Something I didn't think of is that it may also be authentic and the publisher of the Gold Edition's actually had more than 100 individual pieces done by Barks in case of damaged product.